Thread: My latest purchase!

Default My latest purchase!

I wish I could find the poster that first made me aware of this, but I just ordered a great looking vest made by US Palm. It looks like an incredible product for home defense. It's a tactical type vest with a Level IIIa ballistic panel in the front (with the option to add one to the rear for $99). There are several options but the most intriguing models are the Molle and the Holster versions. I seriously considered the Molle version but in the end I opted for the holster version in black; it's also available in grey, camo, green and red, IIRC. It has a horizontal chest holster that looks to be plenty large for my FNP 45 Tactical & Surefire X300 Ultra. It has pouches for 3 mags or 2 mags and a light, phone, etc. I figure in a home invasion scenario I'm going to hunker down in a safe room, not try to clear the house. But if pressed I will fight, and having the protection in the front is probably the most important. The really cool thing is that I bought it for under $200 shipped!

Here's a picture of it in coyote.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I watched some reviews & videos of the armor being shot with various calibers and am satisfied that the armor will defeat pistol caliber threats. It even defeated a Brenneke saboted copper slug.

If something goes bump in the night I can have a pistol w/rail-mounted light, 45 rounds of .45 ACP ammo & my Surefire E1B and cell all loaded in the vest, ready to go at a moment's notice.

I'll post my impressions once it arrives!

It's nice from time to time to see a nice ballistic vest that isn't tacticool with 1200 pockets and d-rings or that unfortunate blue once so popular in basic law enforcement vests.

The price looks hard to beat too.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Yeah, I didn't have to deliberate for long! I've wanted to pick up some body armor for a long time, just doing research and of course saving some money. While I still want to pick up some concealable armor I think this is a potentially awesome product for home defense. I realize that this armor doesn't provide side or groin coverage but it's a helluva lot better than just a T-shirt! Since probably 99.99% of people don't have any armor at all I think this is a great compromise between protection and affordability. It could offer side protection but then it would probably cost $400 and no one would buy it. The one I ordered just has an armor panel in the front but they'll sell you one for the back at a later date for $100. Not bad! I suppose I'll buy the other one after the holidays.

I love the flexibility of MOLLE attachments but if I'd have went that route I'd had to pony up the cash for a MOLLE holster, mag pouches, etc. Ultimately in keeping with the theme of affordability I went with the holster version. From the looks of it I'm pretty sure my FNP 45 Tactical will fit that holster with the Surefire X300 Ultra on it.

My main purpose for the this will be home defense but I think it will be a kick-a$$ item to wear at the range! There are lots of idiots out there, and this will make me feel a bit safer around them!

As an FWI they also make a version with hard ceramic/steel plates for $400. I watched it stop a .308 AP round! It's only available with a MOLLE carrier. If I like the one I bought I will maybe look into the uber one down the road!
    Last edited by Phaedrus; 11-28-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Just don't run any red lights on the way to the range. I hear that if you wear body armor in the commission of a crime they throw the book at you :P
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Nice vest man! Sounds like a bargain too!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Who have you pi$$ed off now?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hmmm...well, no one that I know of! It just seems prudent, especially given the relatively low cost. I see a lot of discussion on the forums and at gun stores about defensive firearms but almost no talk of any other type of preparations. The first line of defense (aside from choosing a place to live) is cultivating something of a relationship with the neighbors. This can be very helpful for all involved for many reasons. The next line for me is having good locks, etc. I think I addressed this in a post some months ago. Once one has basic physical security in place I think it's wise to have a plan. I know what room I will hole up, have my cell handy, lights close to hand with extra batteries, etc.

I don't think that anyone "paranoid" enough to keep a gun for protection should balk at the notion of purchasing body armor as well.

Ive been looking at the Palm gear, would be nice for tossing on in the event of a break in or other such unfortunates.

So the vest is for when they sneek up on you from behind while you are getting all the other stuff organized and the batteries changed?

Looks like a deal to me........if it works as advertised.

Hadn't really given it much thought, ....and I think mine would be hanging on a chair some where...But that is just me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Looks like a good deal. Thanks for letting us know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm pretty confident that it will stop the rounds it's rated to stop. I've read a few reviews and watched some videos from gun websits actually shooting the armor. The main issue as I see it is that the coverage is somewhat limited. But it's certainly better than no protection at all. Especially since the $200 MSRP sets the price low enough to entice people like me that would otherwise just continue to "think about body armor someday" to get off their duff and actually buy some.

KYRat- I'm not sure if you're just bustin' my chops or if you actually don't think flashlights and cell phones have a place in home security? Either is fine, I guess, just not sure how I'm supposed read it...

It is all a free choice deal.

We just live in different places and were trained at differnt times in history. I do have issue with many of the "training methods" now in use and being taught by goofballs on U-tube and promoted in the gun rags.

I do not have a problem with "home invasion" in my area. In rural KY a person that breaks into a home while the occupants are present is written off as a suecide. It just don't happen! An anti-gun person in Kentucly is a person that only owns ONE gun.

I was trained in a time of total "light discipline". You let the other guy show a light and give away his position. You used light from a remote scource to expose/identify the intruder and never a light that would give away your own position. I leave a lightscource on in the far end of the house that will show the intruder and not me. I do not go on "clearing missions". First rule of defense is that you never leave a good defensive position until the enemy is defeated. That means you wait for him and dispatch him on YOUR terms.

I am not anti-tech. I have a lazer on my house gun and a red dot on the backup, but they are impossible or difficult to track back to scource.

The cell phone? That is between you, your serice provider and the local police. My phone works in one end of the house, but not the other and the last time I called the cops was 6 years ago and they have not arrived yet.

As for ownership of body armor, I am not against it. Both my boys brought armor home when they came out of the Marine Corps, where they had come to rely on it and felt naked without it. They had the whole deal, full coverage w/sappie plates front and back, kelvar helmets too. I was very glad to have targets I could put out there as bait with a clear conscience.

After about a year they sold it. The revolution they were anticipating did not materialize and wives and families did. They needed the money for food and other foolish things.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.

For better and worse I live in a city. Cell coverage here is pretty excellent. I have no land line anymore in any event- ditched it six or seven years ago. Mine is a pretty "red" state, but even here it's probably wise to call the cops if there's a break in. The crime rate here isn't astronomical but a coworker did have a home invasion. Five guys kicked his door in and robbed him. Lucky for him he only got the $hit beat out of him. He could have died.

I agree that the youtube commandos take the tacticool thing a little far. My house is nicely equipped with ceiling mounted lights with switches which would be my first choice for lighting. I bought the weapon light primarily for camping. Occasionally I've needed a firearm to dispatch a 4 legged varmint and it's often hard to hold the light and shoot. So far at least the racoons here don't shoot back, so I haven't had to worry about the light giving away my position.

Armor is something some people thing is important and others not. Since it won't be worn except to train or if something happens, the bulk and minimal weight shouldn't matter. Since the vest is only $200 it won't break the bank. If I think the odds of needed a gun are high enough to own one, then I guess $200 armor is a simple choice, too. By no means is it necessary but it's a bit of added margin of safety.

I can certainly see what you're getting at, and I don't disagree. Don't worry, I don't plan to go full-on Mall Ninja!

Yep, to each his own, only boundry is, if it ain't legal don't tell me about it!

I will break guickly under torture.

Hahaha! Yeah, legal here. I'm pretty liberal (at least compared to most of you folks) but that's one advantage to living in such a conservative state. Almost anything is legal, at least if you're male.

Yeah, they don't want you leveling the playing field.