Thread: Hi from Holland

Default Hi from Holland

Hey there everyone

My name is Ralph, I'm a 32 years old guy from a small village in the east of the Netherlands.
    Bushcraft and learning primitive skills have been hobbies of mine for years and at the moment i'm preparing to live off the grid.

How off grid?.. Well let's say that next year I will pick up my bag, get on my bike and head east to wherever the road takes me, but the plan is to leave the concrete jungle and to survive and trive in the Russian forests.
    It has not been a hasty decision as I have been planning and preparing for two years learning whatever I need to learn on a daily basis.

Some may consider it foolish but I consider not following your dreams to be even more foolish. I have taken a good critical look at myself and I accept the risks and realise it is not going to be easy to go from Cityboy to Nomad in notime. But if I believe I can do it then it is well worth it.

Until I will leave urban reality I will be as active as I can on this forum and I'm glad to be part of it

Greetings Ralph
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-04-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Removed link to blog

Hello and welcome. Good luck with your journey. I removed the link to your blog as it violates our spamming policy. You can put the link in your signature which will give you the benefit of it showing up with every post you make (it may not show up until you have more than 10 posts).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Groetjes mijneer.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome....Good luck on your journey.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome from NH/FL Ralph, there is plenty of information on this site and friendly people.
    Jim

Thanks everyone and sorry about that crashdive123 will post it in my sig

Welcome !!!!!!

Welcome to WSF.

That would be some forest to explore. There's 3 times the land mass of Alaska in forest, swampland, etc.

What is your transportation or pack animal? You said Nomad, so how often are you going to camp till moving on to the next spot?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Thanks for asking

My transportation vehicle is the bicycle.. I'm 32 years old yet I never took the time and effort to get a drivers license, I never felt like needing a ride (guess i'm quite the minimalist) and since I spend alot of money on my gear a planeticket is also out of the question. awell... cycling has some benefits such as being able to drive through places you can't with a car. A bicycle can break down easily however and when it does I would have to ditch it and contnue on foot. I'm only carying a small repair kit.
    How long it will take to cycle from Holland to Russia? I have no idea.. but I will have to make several stops along the way to rest and sleep in quickly build shelters.

The reason I said nomad is because finding a place that has all the resources to survive and thrive at one location is quite rare. So if I do however, I will settle down... Until then it's collecting (not destroying) local materials and head on after a few more days.

Living in the wild is the challenge but cycling such a distance is a challenge all by itself.. better get into some fitness soon
    Heading "Into the wild" by May 2013
    Follow me at http://thedutchhermit.blogspot.nl/

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Oh Lord!

A European ROTTW effort.

They're everywhere! They're everywhere!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

ROTTW? Googled it but with no results..
    Enlighten me please

run off to the woods

Welcome from N.W. Az. and stay safe..
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Ahh.. well he's right then.. I'm just not sure if i'm running away because I dislike citylife or because I need to be in the woods.. maybe a combination of both
    Yes we are everywhere, the forests are going to be littered with little forest dwellers like me

Thanks woodmaster750

Heh. Just keep in mind that the Russian forests in winter beat both Napoleon and Hitler, and just about everyone else that came against them. Have fun.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I love history so I know what you are talking about. and you're right, that's something to keep in the back of my mind.
    That's also the only reason why I start my journey in early spring next year and I have been thinking about heading south east once I enter Russia.

Russia is huge enough to cover many different climates, how cold it gets realy depends on the area you're in.

Welcome to the forum Ralph. I like the way you think young fella. I hitch-hiked from Ontario to British Columbia when I was sixteen, thinking along the same lines as you. We HAVE to do what we have to do brother. I'll be watch'n for your threads to see what you're up to. Cheers! lb
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...