Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calibre Suggestions

i remember before this forum went to ****..... sigh those were the days.....
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    And posts like that simply serve to exacerbate the issue if it exists. Funny thing is, most of those who complain typically don't take any action to alleviate the situation. They only complain.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

Marcraft, I just visited your homepage. OOOOOOOOKAY! So much better than the forum.

http://www.marcraft.piczo.com/
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

that thing hasnt been visited by me in over a year lol
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Get yourself a .375 H&H mag, it is a truly great all around calibre and it will serve you much better than the .270's and such that some others have recommended. If you want to knock down a moose at 200 yards get the right tool for the job- the .375 is that rifle
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

From what I understand you would want a 270 with the best scope you can afford. My reasoning for the 270 is hand loading. You can load it for mice to moose, IMHO probably the most adaptable especially if you roll your own.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

IMHO I would recommend either a Remington 700 .308 or AR10 .308. I know im a big .308fan but I cant help it. The round is easy to get and packs enough punch for your money. There is not much in this world that a 175grain .308 hollow point cant take down.

BTW if you are worried about exit wounds being to big and wasting meat then all I have to say is that is why we have head shots

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    You gun experts got me on this. A 200 yd moose gun that has rounds less than 2 bucks a shot. Hmmmmmm........

How about some ballistics and energy stats at the impact point. I would expect that taking a moose at 200yds, you would need a pretty stout gun.

But what do I know, if it is further than 30 yards, I put a stalk on it. I like to get in close, so close that I can count the ticks on it's neck, so close that I can see the arteries in the neck pumping blood.

Then I usually screw the pooch.
    I don't know about moose in your area (unless you are in northern NH) but oftimes you can walk up and just about spit on them. A large number are quite fearless of anything in the woods. Makes for good sales on state moose hunting permits - imagine the stories told by flatlanders who bag a moose and bring it back to the city complete with tall tales from the mighty hunters!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Flatlanders? I've only heard Wisconsin folks say that about Illinois folks. Along with FISH or FIB. Actually, Cook County folks since Southern Illinois is nowhere near flat.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    I don't know about moose in your area (unless you are in northern NH) but oftimes you can walk up and just about spit on them.
    Thats pretty funny...now that you mention it- I've had more moose move towards me than run from me. However, in montana we have a very limited moose hunting season- so they don't seem to view us as dangerous.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Im planning on buying a bolt action rifle in the 500 - 2000 range, im looking for something that can make 5 inch shot groups at 400 yards and 15 inch at 800 yards , preferably with enough energy to take down a moose at up to 200 yards. Anyone think of a good caliber ? my requirements are: under $2 a round , handleable recoil (no .50 BMG) , not excessively loud (quieter then a 30-06)? im very picky , i know but thats why im asking the experts
    I'll be the first to tell you that I am not an "expert". All I can tell you is what rifle/caliber/scope I fire and my capabilities with it. You may not be able to as well and then again you might be able to do better. I have a Savage model 11... in 30-06 topped with a shepherd scope. I don't do competition so the shepherd works well for me. My longest distance target practice I shot five 5" groups at 600 yards with 165grain core lokts. Supposedly if you can get the scope and ammo to match up, this combo is accurate within 1 minute of angle out to 1,000 yards. Couldn't tell you for sure cause I never had the opportunity to get that far from a target. Yes this is loud and it will hurt your shoulder if you fire it a lot but that is why they invented ear plugs, shoulder pads and/or smaller calibers to practice with. I had one hunting trip with this set up where the caribou were not cooperating so I put some meat in the freezer with 1 shot from 400 yards. I was comfortable doing this due to the long(er) range practice I had been doing and a very steady rest. I do prefer closer shots, much, much closer shots. Just remember, don't fire unless you have a good shot, don't fire at an animal further away than the furthest target you can hit consistently and if it doesn't feel right or you are not comfortable with the shot don't take it. Also, I have taken several moose out to 200 yards with this rifle and 180 grain core lokts.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Thumbs down OK-Changed my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Marcraft, I just visited your homepage. OOOOOOOOKAY! So much better than the forum.

http://www.marcraft.piczo.com/
    Checked out your website and it ain't my style. I guess the rubber band gun would work best for you. If you can drive just go down any back road at night and you will probably score you a moose.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

My dad has a .375 winchester. I am amazed at how light it is, it is simply an amazing gun. I was wondering if it is too much gun for deer hunting?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    My dad has a .375 winchester. I am amazed at how light it is, it is simply an amazing gun. I was wondering if it is too much gun for deer hunting?
    No....................

OK....time to drop my 02 in the pot:

For the money, the Savage is the best out of the box value rifle on the market today. Hands down. They are sub MOA guns with adjustable triggers so as long as you do your part, you shouldn't have any problems with accuracy. The law enforcement models with the heavier barrels would be my recommendation. The only problem with Savage, if you choose to look at it as a problem, is upgrades and aftermarket accessories are pretty slim. If you're one that doesn't tinker with a gun, then the Savage is just right for you.

The Remington 700 series of rifles are good, solid performers, and they cost a little more. Theres no limit to what you can do on a 700 action. The 700 is to bolt guns what the 1911 is to pistols. Everyone offers either custom works or custom parts. So if you want to tweak, theres no problem with upgrading.

Rings, mounts, and scopes make and break long distance shooters. Badger Ordinance has some of the best rings/mounts I have ever encountered. Leupold does solid, dependable optics. The glass may not be as good as some, but the internals won't let you down. They are as rugged as they come.

Stay away from foriegn scopes. A lot of them are calibrated to the metric system. If you are shooting standard formulas, but your come ups are metric, your shot will be off. Make sure your turrets are 1/4 MOA turrets. 1 & 1/2 MOA turrets are too coarse and 1/8 MOA turrets are too fine.

On to the caliber. There is no game in North America that cannot be taken by a 308 with the proper shot placement and proper distance to the target. Its cost effective, has enough power, and theres so much ballistic data that you can't go wrong. It is a round that has been studied, refined and perfected. It may not be as flashy as a 300 or 338....but it will get the job done.

My final advice is to train. If you want to hit targets at any distance, much less at long range, you have to train. The secret to long range shooting is consistancy. You have to do the same thing, the same way, every time. If you don't have the dedication to do it right, then you're just wasting your money and time.
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a street level pharmacist.

Visit my Myspace preparedness page at: http://www.myspace.com/preparingfortheworst

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    OK....time to drop my 02 in the pot:

For the money, the Savage is the best out of the box value rifle on the market today. Hands down. They are sub MOA guns with adjustable triggers so as long as you do your part, you shouldn't have any problems with accuracy. The law enforcement models with the heavier barrels would be my recommendation. The only problem with Savage, if you choose to look at it as a problem, is upgrades and aftermarket accessories are pretty slim. If you're one that doesn't tinker with a gun, then the Savage is just right for you.

The Remington 700 series of rifles are good, solid performers, and they cost a little more. Theres no limit to what you can do on a 700 action. The 700 is to bolt guns what the 1911 is to pistols. Everyone offers either custom works or custom parts. So if you want to tweak, theres no problem with upgrading.

Rings, mounts, and scopes make and break long distance shooters. Badger Ordinance has some of the best rings/mounts I have ever encountered. Leupold does solid, dependable optics. The glass may not be as good as some, but the internals won't let you down. They are as rugged as they come.

Stay away from foriegn scopes. A lot of them are calibrated to the metric system. If you are shooting standard formulas, but your come ups are metric, your shot will be off. Make sure your turrets are 1/4 MOA turrets. 1 & 1/2 MOA turrets are too coarse and 1/8 MOA turrets are too fine.

On to the caliber. There is no game in North America that cannot be taken by a 308 with the proper shot placement and proper distance to the target. Its cost effective, has enough power, and theres so much ballistic data that you can't go wrong. It is a round that has been studied, refined and perfected. It may not be as flashy as a 300 or 338....but it will get the job done.

My final advice is to train. If you want to hit targets at any distance, much less at long range, you have to train. The secret to long range shooting is consistancy. You have to do the same thing, the same way, every time. If you don't have the dedication to do it right, then you're just wasting your money and time.
    That is a very good post monstermash.
    Marcraft, a 30 caliber rifle of some sort is going to be your best bet. As you can see a lot of people love the 308 or the 30-06 because they are common, proven, versatile rounds. Give this a lot of thought and buy what you feel is the best choice for you then get out there and practice, practice, practice. If you can't be consistent with cheek weld, trigger pull and the rest of it then it doesn't matter what your rifle and caliber are capable of...you still wont be able to hit anything at any distance.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Thank you AKS.

One more thing I would like to point out is this: The 308 loses a lot of oomph after 800 yards. Yes, you *can* make hits out past 1000 with it, but you'll be lobbing it in like an artillery shell. A 30-06 gives you just as much accuracy, with a little more bang for your buck. The extra powder in the 06 translates to a longer effective range. Both of them are readily available in terms of supply and ballistic data.
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a street level pharmacist.

Visit my Myspace preparedness page at: http://www.myspace.com/preparingfortheworst

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Thank you AKS.

One more thing I would like to point out is this: The 308 loses a lot of oomph after 800 yards. Yes, you *can* make hits out past 1000 with it, but you'll be lobbing it in like an artillery shell. A 30-06 gives you just as much accuracy, with a little more bang for your buck. The extra powder in the 06 translates to a longer effective range. Both of them are readily available in terms of supply and ballistic data.
    What are you going to be shooting that is 800 to 1000 yards away? Unless you are a military sniper.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

He is not old enough to have a firearm. I galls me that so much effort goes into this thread. People really want to help, but it is a ma****bation.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-23-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Has anyone owned the Ruger M77RSI Mark II-International in .308? This is another one I've been dreaming about. I've read some glowing reports and the price isn't all that bad. Other Rugers I've owned have been flawless so I would think the quality here would be just as good. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/it...I_INTER__.aspx

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_M77RSI_firearm_fun.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.