Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 as a weapon!

Default .22 as a weapon!

I have always thought that a .22 rifle is fairly viable as a defense weapon. Not the weapon of choice, but viable if it is all you have. I got in an argument with a guy a while back because he was bragging on his new 9MM semi auto pistol, and I simply stated that within 50 yards it is OK for self defense, but at a 100 yards a .22 would eat his lunch. This guy actually got mad, and was telling me that he could hit a man sized target with a 9MM at 100 yards consistantly. When I ask him if had been target shooting at 100 yards with his new fearsom weapon he stated that he had not shot it yet but was going to the range the next weekend.
    Dont get me wrong, for a concealed carry situation there is no doubt that a 9MM is OK, but if I was going to be out in the wilderness trying to survive in a SHTF situation, I would take .22 bolt action or semi auto 10 to 1 over almost any pistol, wouldn't you? And I am speaking of standard semi auto pistols not the Ruger Chargers, or the specialty pistols that shoot rifle cartridges or 10" barreled revolvers with a scope!
    Some of these 1st time gun owners just crack me up

At 25 yards, with a handgun, I'm happy if I'm knocking down most of the bowling pins that I shoot at. At the same distance, with a 10/22 and a 4x scope, I can pick the head off of a squirrel, so's not mess up the meat.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

????AGAIN????

Not again? Please not again!!!

Pulling out the fingernails was bad, cutting off the eyelids was bad, gouging out the left eye was horrible, but ths is more than a human can take.

Please put the .22 shell in the chamber, place it firmly behind my ear (the only place a .22 has a 50/50 chance of success) and end this misery.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Each situation will dictate what weapon and caliber is best suited. Thats whey there is no "one perfect gun", though the debate still rages on many forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    ????AGAIN????

Not again? Please not again!!!

Pulling out the fingernails was bad, cutting off the eyelids was bad, gouging out the left eye was horrible, but ths is more than a human can take.

Please put the .22 shell in the chamber, place it firmly behind my ear (the only place a .22 has a 50/50 chance of success) and end this misery.
    ...or they could decapitate you........with a Mora.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned
    Blog Entries

My 200 yard Coyote rifle w/ 12X Leupold
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-ultra-lux/

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Okay, let's see a show of hands for those that will volunteer to be shot in the chest at 100 yards by a high velocity .22 LR hollow point! (No body armor allowed.) Any takers?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay, let's see a show of hands for those that will volunteer to be shot in the chest at 100 yards by a high velocity .22 LR hollow point! (No body armor allowed.) Any takers?
    Tell you what Sarge, I have a .177 high velocity pellet rifle I would not want shot at me at 100 yards!!!! That proves nothing!

I do not want a slingshot or BB gun aimed at me at 100 yards!

That is not an endorsement of either slingshot or bb gun as a survival tool.

If all I had was a .22 I would use it, but I doubt I would voluntarily walk into a survival situation with only a .22 and really do not see how I would wind up in such a drastic and depraved circumstance.

The lady who taught my NRA instructors class....and my Instructors Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Disciplines....and my Instructors Home Firearm Safety class.....Carried only a 9 shot .22 LR Taurus revolver.

Any thing is better than nothing....and if a feather weight 22LR light weight pistol is what you are going to use for CCW.....having it is better than not.

If you think most of the criminal element will continue to attack during an onslaught of 22 cal lead flying at them and hitting their mark....Then by all means carry something different.

However....I know of at least 4 instructors personally....who are way more learned than me....that carry either 22lr or 32.

Why some folks get so bent out of shape with other folks opinions is beyond me......cause everyone knows this internet opinion stuff is real serious.....
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

deleted...

I must go take an asprin.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-17-2012 at 05:09 PM.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Personally, my backup self defense handgun is a KelTec PMR30. 30 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 22 Mag rouinds is going to stop or discourage most attackers. At least until I can reach my shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    When I click on your link I get "502 Bad Gateway". Is that anything like bad puppy?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Personally, my backup self defense handgun is a KelTec PMR30. 30 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 22 Mag rouinds is going to stop or discourage most attackers. At least until I can reach my shotgun!
    Well, now we're getting somewhere. A .22 AND a shotty.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When I click on your link I get "502 Bad Gateway". Is that anything like bad puppy?
    "502 Bad Gateway"? Is that like not having a door?
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

A .22 is better than nothing, like a bicycle is better than walking.......How far would you bike before you say "gee, I wish I had a car"?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Tell you what Sarge, I have a .177 high velocity pellet rifle I would not want shot at me at 100 yards!!!! That proves nothing!

I do not want a slingshot or BB gun aimed at me at 100 yards!

That is not an endorsement of either slingshot or bb gun as a survival tool.

If all I had was a .22 I would use it, but I doubt I would voluntarily walk into a survival situation with only a .22 and really do not see how I would wind up in such a drastic and depraved circumstance.
    You don't live in Illinois, you live in a really cool state! Here you can't even use a high-powered rifle for hunting...only black powder or a shotgun! Besides, .22 ammo costs a lot less!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

How far can you walk carrying 40 gallon of diesel fuel vs. one gallon of two stroke mix?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I have always thought that a .22 rifle is fairly viable as a defense weapon. Not the weapon of choice, but viable if it is all you have. I got in an argument with a guy a while back because he was bragging on his new 9MM semi auto pistol, and I simply stated that within 50 yards it is OK for self defense, but at a 100 yards a .22 would eat his lunch. This guy actually got mad, and was telling me that he could hit a man sized target with a 9MM at 100 yards consistantly. When I ask him if had been target shooting at 100 yards with his new fearsom weapon he stated that he had not shot it yet but was going to the range the next weekend.
    Dont get me wrong, for a concealed carry situation there is no doubt that a 9MM is OK, but if I was going to be out in the wilderness trying to survive in a SHTF situation, I would take .22 bolt action or semi auto 10 to 1 over almost any pistol, wouldn't you? And I am speaking of standard semi auto pistols not the Ruger Chargers, or the specialty pistols that shoot rifle cartridges or 10" barreled revolvers with a scope!
    Some of these 1st time gun owners just crack me up
    You know that the only way to settle it between y'all is a day at the range........ain't gotta say it, just gotta do it.....Preformance talks, BS walks......Have at it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    damn good rifles those CZ's..........

I've got the earlier version, once known as 'Brno's.....no idea how many rounds have been through it, was lying rusting in a farmers shed when I found a decade back, but it still puts Powerpoints where they need to go with alacrity. I keep all of my shots to about 70 yds max.........however if you HAD to use it for 'other purposes' I sure as hell wouldn't want to be at the wrong end of 200 yds !!! Likely won't kill ya, barring a fluke shot into an eyeball..... but it'll sure as hell 'discourage' any right thinkin yuman bean !!
    "use enough gun......"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
    damn good rifles those CZ's..........
    Yup. My CZ 452 Varmint, topped with an excellent piece of glass, is an incredibly consistent performer out to about 400 yards (if the wind isn't kicking up). At 400 yds I shoot balloons and paper-plate-sized steel targets to practice my long(er) range shooting -- same type of scope, same general feel, much cheaper to shoot. To prevent anyone from getting the wrong impression, I wouldn't dream of trying it as a "hunting" rifle at anywhere near that distance

I notice, on the CZ website, they've upgraded it just a bit, and renamed it the CZ 453.