Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Costas

Default Bob Costas

I had someone get "un-happy" with me, because I said that Bob Costas has the right to say what he wants. I also said that I think NBC should fire him for it, and anyone at NBC that approved it should also be fired. I also said that I doubt I will not be watching Bob Costas, or NBC as long as he is on it.

Here is the thing.....I don't think the guy who was "un-happy" with me understands that having freedom of speech does not remove the consequences for what you say. Am I the only one who gets that?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I get it and approve this message.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have no idea what Bob Costas said due to never watching network news. I do not want to know what he said, since the aversion to logical thought has imbedded itself in the present media of the U.S. Neither do I feel obligated to know what my enemies are thinking so I can counter it, since they have no ability to accept logical discussion or admit a false premise.

I do not expect them to agree with me on any subject and if they did I would seek counseling immidiately.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-03-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Bob Costas is a sport reporter and is a rabid ANTI gun guy who used his tv spot on NBC to voice anti-gun trash.
    Last edited by Mischief; 12-03-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Every action has consequences whether good or bad. I learned early on that just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD do it. Also, if Costas is a sports reporter and anti-gun, perhaps he should cover Camp Perry next year. Might give him perspective on how to stay within the scope of his job description......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I generally respect Costas as one of the finest sports reporters in the world. I didn't hear his comments so I can't say much about them. Certainly he has a right to his opinions, although one of his assertions (that I saw in print) is almost certainly wrong, and that is saying both would be alive if not for the gun. Plenty of homicides are committed with knives, clubs, chairs, bare hands, fire, poison, etc. Anyone disturbed enough to do what he did would have done something terrible with whatever tool was at hand.

I agree he should be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I had someone get "un-happy" with me, because I said that Bob Costas has the right to say what he wants. I also said that I think NBC should fire him for it, and anyone at NBC that approved it should also be fired. I also said that I doubt I will not be watching Bob Costas, or NBC as long as he is on it.

Here is the thing.....I don't think the guy who was "un-happy" with me understands that having freedom of speech does not remove the consequences for what you say. Am I the only one who gets that?

If we fired everyone who said stupid things, there would be no one left. We're all getting so darn sensitive these days, and that, to me, is the bigger issue.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    If we fired everyone who said stupid things, there would be no one left. We're all getting so darn sensitive these days, and that, to me, is the bigger issue.
    It's not a sensitivity issue for me, but rather a public figure, with a microphone espousing a point of view that attacks the rights of every citizen. I wonder how ole Bob would feel as a journalist if people of prominence that could influence the direction of the conversation and ultimately legislation would come out and say that as a sports journalist he was not allowed to make the comments he did.

I doubt that too many people really give two hoots what his position on the issue is, but actions do and should have consequences. Since the views he expressed have also been voiced by much of the leadership in his network I doubt there will be much backlash........unlike Juan Williams, Don Imus, etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sadly the media is allowed to offer their opinion, on subjects that can't be argued on the air, wrong use of their format....IMHO, and consequences may apply.
    (fancy way to say the guy is a Richard Cranium, and I have lost any respect, or credence of his words)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

He can sniff anal vapors for all I care.....how is he an authority anyway?

Watch the Washington idiots...they are more the threat.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Hear-hear!

From my father and other elders, I learned that every right or privilege in life carries a concomitant responsibility... something that the late Paul Harvey might have called "the rest of the story". In the military, for example, rank truly does have its privileges. The rest of the story is that rank also has its responsibilities. They come as a package deal; if you want one, you must also accept the other.

Folks, if we intend to support the Second Amendment -- and I'm sure we all do -- we must also support the entire "package deal." We must also support the other nine Amendments that make up our entire Bill of Rights. Costas' comments are doubly protected under the First Amendment (freedom of speech, freedom of the press). No one has to like what he said, and no one has to continue listening to him, but IMO anyone who claims to be a true American should fully support his right to say what he did. That is true even if we think of him as a Richard Cranium (thanks, Hunter 63, for an addition to my vocabulary!).

One more example. If we support the rights of actors Charlton Heston and Tom Selleck to state their viewpoints on Second Amendment issues, we must also support the rights of actors Sean Penn and Rosie O'Donnell to state their viewpoints. Any other action, I think, paves the way to censorship and the LOSS of freedom for everyone.

As always: "That's my opinion: oughta be yours!"

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 12-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.

That sports announcers opinion means nothing to me, and by using his spot on the media to bash gun ownership, he has probably only helped to promote gun ownership, because everybody knows he doesn't have a clue what our ammendments are all about and he just proved it!
    What he has forgotten is that most sports enthusiasts also loves hunting and firearms, so he has more than likely hurt himself much more than he has hurt the right to bear arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post

Folks, if we intend to support the Second Amendment -- and I'm sure we all do -- we must also support the entire "package deal." We must also support the other nine Amendments that make up our entire Bill of Rights. Costas' comments are doubly protected under the First Amendment (freedom of speech, freedom of the press). No one has to like what he said, and no one has to continue listening to him, but IMO anyone who claims to be a true American should fully support his right to say what he did.

-- Nighteyes
    +1
    That's really at the heart of it.
    The Bill of Rights is not a Chinese menu. You loose credibility when you pick and choose.

The Bill of Rights is not a Chinese menu.
    Love it; simply love it! Thanks for yet another analogy to add to my "collection", BENESSE!

Some good posts in this thread.

What concerns me is the outrage of any 1st Amendment slight, and that people are willing to give HUGE ground on the 2nd Amendment.

It's important to know the difference in the word "arms" and the word "firearm". Suffice to say, "Arms" aren't for hunting deer.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Default Fwiw

Costas is supposed to appear on O'Riley's tomorrow (Wed) and O'Riley promises to ask some hard questions.
    I'll be watching.