Thread: A trip of self renewal.

learning to survive

Default A trip of self renewal.

So I'm planning a hike that is about 15 miles. It will run though some marsh lands, near a river, and into some woods. I want to make it as primitive as possible. So I was wondering what kind of gear I should take for the trek? I know that I will have a knife and a backpack, But I want to make sure I have what I need. Any suggestions? It will probably be winter and cold.
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

First you need to define (for yourself - it's your party) what you mean by primitive. Primitive does not mean without gear. To some it means no running water and electric outlet for their hair dryer. To others it means using only "primitive" tools and gear (for whatever period you are trying to replicate).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are you spending the night?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

So are you planning on a over night.... or a day trip?
    Cave man primitive?, Mountain man primitive?, or just sans GPS and cell phone?

Those are pretty vague parameters.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I see you've been a member here for years. If you've been reading much here in that time you should have some ideas of what you need. I wish you the best and hope you have a good time, but I'm a bit concerned that you don't seem to have any idea what to take. That makes me question whether you're ready for such a trip. Of course, if you simply are asking for ideas to cover things you may be forgetting, that's cool!

Not sure what a primitive hike is, unless you mean going the hard way. Like through marsh lands, for example.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

learning to survive

Well first of all I have been hiking for a long time. I grew up near the woods and Illinois river. I know the land. and have a pretty good idea what to take with me. I just wanted some Ideas from all of you. Like tips, and gear that I might not have thought of. Yes it will be an over night trip. I have looked at maps of the land and have a good idea as to where I'm going. I am not taking a tent. I am going to take some food, water, knife, dry clothes, and some fire starters. I am going to try some of the skills that all of you have taught me like starting fires. The land is also state land so I cant really hunt for food. And yes I have read a lot of threads here over the years. I'm not a newbee. This is just a chance for me to get away from all the crap in my life for a couple of days. Some of the hike will be in marshlands and it will be pretty wet and messy. Most of the hike will be along the river. I'm just looking to see what people have to say.

You will need to dress for the weather, where ever this is and what temps you will be experiencing, as this will be your primary 'shelter"......along with anything you can build or utilize along the way.

State land sometimes gets a little weird about cutting trees and such, for a shelter, just be aware.

Water purification gear, of what ever type and some thing to sterilize it in.... is good.

Of course your knife, fire kit, first aid kit......

I take it this isn't a "period" type hike, just a bare essentials hike?

No hunting means carrying food, although you may not need much for 15 miles worth.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Take a wool blanket, knife, gun, fire maker, jerky and two canteens of water. Maybe a hand line for fishing. Walk slowly.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

learning to survive

Yeah its not really a time period hike, just bare essentials.I like that it sounds better rather than primitive. I was planning on bringing some water. The fishing gear might be a pretty good idea considering there will be a lot of lakes, and the river. The gun isn't an option. I don,t have a fire arms licence or a gun for that matter. We don,t really have any nasty wild animals around. The worst that we have is coyote, and they are usually more scared of you than you are of them. Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it. Oh what would be the best rig for hand line fishing. I was thinking like a small hook 10lb test and small sinkers.

A small tarp is nice to have. You can get a waterproofed nylon 5' x 7' at Wally-world for $10 in the camping section. It comes in a stuff sack about the size of a can of Chunky soup and is actually a pretty decent poncho. Really, if you have a few snacks, water and the means to make fire you should be good on a 15 mile overnighter, especially if you know the area well. Hopefully you've checked into the laws regarding making fires. Some places don't allow it outside of designated camping areas.

Sounds like a lot of fun! You should cheat on one area of primitive prep- take a camera along! Post some pics when you get back.

If you want to keep your fishing gear small and light, make one of these.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Crash, that's genius! One of these is going in the camping gear. Thankyou!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

learning to survive

Wow thanks Crash. That,s awesome. I will make one today. I was trying to think of a good way to carry some fishing gear without have a tackle box and pole. A tarp would come in handy as well. Thanks all for the great ideas.

learning to survive

So I thought of a good idea to keep your fish in on the beach without having to keep a bucket. Use a garbage bag. Make a small frame with some of the sticks laying around. put the bag around the frame and put some water in it. this will hold the caught fish long enough that you can cook them later. Just a thought.

If you can't take a gun I would have a walking stick at least 5 feet long with a pointed end. Makes a good thrusting weapon. And a good sheath knife.

I think it is bad when you can't carry a gun with you. 2 legged varmits are more of a problem than the large carnivorous animals.

Before I could legally, I did anyway. And a good knife too.
    Last edited by Highhawk1948; 11-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Take a warm sleeping bag. And a tarp. Both are good insurance when you start showing hypothermia signs. You can wrap the bag in the tarp and jump in, or set up the tarp and jump in the bag. It beats freezing to death.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee