Thread: Looking for a good survival bag

Default Looking for a good survival bag

Ok, I need HELP!

My main pach is a Frost river Jr and I am in love with it. However, Whenever I am out and about for the day I need something much smaller to just carry a few things. I have been looking at the "sling" type packs, the ones that go across your body. This is approx what I will be putting in it...oh and it will be used all year long...

Wallet
    Keys
    Sog Multi tool
    Compass
    Survival kit (4"x6"x1 1/2")
    small petzel headlamp
    Fall. DC4 sharpen stone
    small water bottle
    water pur tabs
    Fire kit

The items above will always be in the pack, these items I would like to have the room to stuff them in if need be

Like to be able to attach my small axe to the pack (not a big deal but would be nice)
    rain gear

Second question...Anyone have any good ideas for small fire kit bags?

I just ordered this for Mr. B:
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69232...waway-day-pack

He needed an innocuous, slim, functional get home bag and the reviews were compelling. It seems to hold a lot (more than your list and his) and yet it it doesn't look cumbersome and it's not heavy by itself.
    In his case, he works in a highrise in Manhattan wears a suit every day so he didn't want to draw attention to himself at the time he might want to fly under the radar. Of course, might be different for you depending on where you live/work.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The one strap sling bags do not work for me. That is an opiion based on daily carry of some kind of bag, pack or satchel for the better part of 55 years as either a student or teacher. Want a real test of a pack? Load half a set of encycloepdias in it and tote them around for half a day!

I do often carry a regular bag by only one strap but the ones that are engieneered with only one strap have the strap placed wrong for my taste. They seem to always want to slip around and droop, turning into a satchel hanging from the side rather than a pack.

I would rather have the option of using both straps in case I do have to carry more weight in it than I anticipated.

That is just my preference and anyone else can have any opinion on bags other than the ones I have used at their own discretion.

Second question, my fire kits work out better in hard shell waterproof containers than in "bags", although there is usually a zip lock holding the contents inside the containter.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Be aware that the quest for the perfect pack, for a (fill in a reason), is a life long undertaking......What works for some, doesn't work for others, or your need changes.

You start small, add stuff till youn "need" something bigger, till you can't carry it any more....Then start over.

You can tell how long you have been searching, by the number of packs laying around, or have been re-purposed to other uses.
    Just a FYI.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Military surplus is your friend.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I guess I'm still looking for the perfect one.....that must be why I have so many.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1st: Sounds like you just need a backpack from WalMart. They have some nice ones with Realtree type camo.

2nd: Your fire kit should consist of two parts, one is the ignition part and the second is the tinder part.

Ignition Bag:
    Kitchen matches in a pill bottle, heads down. Section of striker glued to inside of lid.
    Mag bar wrapped in aluminum foil (to shave into)
    Bic lighter
    Fire steel

This is the MINIMUM. Additional items may be added to suit your preference, however these things should be in EVERY ignition it.

Tinder bag:
    Fatwood sticks
    cotton balls
    cotton balls smeared in petroleum jelly stored in a baggie or pill bottle
    Coglans or other fire starter sticks
    Hand sanatizer

For full explanation of how each is used, try Google. I will be putting together a video on his very topic at a later date (My computer is totally down right now)

Good luck,
    Andrew

I have a REI Flash 18 that is similar to the pack Benesee ordered for "Mr B". It's light in itself and is a simple top-loader type bag.The only mod I made was to add some of those fuzzy seatbelt pads for the shoulder straps. It has mesh pockets on the sides.
    I have fire kits in eyeglass cases, altoid tins and even a small zippered case made for glucose testing kits.
    They all have multiple kinds of spark/flame makers and any kind of tinder that works even when it's wet out.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Thanks for all the info guys! I do have a nice Remington backpack but I just wanted to cut down the size and weight. I may just keep using it for now but was wondering if anyone had an experience with the "sling bags" for lack of not knowing what they are called...lol. As for items that should be in fire kit, I feel pretty good with what I have. I think I couls start a fire under 100 feet of water...lol.

My Fire Kit...

35mm film case with cotton balls in petro jelly
    35mm film case with dry wood shavings
    water tight match case with waterproof matches
    firesteel
    fatwood
    bic lighter
    four fire tabs
    four Coglans fire sticks
    one book of regular matches

Sling bags are really neat, for the first 1/2 mile. After that it just digs into the shoulder. If I had a sling pack, Id only carry a fire kit, a flashlight and a GPS. Anything more would be too much weight to make a sling bag comfortable to carry. I think many others will chime in with similar experiences.

They are neat looking, but thats about all they have going for them.

Andrew

Would go for a black non-military looking bag. You dont want to give off the impression that "this guy is headed out of dodge with a bag full of goodies"
    Wilderness and Arctic guide. Freelance writer for ablesurvivor.com

Thanks ElevenBravo that is just the info I was looking for. I have never used a sling bag, never really thought they would be uncomfortable to wear but it dose make sense! Thanks and I think I will be going for a lighter back pack.

I carry all I can in my pockets, like my wallet, lighter, keys, knife etc. For my light hike EDC I have a camo ammo bag that goes on my belt, and has most of the basics without things hanging on my shoulders. If I am going for an extended stay, then I take my backpack. A waist pack with water bottle holder is a very handy little pack for short hikes and a get home kit for the car or truck as well.
    I start by carrying the important stuff in my pockets and go from there for the rest!

http://budk.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=174630&
    this the bag I always take when I go out in the woods. Its light, holds a lot of gear and is pretty waterproof

04-29-62
    not quite the middle of nowhere-but you can see there from here

Kinda a late reply- but I have a mountainsmith shoulder bag that I use to carry about the same things; had it for about 3-4 years now and like it real well. Have you thought about 1 of the M51 clones?

Consider a Watershed dry bag .... bombproof to the max when it comes to keeping water out, even fully submerged

http://www.drybags.com/