Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I suck at fly fishing, advice warmly welcomed!

Since the thread showed interest, Ill update... Its been quite a while since I touched the fly rod, but I picked it up again and for some reason, the timing came much more natural. Weird how that works some times!

Anywho.. Im not perfect or pro level... BUT, I am a LOT better than I was. I got some whacky side cast going well for when under a tree, etc.. having a LOT OF FUN with it. Though my casting distance leaves a lot to be desired, Im laying out a lot flatter line and avoiding the bull whip cast 98% of the time.

I guess... I just needed to step away from it for a while. Its strange.. but it seams to me, the HARDER I TRY, the harder it is. If I just relax, the false cast, the cast and the roll cast ALL come much easier.

I still need more practice, and probably will till I take my dirt nap... but this is WAY better than spin casting!!

In honor of my (our) accomplishments, Id like to present: "Two rookies fly fishing"

I have since bough her, her own fly rod kit... Its a Courtland from Wally for $40, but its got a sweet action to it and nice line!
    I have not had a chance to take her fishing with it yet, because of area flooding, so another week or two maybe.

EB

I'm not very good at flyfshing either. My trick, depending on where I'm fishing, is to bring my bass rod and some spinners. I'm not above cheating, within the limits of the law, to take home a trout.

flyfishing's more like low impact exercise. spinning's like assasinating trout.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Rent "A River Runs Through It'

That will teach you all you need to know.

Seriously I have no advice. I'm pretty decent at casting but have yet to land a fish on a fly rod since I started 7 years ago. (Not that I do it a lot)....

Here's one for you,11BxV (if I recall correctly). A professor I know (from my Long Tab days) at University of Wisconsin-Stout actually teaches a fly-fishing course (OK, for handicapped poeple) but he is a real expert.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I am quite good at fly fishing.
    The trick is to look behind you on the back stroke and wait till the line straightens behind you before starting the forward stroke.
    Most folks start the forward stroke to quickly.
    In my opinion fishing on a river is easy.It's fishing in a pond that has limbs/hazards that makes it tough.
    In some cases you may have to"roll"cast.
    I've landed some rather big,large mouth bass and trout on light tackle.

Haven't read the whole thead, but crash nailed it. I have been a flyfishing guide for 20+ years here in Colorado. I've heard all these questions a million times. Fly fishing Is much like this joke

How many ski instructors does it take to screw in a little bulb----
    5 one to screw it in and 4 to analyze each turn

Nothing beats expirance ...... Time on the water........ Time. If you hire ( or do a free casting clinic ) a guide. You will find the answers you seak.
    You can feel free to pm me with your question, he'll if you were in Colorado I'd hook you up
    Last edited by Reel water; 10-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Why on earth would anyone fish for flies?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Flies are full of protein heheheh
    BTW where's the duck man?

What rod are you using? What weight is it? What line are you using and what weight is it? What size flies are you using? What size tippet are you using? Just a few of the questions that I need an answer to in order to give you a decent reply. I live fly fishing and I might be able to help.