Thread: Butchering a chicken

Default Butchering a chicken

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the how-to or here. I guess if the mods give the okay, I can put it in both. My rooster was finally big enough to eat. I live in a neighborhood on a 1/4 acre, so my neighbors don't like crowing every morning. Of course, there are probably a half dozen roosters that you can hear every morning. Anyways, this was my first time plucking the bird. Normally I would skin it, the thought of pulling all the feathers just wreaked of too much work. I decided to give it a go just too see how much work it really was. I was surprised at how easy and quick it was. I actually learned how to do this from youtube.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I didn't know that about the dogs and raw chicken bones.

How hot was the water and how long did you soak the bird?

Nice tutorial. Posting it both places is a good idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Water for scalding feathers should be right at 160 degrees. Almost too hot to hold your hand in. Soak the chickens good and let the water get down to the base of the feathers. Slosh them around real good. It the feathers are not pretty loose soak them bird again. You should be able to pull hands full with a good tug.

The process really stinks. Hot wet feathers have a sickening smell. We used to light up a rolled up sheet of newspaper and singe the pinfeathers off after the big feathers were plucked.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Very well done.

Critique: Hang the neighbor's kid up next time, annoying little one. Get a lapel mic setup for future videos when your not close to the camera, I missed a lot of what you were saying.

Questions: What kind of knife did you use? Is it that hard to cut or did it just need a little sharpening? Why not just cut the head off to start with? How long do you soak in water w/ACV? Lastly, just curious how you cooked it! Sweet Baby Rays is killer BBQ sauce!

Thanks for the post, very informative!! I almost think I could do it too!

Andrew

Dogs can in fact eat chicken bones, its a good source of nutrients too. They should only be raw. Cooked chicken bones become brittle and THEN they splinter and can hang in the throat & esophagus.

http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm#chickenbones

I used to train a GSD I had in Shutzhund. Leerburg is a well recognized authority on the GSD breed.

I must in closing state that I have not personally ever fed any of my dogs raw chicken bones. Use your own judgement.

HTH,
    Andrew