Thread: Beginning Bow Hunting

Default Beginning Bow Hunting

I thought I would ask here, first, among friendlies. I am interested in bowhunting and target shooting. I have very limited experience with it and am looking for a "beginner's package" for a store bought bow and arrows. Any advice is appreciated.

I grew up hunting with rifles and am looking for a different and more primitive method. An intro kit (not expensive) is key, to see if I enjoy it.

Also, any people out here make their own bows and use them with frequency? Tips and websites are especially appreciated!

Thanks!

AD - Here's a good thread on bows:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ghlight=bowyer

There are several on here that make their own bows. Canid for one. I'm not so I'll leave the rest of it up to them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A bow shop can help with sizing and tuning. They also have indoor/outdoor ranges, shooting events, club info, etc. Some chains like gander mountain have a shop within thier store.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Bass Pro shops are also good, do you want a compound bow, recurve bow, or long bow?
    With a compound I'd go with PSE i personally think they are the best, for a long bow always go custom made. Do you have a price range?
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want

I am looking to keep it under 200-300 dollars, if possible. I am more interested in a long bow or recurve, as I think they are more "traditional". Is this wrong? I have little time to get to an archery store and will probably end-up purchasing mail order.

I don't see much actual hunting, for about 6 months, due to work restraints. I am looking for some target shooting and have a "range" near my house. I associate compund bows with more power necessary for larger game. Can I avoid the expense of one of these? Plus, I want to make sure I can hit what I am aiming at and have a decent chance of a "clean kill" before beginning.

Great info gang...thanks!!

Local shops should have some on consignment, for about that price, thing with long bows is you need wood or carbon arrows. I would always use wood (cedar shafts) and real fletching nothing better and learning to fletch is a great hobby as is doing the broadheads yourself and tying them in, but to cut costs you get carbon arrows with screw in heads. Then you'll need a finger glove or pad, maybe a forearm guard (i don't use one) and lots of practice.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want

My neighbor doesn't practice. So, he looses about half the deer that he gut shoots. Do I sound happy? Not!

FVR can even instruct you on how to make a self bow he's real good at it. Your welcome Frank

Blog Entries

Yeah what MW said.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Adventuredoc,

First thing you need to do is go to www.tradgang.com. Find the state forum you are in, and locate a traditional shoot.

Before you go buying anything, go to a trad. shoot, just show up, don't be shy and start asking questions. You will have more bows thrown at you to shoot than you can imagine. They will have you shooting recurves, longbows, and maybe a selfbow. Selfbows are like wheely bows, they are made specific to the person and if it's made for 27" draw and ya pull 29, some bows (not mine) may break.

Best thing to do is to just start shooting. If you find a bow at a yardsale for cheap, get it if it's in the 45 lb range and has glass on it.

If you don't get to a shoot, find yourself an old Bear, Browning, Redwing glass recurve or longbow in the 45 lb range. 45lb is a perfect weight to start with and you will be able to work up in weight.

For example, I just got a guy, 6'6" 300 lbs, big ol biker dude, into trad. archery. Started him with a 45lb old Bear recurve, shooting 2117 arrows. After a month, he has worked up to a 60lb longbow. This big guy gave up archery because his compound bows hurt his shoulders.

Shooting a wheely bow and a trad. bow is completely diff. A wheely bow starts out heavy and let's off and holds light. This sounds nice, but my shoulder pops at the let off point and not only hurts, but makes such a noise that I have spooked deer.

A trad. bow, you start out pulling 45 and at your draw length, it's still 45. Selfbows will sometimes stack, put on weight, and longbows with thick limbs will sometimes have handshock. This you will know at the first shot, too much mass on the limbs. Howard Hill longbows are known for this.

So start with a recurve, 45lbs, 2117 arrows, 125grn, arrowheads, with feathers.

Ebay has a bunch of deals, or, go to tradgangs classifieds and say you're looking for a bow to start shooting trad. archery, you'll get hooked up.

Adventure Doc: Are there others in your area that shoot? I know you said there is a "range" nearby. Have you checked for local clubs in the area? If they're any nearby, you may be able to "try out" something to see what the fit and feel is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Here ya go.

Hi All,
    The Coleta Sportsman's Club in Coleta, IL is having an all Traditional Shoot May 22 and 23. Coleta is located 1 hour south of Wisconsin and 45 minutes north of the Quad Cities. We have 30 Rinehart targets over a really nice course. Camping is available and there will be lots of vendors, including Lone Wolf Archery from ST Joseph, IL. They have everything for the Trad archer.
    If you have any questions or would like a flier sent to you or your club, please email me. I will be glad to send it to you. My email address is: k.wilhelmi@insightbb.com . Thank you, Kelly Wilhelmi

Awesome info! FVR--the tradgang.com site is really impressive, thanks for the info. This should get me off and running!

Thanks!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I use a cedar 4"X8"- 12' and 3/16 aircraft cable for string. I shoot 1/2" groups at 3 miles. Hope you find this information helpful.

compound bows are not remotely nessecary for big game, nor restricted to it. i'm a big fan of traditional archery, so my views will be biased somewhat, though i've a compound before and loved it [aside from being heavy].

for some perspective on trad bows, and even self bows, i just finished re-tillering a longbow down to 55lb from about 100-110lb. with a slight reflex in the limbs, it still shoots hard and fast enough for an occasional pass-through on any north american game animal. we're talking a bow design meant to penetrate medieval armor at ranges well outside the bowhunting spectrum. they are more than able to keep up with the modern equiptment.

for a commercial package under 200, i would advise you find a nice selfbow from one of the many small online bowyers. 3 rivers archery sells a youth longbow by Greatree up to 40lb draw [at 28in] for $199, and a recurve by the same bowyer up to 55lb for $204. they have a good selection by many different bowyers.

for target shooting, you will need appropriate arrows to go with your bow, and those cheapo kits they sell with the 25lb glass bows at the sporting goods stores don't cut it. for hunting this is even more important. you'll never figure out what you're doing wrong with your accuracy if you're arrow spine is wrong. they'll actually leap off to the side as they leave the bow.

if you want to look into making your own bow, you can make a bow then i commend you, it's not as hard as most people make it out to be, if you know where to start.
    Last edited by canid; 03-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Get this book: Idiot Proof Archery

I got when I first started target shooting. Following the instructions here will help you avoid many bad habits archers start out with because they don't know better.
    Kristian Walker 2nd LT, CAP
    Cache Valley Composite Squadron
    Civil Air Patrol (USAF Aux)

There is also a great forum you can grab a ton of information from:
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

They also have a classified area, where you can buy a used bow from a community member for a decent price.
    Kristian Walker 2nd LT, CAP
    Cache Valley Composite Squadron
    Civil Air Patrol (USAF Aux)

Doc have you started bow practice? Oh! Excuse me! Didn't mean to interupt.
    Last edited by rebel; 05-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.

How'd you get a picture of my ex??????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

She must be hangin' with the Doc.