Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite folding knife and why?

I too have lots of favorites, but one of my all-time, and one I would like to own again is the Leek by Kershaw. Stainless, good blade hardness, good edge retention, just the right size for EDC and feels good in the hand. The speedsafe assisted opening is great too.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

All Bucks are good, but one stands above the rest for me. Those are the new 750 redpoints. The reason I like them is the action, no springs involved, unique position of safety catch, and it locks both open and closed. It can be opened by centrifugal force when the catch is depressed, or you can rotate the blade out by drawing your index finger along the specially-made tang. In either case, it opens about as quickly as a spring assisted knife, but it's sturdier, safer, and most importantly, of very simple construction, so there is less to mess up. It's been my EDC knife for two years now:

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/064/31...web4_15172.jpg

One that I forgot to mention is my tiny victorinox Swiss Army knife key chain, very small blade and a pair of scissors but it has come in handy often even the toothpick.

Those buck redpoints look nice, but of course Australian customs will not allow me to purchase one as it is able to be operated by one hand, I can buy a huge machete or sword with no problems but a small EDC is too dangerous.

Ain't that a pain? Kind of like how here in the US, concealable pistols are legal, but short barreled rifles or shotguns aren't, because they are somehow more dangerous.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Ain't that a pain? Kind of like how here in the US, concealable pistols are legal, but short barreled rifles or shotguns aren't, because they are somehow more dangerous.

You boys both know the politically correct answer to that conundrum,

Simply outlaw the LEGAL weapon!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have a 3.5" Heinkle paring knife that I am partial to. Have used it the most of any knife I have. As a folding knife just a SAK will do.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Just about the earlier post on D2 steel, correct me if I am wrong but I always though a "stainless" steel was immune to rust however my benchmade bone collector is D2 and it needs constant oiling as it will begin to rust up very quickly after use especially when it has had bore water or blood on the blade. So my point is are there stainless steels that actually rust very easily?

D-series steels are tool steels. Thier high chromium content make them semi-stainless, but this does not make them impervious. Remember though that even in the case of full stainless steels, they are not 'rust proof', but merely more resistant to rust and corrosion than low alloy steels, and some of them a lot more than others.

the D-grades are less so, because a substantial amount of their chromium is tied up in the formation of carbides. Thus the net chromium content in the bulk of the steel is much lower.
    Last edited by canid; 12-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Typical-aussie View Post
    Just about the earlier post on D2 steel, correct me if I am wrong but I always though a "stainless" steel was immune to rust however my benchmade bone collector is D2 and it needs constant oiling as it will begin to rust up very quickly after use especially when it has had bore water or blood on the blade. So my point is are there stainless steels that actually rust very easily?
    Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    D-series steels are tool steels. Thier high chromium content make them semi-stainless, but this does not make them impervious. Remember though that even in the case of full stainless steels, they are not 'rust proof', but merely more resistant to rust and corrosion than low alloy steels, and some of them a lot more than others.

the D-grades are less so, because a substantial amount of their chromium is tied up in the formation of carbides. Thus the net chromium content in the bulk of the steel is much lower.
    As Canid said....

Also as I said in an earlier post
    Actually - D2 is sometimes called a "semi-stainless". It has a fairly high chrome content (12%), but not high enough to classify it as stainless.
    but will add that D2 rusts very quickly before it is hardened. I'm not sure if an improper heat treatment will impact the speed at which it rusts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Adding to the herd....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

The folder is the middle is nice mate

My leatherman is my every day carry, but at the ranch when we are branding I us a small Winchester lock blade for ear marking and denuting BULL calves.

I carried a Vic Tinker every single day for as long as I can remember, until my wide bought me a different one about 14 years ago. It is a Victorinox and has the larger handles, and has all of the Tinker blades but has a saw as well. I have not been without that knife since she gave it to me. Fantastic knife. I use it every day for something and after all this time there is still no blade play at all. Also have either carried a LM Super Tool or a Wave for, again, as far back as I can remember. Which is a long time

Wide? Must be a Freudian slip.

Just kidding of course.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

pre War Remington UMC 2 blade R181.

Pen blade, utility blade, 3.1/2" closed, brass liners, steel bolsters ,silver escutheon brass scale pins, still 'walks & talks' like the day it was made. Good ol carbon steel...., got a few 'age marks' and a beautiful patina, just like my old Winchester thutty thutty.......
    "use enough gun......"

My favorite folder that I carry is the Schrade 34OT. I did carry the 108OT but just about wore it out.
    I am partial to Schrades and counting my Schrade Waldens I currently have 150+. Ages ago I bought
    out a Schrade/Maglite dealer for nickels on the dollar. Of course my handy Leatherman Wave is always by my
    side also.
    Jim

One of several models of SAK, as a carry everywhere, and usally something else as well.......oh yeah and SAK money clip, and SAK key chain....I like SAK's
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Opinel No.8

Why? well I got this knife when I was about 14 years old and it's the best folding knife I ever got.. Over here in europe Opinels are famous for their durability. some use them for cooking, I think they work greak for wood carving which is what I used it for.

No longer have the knife but if I ever get the chance I would buy one straight away.
    Heading "Into the wild" by May 2013
    Follow me at http://thedutchhermit.blogspot.nl/

As for leathermans I own a surge, charge and a blast I tend to only ever use the surge as it feels nice and solid also I think it has the best serrated blade which I use multiple times a day mainly on rope. I tend to stick with my old timer for most cutting jobs as I feel leathermans lack the dexterity for most jobs but they are a multi tool not simply a knife, the screwdrivers and other tools I don't use much as they are too small for most machinery I work on