Thread: Woods gun: 40SW or 357SIG?

Default Woods gun: 40SW or 357SIG?

Im pretty happy with the XD, but they dont have a 10mm.

Im entertaining another XD for woods carry, the next bigger rounds are 40 and 357SIG.

Id be carrying in FMJ, looks like the SIG would have better penetration which IMHO is desired in the woods.

Looking for feedback, and I know... Yet another caliber thread. Sorry.

Andrew

Either or neither.

Seriously...
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Well, after a visit to the LGS I see no weapons or ammo in 357SIG, so that rules that out.

Then I saw this, okay.. several rounds, but it did at least do the job..

.357 sig isn't a 357 mag, and it is different ammo....around here, kinda hard to come by.
    My choice would be .40 S&W.......but for woods carry, I would prefer a .357 mag wheel gun.

You asked.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I realized the SIG and MAG are two different animals. Im starting to lean toward a MAG wheel gun myself.... Nothing wrong with them at all, and unless you get a 10mm, nothing in the conventional auto family comes close in ballistics.

Andrew

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

IMO there is only one all around woods gun.....357mag.

I am not even real insistant on the platform either, although I prefer S&W, almost all the mid-frame 357 wheelguns will do. I have even been known to tote a single action on occasion.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I agree! Its the .357 Mag for me as a woods gun, as there are no brown bears where I live. I also have a H&R single shot in .357 Mag that is quite accurate. The wide range of loads available for the .38/.357 is a big point in its favor. I like a wheelgun , currently the Ruger GP100 4" but a semi auto in 10mm with a high capacity magazine would be attractive as well.

If it doesn't have to an XD, how about a .38 Super Automatic? Pretty close to the .357 Mag ballistics-wise in an auto pistol. I used to have a Colt Commander in .38 Super and it was a nice gun. Lots of muzzle blast and noise but it was really accurate. Otherwise, if you don't mind Glocks a Glock 20 (full frame 10mm) might fill the bill. What general part of the country are you hiking in? That is to say, do you need Grizzly medicine or just something to ward off skunks and porcupines?

Potato, Potaatoe, Flip a coin. They will both work on feral dogs, gators, and racoons.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

I agee...If XD would bring out a 10mm I'd be the first in line. I do have a Colt Delta Elite that I bought in 95. It's now a safe queen. I carry a GP100 4" most of the time unless I'm out west where the grizz roams. Then it's a Redhawk .45 with HEAVY loads. Might have to think about the 10mm again.