Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading items in BOBs

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    I have a BUT...Bug Off Truck.
    Since it has a 5.7 lt V-8, carrying a few watches, knives and pre-65 dimes is not a hassle.
    Nothing is designed for me to be on foot, but I have an app for that.
    You know that saying, "the more you know...". Mine is, "If isn't in the truck, I can't decide to leave it behind."
    What's really going to tick me off is if I decide my best choice is to stay put...I amgoing to have to drag that stuff out of the truck...
    LOL, ain't that the truth......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    I have a BUT...Bug Off Truck.
    Since it has a 5.7 lt V-8, carrying a few watches, knives and pre-65 dimes is not a hassle.
    Nothing is designed for me to be on foot, but I have an app for that.
    You know that saying, "the more you know...". Mine is, "If isn't in the truck, I can't decide to leave it behind."
    What's really going to tick me off is if I decide my best choice is to stay put...I amgoing to have to drag that stuff out of the truck...
    You and 99% of the preppers over 30 with wife and family! and we all face the "unloading the truck problem". I can live for 2 weeks out of either of my vehicles and taking off on foot is not an option, unless I am headed home.

I get on some other boards and read about these 45 year old men that are morbidly obese and diabetic, tracking down 3X clothes and oversized packs and wonder when was the last time they walked to the mailbox?

Then they reveal they have a wife and six kids, the youngest 3 weeks old, and want to know how many diapers they should carry!!

And they are planning life out of a BOB as a survival strategy.

I often speculate that most of the BOB group actually intends to leave the wife and kids behind at some point and rid themselves of the "burden". Of course none would admit to such a thing, but that is always in the back of their minds. They really anticipate shouldering that pack and the wife standing there holding the baby with a frazzled look on her face and the words "NO WAY!" comming out of her mouth as she slambs the door behind him.

I know of perhaps 6 women total that could live long term (more than two weeks?) out of a backpack.

I know several hundred that could live off grid for an indeffinate period. There is a big difference.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Bottom line, carrying "trade goods" in your BOB is mostly not a good idea, so pretty much limits you to cash, just for weight and bulk reasons.....

Cash is always easier to carry........

For many years I've got a laugh out of the "I've got my assault rifle, 10,000 rounds of ammo, my big knife, my bug out bag, and when the SHTF, I'm gonna bug out to the mountains/woods, and survive!" crowd.

Someone's gonna have to put up four-way stop lights out in the mountains and woods, just to keep the bugger-outers from running headlong into each other.

S.M.

Nah. Once they pick up a pack with 10,000 rounds they won't make it out of their mom's basement.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I go over to survival UK sometimes and they also plan on heading for the wilderness w/BOB!

660 people per square mile and they are "heading to the wilderness"!

It seems to be a universal fable.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-26-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Around here the "wilderness" belongs to some people that don't like outsiders.......So good luck with that......

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I go over to survival UK sometimes and they also plan on heading for the wilderness w/BOB!

660 people per square mile and they are "heading to the wilderness"!

It seems to be a universal fable.
    Thing about the Brits is that 2 world wars on their land (fairly recent history in the scheme of things) have made an imprint on the collective psyche.
    Wilderness or not, that small island nation has survived and thrived through centuries and I will never bet against them doing it again...unless it really is the end of the world for all.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nah. Once they pick up a pack with 10,000 rounds they won't make it out of their mom's basement.
    Sure they will. Don't forget, a serious bugger-outer always has a tactical wheelbarrow handy for just such events .

S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The survival world needs to come to terms with the fact that a BOB is a short term solution to specific problems.

No, society will not be rebuilt "post event" by ninja boyscouts trading fish hooks and 550 cord for food and fuel.
    So.....my boy scouts, they play this game called "ninja". It is kinda a cool game actually. And it keeps them entertained for a while.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have two plans:
    Bug out to family
    Stay with my home and work with the community.

Long term, I think barter items that are purchased now won't be that great later. Eventually everyone with a tobacco habit will learn how to deal with it when there is no supply. People will learn that TP isn't necessary, and alcohol you can make yourself. But, as a community, trading food that you are producing would probably happen, as well as other goods. I am sure that communities will band together for survival, produce a specialty and then trade with other communities, just like has happened for thousands of years.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee