Thread: Carving a Turkey

Default Carving a Turkey

For years I've always hated to carve up a turkey, just couldn't do it right. Well this past week with having to take it easy from the surgery, I got to watch a show on TV called the CHEW. Buntch of crazies really, but picked up the easest and trouble free way to do it. Let your bird cool for maybe 1/2 hour or so before starting. Remove the wings, legs, you have just the body left. Take your butcher knife and slice it down along the breast bone and take off the whole side of the breast. lay it flat on the plate and then you can just slice it across and you wind up with a perfectly carved bird.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

I always cheated. I use an electric carving knife....easy peasy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    For years I've always hated to carve up a turkey, just couldn't do it right. Well this past week with having to take it easy from the surgery, I got to watch a show on TV called the CHEW. Buntch of crazies really, but picked up the easest and trouble free way to do it. Let your bird cool for maybe 1/2 hour or so before starting. Remove the wings, legs, you have just the body left. Take your butcher knife and slice it down along the breast bone and take off the whole side of the breast. lay it flat on the plate and then you can just slice it across and you wind up with a perfectly carved bird.

Bill
    I saw this a couple of years ago. You are right...it is the easiest and provides best looking platter that I have ever made.

Next turkey day I am going to use my Crashblade to carve the bird. You are right though, keep it simple is the key, legs off, wings off, separate the joints at the joint. Knife down the keel bone to separate the breast then slice the breast on the cutting board for service. I have gotten lazy and when we do whole chickens I literally use my hands and no knife to separate the breasts from the carcass then pull the legs and wings off cleanly too.

Our relatives did exactly that at Thanksgiving this year and all the turkey was COLD. They felt that 1/2 hour (don't forget it takes another 10 minutes to carve and place on platters) would be ok. I will take wrestling with it and everyone getting hot turkey. What could guests do as you can't ask to microwave it on metal edged plates
    JMHO
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea a 10 minute rest is enough.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!