Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woot! Back in the growing game!

Glad you had success in your garden. Remember to keep that spade sharp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BornthatWay View Post
    Glad you had success in your garden. Remember to keep that spade sharp.
    That's going to be a bit tricky, I have an unerring knack of sharpening an edge off things.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I have the same problem. I used to have a sharp mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have the same problem. I used to have a sharp mind.
    Me too, I sharpened the edge right off it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Today was a good day, we have had quite a bit of rain of late, the last couple of days have been dry, so I went and cleared one quarter, ready to put down some manure. I will leave it on the surface til the end of October then dig it in. The soil is in wonderful condition, nice and friable and easy to 'do'.

Winnie. Good to see that you've got your hands back in the dirt. To Bad that we aren't a few miles closer together. I'd be happy to get you back into chickens. I bought 18 hatching eggs of both speckled and light sussex this summer. Now have 11 lights and 15 speckled youngsters. If those didn't suit your fancy, we also have barred rocks, heritage rir,cuckoo marans and a few favorelles. Yep we've gone chicken crazy.lol

Goodluck with your allotment

OT
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Been a couple of years of you and I being members of this site. I had Winnie Jr. pictured a much younger person. LOL

Great that you have this space together for planting and good harvests to you!

Blog Entries

I'd love some more Chickens OT, but although it's OK to keep them on your allotment, I wouldn't want to risk it, or be tied to going every day, and my garden at home is way too small.
    Lol, he's a grown man Batch, well, as grown as a man can be.

thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by sjj; 05-08-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Your pictures made me smile. Thanks for sharing. Did you paint the shed?
    Um yeah, well, kinda, sorta. You know, from a distance with that six inch nail my Dad always told me about. (very badly in other words!)

Blog Entries

Another update.
    Winter is here and I'm getting on with the tough stuff and moving things around. Over the last few weeks I have: Put in a couple of Rain Barrels, made a new fruit bed and moved the fruit bushes. Dug out a new Bed for some Raspberries I have been promised and a Loganberry I have been given. The manure is now spread and being dug in. So far my back is holding out and I'm looking forward to next year.

DSCN0713.jpg

New Fruit Bed

DSCN0719.jpg

Half plot manured

DSCN0718.jpg

The whole plot

DSCN0720.jpg

Good for you. Remember that raspberries spread. They send up shoots off the roots so you'll have to keep them in check.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Right on ...those spread, horseradish, mint, and Egyptian onions.....all spread.....
    Looking good, very nice plot, congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Awesome garden spot.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Mint....mint does not spread. Mint gallops, it hops and jumps. Only Kudzu can outgrow mint I think.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I've grown raspberries before, so am all too aware of their promiscuity. I can think of another plant that can outgrow mint..... Japanese Knotweed. Funnily enough, where I live now is the first place I have ever been able to grow mint.

Congrats on the progress Winnie.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I wrote here. So what happened 2014?

Well, I failed getting the whole plot dug over. The weather turned hot and dry before I finished and turned the winter digging into concrete blocks that steadfastly refused to yield under the fork or spade. So I did what any fat old biddy would do and covered it up with a big sheet of plastic and forgot about it.
    The manure certainly worked it's magic and I have had enough veg to supply the house and put some by for winter. Like Solargeek I've also had successes and failures.
    As this is the first real growing season I still regard it as experimental.
    Peas and Beans, The Peas were fantastic worth growing. French Beans produced really well, and I have saved seed. Runner Beans were a disaster. I had a terrible germination rate, tried sowing twice with seed from different sources and had failures both times, I eventually went to the market and got some plants. I've now picked at least 15lb from 24 plants.
    Corn, well I have a sort of success, the popping corn has set loads of ears and I should get a great harvest, the sweetcorn, I'm not sure what has happened, the plants have been really healthy, but have not produced many ears of corn, some plants have been blind.
    Squash Yellow squash have been very productive, the winter squash not so. I have a few, but not as many as I'd hoped and they are a bit small. Think I need to trial more varieties to find one that suits the conditions.
    Peppers and chillis have also done well, considering. Our summers aren't really hot enough or long enough to get red peppers, but I have had plenty of frutis that reached a good stage for picking green.
    Tomatoes were looking great, I was on for a good crop until a late blight struck and I lost the bulk of the crop. Gutted. I did save some fruit for seed before the blight struck.
    Potatoes did quite well, I only planted early potatoes as I don't have enough room to grow maincrop.
    The winter veg were looking decidedly poorly during the summer, but have come through and the plants are now looking very good.
    The summer garden is just about finished, I have one more picking of beans and squash, I might find one or two ears of corn then that wil be it done for the year. Then I'll start clearing everything off and get some more manure spread about. This year I aim to spread the manure over ther plot and let the worms take it down over winter.
    Next year, I hope to have a polytunnel up and producing and I have just taken on another 1/4 plot which I will just fill with potatoes next year. I have also discovered perennial veg. More on that to follow.
    Last edited by Winnie; 09-22-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Congrats....sounds like a fairly year.
    Surprised to hear about tomato blight......we just started getting it here for the last few years......Hummmmm?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

It has to be one of the worst diseases. Even picking the green ones to ripen doesn`t work. They are obviously already infected and just go bad.