Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: .22 as a weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post
    This is always an interesting topic to me on survival/prep forums. There is the inevitable mall ninja quotes, the 22Lr is the best thing since sliced bread quotes, and the list goes on.
    There is also the unmentioned elephant in the room as with most of these threads.

SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, or any other situation where there is no medivac, no chopper to carry you out, or ambulance EMT's to patch you up and carry you to medical aid, your likely dead from any gun shot wound be it a 22 or a 44 mag. The only real difference we are talking here is time to zero heart beat.
    Unless you were a sniper, or other spec ops with advanced medical training with good supplies, your time to ZHB is ticking the moment that lead makes a hole in your body, much less multiple holes.
    The vast majority of combat vets who were shot, cops who were shot, or any other victim of gunshot wounds are around to tell the tale because of advanced medical care.
    A look back in history will graphically display that. For America, the deadliest war was the American civil war. 718,000 dead counting both sides. By contrast, WWII claimed 418,000 lives, and WWI 116,500.
    If we had only had 1800's medical tech for WWII, that number would have been closer to a million instead of 418,000. Specifically, in 1942, the war department changed the criteria for a purple heart. The meritorious service element was stripped from the purple heart. Fatal wounds and non-fatal wounds were the new criteria retroactive to Dec 7, 1941. The war department records listed 964,000 purple hearts issued and since 418,000 were fatal, that leaves us with and estimated half a million wounded vets who survived either being blown up or shot. (remember, I am only talking American losses here)
    By contrast, any serious wound in the civil war was a much higher probability of being a death sentence. Especially so for bullet wounds regardless of caliber due to infection if nothing else.
    If we back further in history and to other countries, it makes even the civil war look like a cake walk. The An Lushan Rebellion in China Circa 755AD claimed an estimated 33 million lives. That was ~15% of the worlds estimated population at the time. If you got stabbed, cut, or shot with an arrow, you were pretty well screwed.

The bottom line is, any gunshot wound that does not have rapid medical care available will likely kill you. For that matter, you can simply cut yourself building a shelter and get yourself killed. Dead is dead, be it a .22 gunshot, a mace to the face, or an open wound from a careless axe stroke.
    Good post, valid point, Kudos for your effort......
    Be aware the logic and facts will not change the mind of a most all here, and most have their minds eye picture of what will be, should be, or want it to be....and thats a fact.....LOL
    Thanks for your effort.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We need to bring back dueling.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I do it all the time. It leaves a big stain on my shirt but that comes out in the wash. Oh wait....you said dueling. Never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    Hahaha....That would sure cause a sudden rise in respecting each other, a little more.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    As long as we're all using .22s there shouldn't be a problem...right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Funny story, in my state, there is apparently a legal precedent for legal duels, so long as they aren't using deadly force, aka "mutual combat"

I learned about this when a "superhero" in Seattle who goes by the alias Phoenix Jones beat the snot out of a racist who was threatening him, after asking some cops on the scene to okay them for mutual combat, which the racist accepted, shortly before swallowing his own teeth.

Laws are kind of scary that way. O_O

Separate note, I still think .22 is a great weapon, personally. Just not going to kill AS quickly as a bigger round, but still deadly.

I will say this much. In a survival type of thing, a .22 LR is a great tool. As a weapon it is left a little wanting at ANY range. That being said, I have seen my fair share of small caliber fatalities that hit just right to do the job. I have also seen where it did NOT do the intended job on a human. Personally if someone is trying to kill me, I will not be relying on a "just right" hit from a .22 unless that is all I had to fight with. Can the .22 kill in an SD situation, YEP. Is it the best option to rely on, NOPE. Save the .22 to fill your belly with small critters and use a more formidable caliber to save your bacon. Over and out.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!