Thread: Surviving the arctic.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default Surviving the arctic.

Well actually, I am 120 miles south of the Arctic Circle. But this is my thermometer tonight and "the real cold" is expected to hit us this weekend.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Most of us that live her are staunchly independent. Well, we feel like we are anyways. But in these temperatures, we are so very dependent on each other. I live in what is called a cabin patch. It's several dry cabins grouped together, out of town. Mine is 8 cabins along one back road. I'm just going to copy and paste this from another post I made because I am tired and on my way to bed.

My Alaska Karma is giving me ample opportunity to help others lately. Along with my job and opportunities made available through it, I am thankful these others have reminded me of being so humbled a bit over a year ago and all the people who came together then to help us. I was driving into town and saw a young man walking away from an old pick up on the side of the road, gas can in hand. I was on my way to work but pulled over and picked him up, brought him into town, gassed up his jug and brought him back to his truck and young love there waiting for him, in the cold. The young couple in the cabin next to us who moved in about the same time as we did, and whom I have yet to meet because they are students and also work full time so are as busy as I am, forgot to plug their car in. All cars here have at least a block heater that we plug in each night to keep the motor and fluids from freezing up. If you don't plug in, your car does not start in the morning! She was late for work and he was late for class, but I got them going again before their car totally froze up. My gas light had come on while idling with jumper cables connecting our cars, but I knew I had enough to get to the gas station on the edge of town. He offered me $5 but as I looked at the cabin next to his, was reminded of my neighbor there that had just come and crawled under my cabin last Wed. to help me clear an ice blockage from my grey water outlet pipe. I told him I'd take a rain check on a jump at some other time. Both of these things made me a bit late for work. I was happy to work over to make up the time and thankful for having a job in which I do not fear to be a few minutes late for a good cause. Then last night on my way home from work, after 8:30 and long since dark, I saw someone hitch hiking out by my place. It was several miles out of town and about -30. Now these are always "opportunities" that women driving alone must think twice about. It's cold. People can and do die in these temperatures. But picking up hitch hikers, even here were it is really fairly common is a danger. Also I think about having to be extra careful now that the kids only have one parent left. But I did anyways because it was so freaking cold out and he was a long ways from anywhere. He had missed the bus and was just trying to get home. Anyways, thanks to my friend Lara for reminding me to share these opportunities as a reminder to my friends and family to pay it forward. You get what you give and it feels good to give of oneself, even in little ways that help people in their day to day lives. It's one thing to be independent, to want to run off to the wilderness. But it's a really good thing to have even a tiny bit of help now and then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Now, that is real.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Great story!! Rep sent.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Nicely done 1stimestar.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A timely reminder. Thanks.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Wise words, great story.....reminds one that the world isn't always filled with doom and gloom.....as the feeling of "Small town America" is still alive and well.
    Thanks for posting.....
    Rep sent as well.
    Great way to get going on Saturday morning.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Screw that, I got cold at positive 20 deg! Ill come visit in the summer...

The last time that I helped someone that was having problems on a remote stretch of road, I ended up being subpoenaed seven times by the Prosecutor's office. Hopefully, I gained some ground in the karma department for that one.

Well, the smoking of the salmon did not happen this weekend. It got to -40 and at that temp, there is no way to keep the fish from freezing while being smoked lol. ARG!

Yikes! Where I live the coldest it's ever got in my lifetime was -37 F, and that felt dang cold! I can't imagine regular -40 temps!

It normally doesn't stay this cold. I have seen it stay at -40 and colder for two weeks solid though. That was pretty miserable.

You are a brave and daring woman, 1st.
    I've never hitchhiked nor have I ever picked anyone up and imagine that the first time I decide to let my guard down, something horrible's gonna happen.
    I guess I watched too many crime shows based on real life stories.

So, what's the difference between a wet cabin and a dry one?

Never mind, you answered it in the other thread.
    Last edited by finallyME; 12-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    You are a brave and daring woman, 1st.
    I've never hitchhiked nor have I ever picked anyone up and imagine that the first time I decide to let my guard down, something horrible's gonna happen.
    I guess I watched too many crime shows based on real life stories.
    I just figure that anyone out in these temps don't have shenanigans in mind, they are in trouble.

Default I might be jaded, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I just figure that anyone out in these temps don't have shenanigans in mind, they are in trouble.
    If for no other reason than entertainment, may I suggest you read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-40-Belo.../dp/0945397992

"MURDER AT FORTY BELOW is a gritty yet fascinating account of many of Alaska's most notorious and unusual murder cases. Drawn from police files, eyewitness accounts, and news reports, these stories introduce extreme criminals in an extreme land. Meet church-going big-game hunter Robert Hanson, who stalked topless dancers for more than a decade, and Robert Stroud, a construction worker who killed a bartender in Juneau, later to become the nationally known ""Birdman of Alcatraz."

Oh I'm familiar with it but haven't read it and probably wont. Like my bumper sticker says, "A lady with a gun, has more fun".