Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New chickn house

I finally poured a concrete floor in my pen. I put a drain in it emptying off one side. Really made for easy clean up.
    Mine were outside all day, unless the weather was bad, during which they would hang out in the barn. I think the dogs were the secret to no prolems, there.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I lined the bottom of my cage with landscaping timbers, the round ones about 6" diameter and 8' long. The racoons simply tossed them aside. They would be 6-8 feet from the pen when I woke in the morning.

I forgot to mention that I installed motion sensor lights on the pen during the racoon war. That would alert me to their presence and it never stopped them from messing around with the pen. They would march right up to the wire with the spotlights on them. It did help with target identification though.

I suppose it all depends on the critters you have in your area. Around my place I only have to worry about coyotes, during the daylight. It was night that caused me problems and a good well built shelter takes care of that. My chickens simply march inside every night and wait for me to close the door.

It does take some deligence. With livestock you can not decide to skip a night of care or a day of food. You have to be there and deal with them when you are supposed to be there. Unless you have dependable help, with your first livestock purchase you have ended your weekends away, sleeping in and staying out late.

I penned my birds up to go to the jamboree and they have not been the same since. I messed up their behavior paterns and they responded with reduced egg production. They demand their outside time even if it is only a few minutes each day.
    So chickens actually pout and get mad at you when they dont get their way, sounds like women

My dog is what keeps the predators out of the yard. The problem is, she eats chickens as well. So, as long as I keep the chickens safe from her, then she keeps all else out. It is a little easier planning for one predator, instead of a whole bunch. And it is even easier without worrying about raccoons.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee