Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibre Suggestions

Default Calibre Suggestions

Im planning on buying a bolt action rifle in the 500 - 2000 range, im looking for something that can make 5 inch shot groups at 400 yards and 15 inch at 800 yards , preferably with enough energy to take down a moose at up to 200 yards. Anyone think of a good caliber ? my requirements are: under $2 a round , handleable recoil (no .50 BMG) , not excessively loud (quieter then a 30-06)? im very picky , i know but thats why im asking the experts

Blog Entries

15 inches at 800 yards is not good shooting. You're gonna need a scope too, what scope do you have in mind. Never put a $40.00 scope on a $1000.00 rifle and never put a $1000.00 scope on a $200.00 dollar rifle. For long distance shooting I use a Remington 700 chambered in the Wichester .300 magnum, it'll drop anything on this planet. On top sits a Redfield Auctrack Scope but that's just me.
    Your looking for a long distance shooter that's quiet, I'd try a .270 Winchester or a .25-06 Remington.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

In the end its about shot placement, you owe it to the animal you're hunting to put it down fast and painlessly.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    In the end its about shot placement, you owe it to the animal you're hunting to put it down fast and painlessly.
    You owe it to yourself not to have to chase the poor thing for 2 or 3 days to finish it off also.

I agree with Beowolf.

a couple of other caliber choices could also be the 300wsm, 7mm wsm, 270wsm. in any great rifles

winchester
    remington
    browning
    tikka (made by sako great rifle for the $)
    savage also makes a decent rifle for the $

all for around $400-$650 new. the short mags in a bold work to decrease weight and length making them more packable without losing barrel length wile assisting with icreased accuracy and velocity.

put a good scope - leupold, or nikon would be good choices. I like the Burris full field II with bulistiplex in the 3x9x40. you can get any of these in a good basic set up for around $250.00

also look at glass bedding your new stock and getting a triger tune up or replace the existing triger. wil greatly assist with accuracy and can all be done for less than $1,000.00

another good option would be to look used. you can many time find great guns already set up for much less than $1000.00

then take the $ you saved and invest in a good reloading kit. you can reload high qualit bullets for a fraction of the cost and greatly increase the accuracy of any rifle by reloading by working up a round specific for you rifle. also adds to self reliance. huge increase in accuracy for substantial decrease in cost of high quality bullets.

Then go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Don't forget to clean your gun after every time out shooting. if you elect to buy a new gun make sure you season your barrel by cleaning before you shoot. then clean your barrel about every 5 shots for the first 200 shots take.

As beowolf stated15 inches at 800 yards is not good shooting. with a little practice, good equipment, and good quality ammunition you should be able to reduce your group size dramatically.

one last thought. i've met very few people that we capapble of making responsible kill shots at 800 yards on anything. while i'm comfortable shooting out to this distance, when it comes to hunting any game me or any of my hunting buddies rarely shoot past 400 yards and i would say well over 90% of game we have taken has been within 200 yards. this said everyone should know their shooting limits as well as ethical limits and stay with in them.

good luck in finding your new rifle.

andy

ps sorry if seems like i jumped around - when i posted the first time it cut off most of the message so i attempted to quickly retype.
    Last edited by awfoxden; 03-11-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: cut off most of response

Blog Entries

He's right about the ammo, I reload at a good friends house and personally don't think you'll get a better load than hand loading. Shooting at a distance is an aquired skill and just takes practice on top of practice and you gotta know what you can do and what your gun can do. I also agree with not taking shots out to 800 yards for game and most kills are 200 and under. However I do not agree with cleaning your new gun barrel after every 5 shots, but that's just me. If you get a new gun learn it, learn every inch of it and learn to take it apart, some may need a school or someone to show them this at first but knowing your gun, the correct ammo and load, what scope you have and what its limits are, are all things to consider when buyinh and using a new weapon.
    Personally I go Flintlock that's just me though.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

.270 or .223 will work and you need a good scope, everything you shoot is going to be loud to your little sensitive ears, and aren't you like 16? At 800 it wouldn't matter because the bullet will hit before the game knows about the sound, but if take an 800 yard shot at a game animal then that's just bad hunting ethics.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want

Default Savage

Out of the box, you can't beat the accuracy of a SAVAGE rifle ! I would check out a Model12 FVSS in .308 I have a model12FV in .223 & it's a real tac driver ! You must also get a good scope ( leupold, nikon,redfield, weaver)
    You can shoot 1000yd shots w/ a .308 & the ammo will not break the bank.
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Tom View Post
    Out of the box, you can't beat the accuracy of a SAVAGE rifle ! I would check out a Model12 FVSS in .308 I have a model12FV in .223 & it's a real tac driver ! You must also get a good scope ( leupold, nikon,redfield, weaver)
    You can shoot 1000yd shots w/ a .308 & the ammo will not break the bank.
    I have the heavy barel in 22-250. Best out of the box gun I agree

i was thinking of a Tikka T3 Super Varmit in 308 win or 22-250 , it also comes in .223 rem and 6.5x55 (which i have never herd of) anyone know anything about them?
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

that savage arms model 12 FV short action in .308 Win. is awesome , you say its accurate up to 100 yards?
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

What are planning on doing with it? That will determain my sudjestion. I like the 22-250 for yotes and things on the smaller side. I would not shoot a whitetail with it. For that I would grab my 30.06. This is arguably (sp) the best all round cartridge for North America.

I gotta agree with ya Ryan but he dosn't like the 30-06
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Blog Entries

.270 or .223 bro,

Blog Entries

You gun experts got me on this. A 200 yd moose gun that has rounds less than 2 bucks a shot. Hmmmmmm........

How about some ballistics and energy stats at the impact point. I would expect that taking a moose at 200yds, you would need a pretty stout gun.

But what do I know, if it is further than 30 yards, I put a stalk on it. I like to get in close, so close that I can count the ticks on it's neck, so close that I can see the arteries in the neck pumping blood.

Then I usually screw the pooch.

I agree closer is beter. I would not tske a shot on a moose at 200 yrds. 50 maybe

i have the predisessor to the new tikka t3 in a 7mm mag. great smooth action and shoots awesome with a burris full field II with balistaplex 3-9x40. this has been my hunting rifle for the past several years and with a 165 grain barnes X i wouldn't heasitate to take anything in north america easily out to 300-400 yards (my max not the guns)

its not the cheapest.

and as i said earlier regardless of caliber (accept rimfire and possibly 223 due to price) look into reloading.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A 4 bore is what you want. You can do anything with a 4 Bore. You can shoot 1" groups at 2,000 yards with a 4 bore. get you a good snub nose 4 bore. If you had a Scandium snubnose 4 bore you you could shoot moose at 7 miles.

Cool Long Range

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    that savage arms model 12 FV short action in .308 Win. is awesome , you say its accurate up to 100 yards?
    100yds ? YES ! you can hit out to 1000 yds if you know what you are doing !
    Ask some of these old Marines on here, I'm sure they will step up & tell you that for long range the .308 (w/good scope & ammo) is the real deal ! The other choice for me would be the time tested & proven .30/06 OOOHRHAAA! & yes w/ the right bullet you can take a moose or elk or bear or deer . . . etc w/ either of these 2 rifles & the ammo for these 2 guns is very easy to find .
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

Blog Entries

Still say for long range go with .300 win mag, has better ballistics than the .308 or the .30/06
    I believe you said you didn't want the noise and kick of any of these rifles.