Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Mountain House Meals or Mres better

Default Are Mountain House Meals or Mres better

I was wondering whcih one tasted better. I know there it is more of a complete meal in a mre but I was just wondering.

Mountain house gets my vote for taste.
    MREs I like for convenience. That is, if you have the heaters. And a couple Tbs of water to activate the heater, it doesn't need to be clean. I eat them when I stay in hotels because of that.
    Last edited by pete lynch; 11-18-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I have and use both MREs and freeze dried.
    MREs are not "gourmet", but they don't require much water, other than what you drink. They also require no clean up.
    Freeze-dried has come a long way and can make a great meal, but requires water, some of which you may lose to steam.
    As always, in a survival situation, and not knowing where you're next water is coming from, don't eat.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Taste: IMHO nothing beats MH.

IMHO, speaking of taste only, MH is my choice. But that is just the taste part of it, nothing else.
    Jim

Overall I vote for MH in the taste dept. My favorite is the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. It's chicken, cheese & buffalo sauce that you put in your own tortillas. It's tasty enough that I sometimes have it for dinner at home.

I think that MH tastes like MRE's. Seriously.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I think my handful of MRE's are getting close to their stale date, maybe I should surprise the wife and make dinner tonight ;-)

I just finished off a case that I got in 2002. They were definitely past their stale date.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I just finished off a case that I got in 2002. They were definitely past their stale date.
    Gonna start calling you "FinallyMre!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I've eaten some MRE's that were "past their prime". The entree, crackers, breads, cakes were OK. The applesauce - not so much. Not sure what color that was, but it was interesting looking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK Maybe you know this but it should be in the thread..MRE is full of water. Freeze Dried is not. 3 FD meals is just as compact and full of calories as 1 (real military) mre meal.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

For backpacking I like the fact that the freeze dried stuff does not add much weight, but for areas where acquiring water might be an issue I like the fact that you do not need water to prepare/consume.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.......just different tools in the tool box.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What crash said. I did a quick back of the napkin calculation and concluded MRE entrees and Mountain Home entrees have, on average, about 400 kcal per pound once you factor in the water you need to rehydrate the MH meal, so they're roughly equivalent -- except there's more work involved to prep the MH stuff to eat, which isn't usually a problem. If water is not readily available in your AO (and sometimes even if it is) I'd just as soon go MRE, though if water can be found all over the place MH type meals start to make sense especially if you're looking at longer than 2-3 days.

Like he said they're just different tools in the toolbox, both have their place IMO and nothing wrong with carrying a mix of both either.

Both are fine to eat, I too agree a mix would be a good idea. But on the grounds of flavor alone, MH wins hands down IMHO.

When I first started eating MREs in the mid '80s they were NOT anything like what you guys eat today. They truly were Meals, Rejected by Ethiopians.

Ha, first coupl eI had were dare meals, a buddy of mine entered the USAF right out of highschool, brought back a few chicken a la king and others he claimed were from the vietnam era, not so sure how accurate that was but they werent fresh thats for sure. I ate them cold and it wasnt bad at all, would have been early to mid 90's. The handful I have now I bought a few years ago and I think their stamped date was last year but since they are stored in a secure, temp regulated locker at about 65F they should be fine. I need to introduce my wife and kid to them at some point so if they ever HAVE to eat them it won't be a sticking point. Baby steps for them, I am not a picky culinarian.

Funny thing, hunger.... The stronger the pang the less flavor plays a role! HA HA

I hear you there.

MH for sure, but my stash has some years on it now, so I really wonder about this. Anyone tried this new brand of freeze dried foods, Legacy? I was thinking about refreshing my stock of foods and a friend said they were good. I saw them at this store, offgridoutpost.com, so if anyone has tried them, is it any good?

So I guess my question would be....Service guys and vets,...What do you think?
    I can't say if I ever tried a "Fresh Mre"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27