Thread: corn meal mush

Default corn meal mush

well i tried this yesterday, tastes like crap, even let it cool in a pan the tried to fry it the AM, still not working for me, i don't know, i seem cursed with corn meal too bad cuz its so cheap, good part of my stores, but i need alot more work with this stuff, other than just corn bread
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Here's a recipe that I use and like (but only make 1/4 of what it calls for) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I did not know what "corn meal mush" was until I googled it. Why would anyone want to eat that?

Fixing up cornbread is a lot like fixing up hamburger, many, many variations. Here is a link to just some of them. When we're wanting something different, I use this site and usually end up making a combination of 2 or 3 recipes by swapping a few ingredients around and what ever is on hand.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cor...ad_Recipes.htm

Add a lot of butter, some goat cheese and carmelized onions and salt.
    Call it polenta.
    Sounds tastier.

Really good with lamb.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Mercy, mercy, mercy! Corn meal mush is as simple as starting of with COLD heavily salted water and stirring in your meal, and stirring, and stirring and stirring. When thickend to your taste, top off with good old butter and you can't find a better breakfast on a cold morning. I grew up on grits, and mush. The secret to both is to start off with cold water and that's what makes them creamy and delicious! ...a little cheddar on my grits please and keep yo' cotton-pickin' hands to yourself while I'm eatin'!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep, I grew up on corn meal mush. Put some butter, milk, and sugar on it. Yum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

When you fry it try it with maple syrup.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    well i tried this yesterday, tastes like crap, even let it cool in a pan the tried to fry it the AM, still not working for me, i don't know, i seem cursed with corn meal too bad cuz its so cheap, good part of my stores, but i need alot more work with this stuff, other than just corn bread
    One does not eat corn meal products for the corn meal product, the product is simply the carrier for the goodies one puts on the product! You are expecting something that has no taste to become palatable when prepared. It ain't going to happen.

I even load my cornbread up with bacon grease and sugar and eggs in the batter.

Note that in each of the preceeding posts the person is refering to what they put onto the mush, not the mush itself!

I feel the same way about oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta, bread and any other number of bulk food items.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Aghhh!!!

I grew up on mush as well, thanks for bringing the nightmares back WE! Anyway, try making corn meal muffins with blueberries, or any other berries you might find. I use corn meal with flour for breading Pork, Chicken, and Fish. About 50/50 with Lawry's Seasoning Salt. I use milk with a beaten egg in it for the liquid and double dip the food into both mixtures.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    One does not eat corn meal products for the corn meal product, the product is simply the carrier for the goodies one puts on the product! You are expecting something that has no taste to become palatable when prepared. It ain't going to happen.

I even load my cornbread up with bacon grease and sugar and eggs in the batter.

Note that in each of the preceeding posts the person is refering to what they put onto the mush, not the mush itself!

I feel the same way about oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta, bread and any other number of bulk food items.
    Lol true. It's a medium for getting butter into my mouth!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

call it polenta, call it whatever you want, i did stir and stir and stir, and i added cheese and i added butter and i added maple syrup, still doesnt taste good, so tonight i will bread it and deep fry it
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Polenta is great. It's a very basic starting point to play with. I made a Barbadoan meal (a very hot Barbadoan meal) and made a side of polenta (they call it "cou cou") with smoked oysters. Several of the Caribbean Islands call Funji their national dish - it's basically polenta with okra. You can make sauces to top it with and you can store it in your refrigerator and slice off pieces to fry in butter. I have several recipes in the International Wok section of my website. Just search the pages for "polenta".

It was important in the Barbadoan meal because it moderated the heat of the Bajas Chicken when it got to my stomach. I didn't mind the hissing sound in my mouth but I didn't want to irradiate my stomach lining too much.