Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 as a weapon!

stock-photo-499476-popcorn-here.jpg
    Carry on folks, enjoying the amazing 22 thread that in the past went the same direction on multiple forums! Bravo!

Banned
    Blog Entries

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...ra-lux/Rimfire >

CZ 452 Ultra Lux

Product Description

The CZ 452 Ultra Lux is a beechwood version of the CZ 452 Lux. The Ultra Lux has a 28” barrel for more precise shooting with the factory equipped CZ tangent sights. The beechwood stock is offered on this model to bring our customers the same quality you expect from CZ-USA at a lower price. A 10 round magazine is included.

Choose your configuration:

.22 LR, 10-round magazine, beechwood, golden features, 28.625 inch barrel.

Price

$409.00 USD

.22 LR

Magazine Capacity

5 or10 or single

Magazine Type

Detachable

Rate of Twist

1:16 in

Dimensions

Weight

6.800 lbs

Overall Length

46.420 in

Barrel Length

28.620 in

Length of Pull

13.740 in

Features

Barrel

Cold Hammer Forged

Barrel Finish

Blued

Receiver Finish

Blued

Stock

Beechwood

Trigger

Poundage ADJ

Sights

Iron, Adjustable

Safety

Manual Firing Pin Block
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    The M&P 15/22 was acquired in a trade....and is one of the funnest training weapons I own.....
    That's what I plan on picking up Friday if the sale price is right. I'll have it set up identically to my S&W M&P 15T and use it as a trainer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yea, but you are not going to be able to do that with a stock 10/22 or MkII!

I have owned both and neither will give eyeball accuracy @100yds even after being tuned severely.

Neither will 99.9% of the.22s out there.
    I didn't say that I could do it, I just said it was priceless! I remember when I was a lot younger, my brother and I had disturbed a Bumble Bee hive and they were flying around. He took them out, one at a time with his .22 semi-auto. I don't care if I kill an attacker or not, just put them down so they can't get up again any time soon is alright by me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's what I plan on picking up Friday if the sale price is right. I'll have it set up identically to my S&W M&P 15T and use it as a trainer.
    Much cheaper to run drills with.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Sarge,

Save yer money by not buying the Mini-14. After all, IMO, it's the rifle that spawned the term "minute-of-barn-door accuracy."

For several, extremely personal reasons, I used to be a major opponent of anything that smacked of the original "poodle-shooter" (AR-16). I owned two Mini-14's (an original 180- series and a 181-series), and considered myself well-heeled. I did, that is, until Chance decreed that I should shoot a modern-day AR-15.

With a little careful shopping, Sarge, you should be able to equip yourself with a modern AR-15 at about the same price you'd spend on a Mini-14. And once you get it out to the range, you won't BELIEVE the difference in accuracy/consistency with just about any ammo you can feed it.

-- Nighteyes
    Don't let what the old mini-14 did turn you against the newer ones. The one I had, would shoot 1-1/2" to 2" inch groups at 100 yards all day long, and if I tried really hard, I could keep them inside of 1-1/2". My best 5 shot group being 1.125". Most of the people that I have talked to, with the newer ones have had about the same results. By the way....that 1.125" 100 yards group was with Wolf military classic ammo. I honestly believe that gun is a 1 moa gun. (I'm just not a 1 moa shooter.)

On the other hand, of the 10 to 15 AR-15's that I have seen guys shoot, where I shoot, none of them has gone all day without jamming at least a couple of times. NOT ONE. I went for a while without cleaning that mini-14, just so I could tell the AR guys how many rounds it had fired without cleaning...or a single jam. I finally cleaned it after a few months and a few hundred rounds. (It had still never jammed.)

I'm not a gun guru, and I'm not real smart, but I do try to learn from my experiences. I'd take one of the newer Mini-14's over an AR, even if they were the same price.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Much cheaper to run drills with.
    Cheaper than an inverter, or batteries?
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Yes, and they don't talk back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I won't say that I know much about other rounds, but the .22 lr is something with which I am well acquainted, having competed for years now in smallbore. You probably won't see me talking much about other rounds, or the attributes of various pistols and "shotties" due to my experience being almost exclusively in the smallbore targetshooting arena, but I'd like to impart my opinion on this matter. I know how sensitive the subject of .22 stopping power is, particularly on this forum (I've read you guys a lot, found those arguments fascinating) but I have to say that using a .22 as a weapon is contingent on a few factors:

Do you have no other options? If so: .22 is great.

What type of ammo are you using? If hypersonic, that can work, particularly at long range, and if hollowpoint, that's a better self defense round than a plain, all lead bullet. The big issue with high-velocity and copper-jackets is that at close range they will tend to "pencil" through your target, which is not only less effective, but it also could endanger anyone or anything behind the target.

Are you using a pistol or a rifle? I'd say that for this one, it gets a bit fuzzy. As a rifle round, the .22 makes a great deal more sense, in my opinion, based on the precision required to make it effective, but if you are very well practiced with your pistol, and using the right ammo, it could work well for in-home or short-range defense, and has the lovely benefit of not overpenetrating through walls (generally), so you don't accidentally kill your neighbors if you miss (though if you miss, you probably shouldn't be using a .22 in the first place)

And lastly, on the subject of missing, just how accurate are you? A torso shot anywhere with a .45, 9 mm, or .357 is usually enough to stop or kill, unless someone is pretty cranked up on substances, but a .22 generally will not do that. It will hurt. It will certainly kill. But it isn't as fast. It's the difference between being hit by a car, and being hit by a train. I'd reccomend against assuming the shot alone will kill quickly, humanely, or stop an immediate threat with the immediacy you desire, because while it will get the job done MOST of the time, a sloppy shot may not be enough. I would however say that .22 can be a VERY effective weapon if you are accurate enough to hit heart, spine, brain, or other immediate stoppers like that. However, for practical reasons, that means you'd either be shooting from a distance so you have time to line up the shot, or else be confident that you have learned point-shoot aiming well enough.

Again, do take this with a grain of salt, as the vast majority of my experience is with .22 and other smaller calibers. I think that different rounds are suited to different purposes, and that while the .22 may not be as ideal, it is certainly lethal, and I wouldn't rule it out as a weapon, particularly under the right conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit
    of the 10 to 15 AR-15's that I have seen guys shoot, where I shoot, none of them has gone all day without jamming at least a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit
    just so I could tell the AR guys
    Ahhh, I knew the "ARs are bad" thingy would sneak in here somehow...

Well you are all way off topic except sourdough and 11 bravo, but just to clear things up, or make them worse, I was talking about a 22-250, hey it's still a .22, it will shoot MOA, it will shoot out eye balls, it will instantly kill an attacker, it doesn't jam, it outshoots any AR or M14 that ever existed. Oh, did I say it was a 22 And Kyrat probbaly still thinks it's not a real gun but would not want to be shot with it!

Lol.....

Im almost sure the OP was talking about the .22 of the LR variation. Hell, a .223 is close enough to be in the .22 spectrum, but I doubt it would be in the context of the spirit of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Ahhh, I knew the "ARs are bad" thingy would sneak in here somehow...
    LOL...I guess I did sound like that. I'm sure that there are tons of really good ones. Heck, I have to think there is a reason for so many of them being made. Let's just say that it is not my personal preference. I would never tell anyone not to get one, but what I have seen will keep me from wanting one.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well you are all way off topic except sourdough and 11 bravo, but just to clear things up, or make them worse, I was talking about a 22-250, hey it's still a .22, it will shoot MOA, it will shoot out eye balls, it will instantly kill an attacker, it doesn't jam, it outshoots any AR or M14 that ever existed. Oh, did I say it was a 22 And Kyrat probbaly still thinks it's not a real gun but would not want to be shot with it!
    Well at least it took awhile.....besides Krat is messing with you, just to see if we can get 14 pages of every oddball variation of .22 that ever exsisted...
    So I'm on to .204 Ruger.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If we're going to use a .22 as a weapon, let's see some pictures of your .22 with a bayonet.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    If we're going to use a .22 as a weapon, let's see some pictures of your .22 with a bayonet.
    Well I'm sure Echo2 has one, he has every bolt on option made for a .22

Well the guy that has the new 9MM pistol is going to be at the range this weekend, and I am going to get him over to the 100 yard range and see if he can even hit a target at a 100 yards, then I will show him what my little cheap Marlin .22 will do, which should settle the argument. If this guy can even stir up dust below the target I will be really surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well I'm sure Echo2 has one, he has every bolt on option made for a .22
    Nope....only muzzle attachment would be a suppressor.........waiting patiently.

However.....I have the TS 22LR conversion for my Glock17.......and they make a rail bayonet for that......and Christmas is a coming.....

Oops! I called it a bayonet. To be tacticool on the interweb, I think I'm supposed to call it a ""stabby".
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"