Thread: Fly fishing leader?

Default Fly fishing leader?

Do I *need* to buy a leader, or can I just use 10 feet of line from my spin caster?

Thanks,
    Adrew

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

If you're just starting out use the mono-line from your spin-caster. You can learn the scientific stuff as you go along. There's also some good links in the "Fly-Boys" sub-group! .
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just found out the leader is tapered. I reckon a regular piece of line would work in a pinch.

Thanks Sarge.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I just found out the leader is tapered. I reckon a regular piece of line would work in a pinch.

Thanks Sarge.
    It works. Used the "cheap" method of a light mono line for many years, when I was younger. I have not fly fished in many a year, but I would use a mono leader if I didn't want to buy the "correct" one for where I was fishing.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Thanks Line, good info & tip there! What weight mono did you use for your leader?

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Thanks Line, good info & tip there! What weight mono did you use for your leader?
    Whatever I had on hand, which was normally either 4# or 6#.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Thank you good sir, I just stretched and attached a 6 foot section of 8# for yard casting, worked pretty good IMHO. Will find out better when I hit the water, but that will be a while... I need to practice casting & shooting more before I get the line wet again.

Thank much!
    Andrew

You can make your own tapered leader using different sizes of mono joined together. I use these all of the time and they are a lot cheaper than buying leaders. I usually start out with 18" of 10lb which joins to the fly line, then to that I attach 18" of 8lb followed by 18" of 6 and then finally 18" of 4lb which is tied to the fly. This will give you a 6' tapered leader.