Thread: which traps would be best??

Default which traps would be best??

i have decided to get into trapping, there are plenty of rabbits and sqirrels in my area. i have recently bought 5 duke #1 steel traps and 5 duke #110 connibear. a friend told me to get more connibear than steel as they were more versatile. i don't have alot to spend but may get 12 more, should i get 6 of each or 12 of one kind? thanks for any help.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If your going to trap squirrels I would use a rat trap. For rabbits I would use snares. You get a wabbit in a leg hold trap every coyote and fox with-in six miles will be running to eat the wabbit.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-20-2012 at 06:31 PM.

If you are interested in getting more primitive with it, there are a myriad of deadfall and tension snare traps that you can learn to build as well. The advantage I see with these, particularly for smaller animals, is that they are lower impact, generally as effective (if well constructed), less costly, and also less likely to severely injure a non-target animal. For example, tension snares can live capture in some cases, or be made so they only catch the rodents you're after, as opposed to someone's hunting dog. I'd hate to have a leg-capture trap harm someone's pet.

I dont trap squirrels or rabbits, but I've been trapping mink, marten, otter, beaver and wolf for about 6 years. For the smaller things I like the conibear #110, its versatile and usually more humane than a foothold. If you want more for your dollar snares are a great way to go, but be prepared for a little more trial and error. Check out Cumberland Northwest Trappers Supply for anything you'll ever need.
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 11-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."