Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice on a rifle

Default Looking for some advice on a rifle

First, I'd like to start off saying i'm fairly new to firearms in general but have done a fair amount of research in and out of local hunting shops. Also i'm not here to start a discussion about which rifle is "the best". I am currently in the market for hunting rifle. I would mostly be using it for whitetail, possibly turkey, and in the unlikely event of an attack against a black bear. My main factors are widely available and affordable ammo, durability and reliability in the wilderness. Another factor but not as important is the price range looking for something in the mid price range, something of a beginner's to moderate hunter's rifle (sorry if that doesn't make sense). If you would please be so kind as to list the the rifle, caliber, and a short reason as to why you would recommend this particular rifle. Thank you for reading and any input.

What type of country would you be hunting in? What I'm getting at, is at what distance do you think you'll most likely be shooting at a deer?

As for a "general purpose" rifle ......... something like a Marlin 336. (Lever action 30-30) (Keep in mind, that this probably ISN'T what you'd want if most of your shooting will be longer distances. (300+ yards))
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Sorry forgot to mention he range. Yes, i'll probably be closer than 300 yards, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a higher range. It's mostly mountain, however there are spots that are open field areas where it wouldn't be out of the question that I could take a shot at the 300+ yard mark. Thanks for the help and the follow up question, I wasn't quite sure what info I needed to give for a good answer.

First rifle, entry level. I say a Mosin Nagant. Why? For $300 bucks you have rifle, accessories, and over four hundred rounds of ammo. $100 put into the rifle, you can get some very good accuracy out to some good yardage. KyRat had a good setup before the canoe incident.

(I now stand and wait for somebody to say ".22, it's all about shot placement. BTW a 9mm won't do anything.....")
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

We don't normally use rifles on turkey, that would be a shotgun....which of course would serve all the needs you listed.

I guess you need to be a little more specific, on area terrian, distances, range/type of game.

The standard for many years has been the mentioned 30-30, followed by the 30-06 traditionally.
    Lately a lot of people have gone to the 308, for a long shooter, followed by the pistol caliber carbines, .357, .44 mag etc.

Then you need to decide what configuration you perfer, single shot/DB, bolt action, lever action, pump, auto loader......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've always been interested in those over and unders that have a rifle/shotgun combo. I think Savage Arms makes them among others.

New glock 21 gen4 owner Florida-Mike's Avatar

when i lived in PA i was useing my savage 110 30-06 for hunting deer. ammo cost alot but its very powerful. 18 dollars for 20 bullets

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cartridge: 308 Winchester

Firearm: Good "used" Bolt Action.

Buy two boxes of 150 gr. 308 Winchester ammo (Maybe Remington Core-lock)

Then fine a super good deal on 7.62 NATO ammunition, and buy 300 to 1,000 rounds.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-15-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Ain't gonna be much turkey left with all those calibers. Might be a few feathers left.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I donno, SIL likes to shoot the on the pipe lines with a .22-250....LOL.......Not the Wisconsin method.

its kinda like building a house with only a hammer. One size doesnt really fit all. If you can start with a 22 then a brush gun like a 30-30,357,or 44 mag. Then for a longer range try a 308. It offers an assortment of ammo from plinking to match grade and doesnt have a bad kick. But that last may depend on the weapon itself. Best wishes on your choice. mwp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think this is the best time in history to be looking for a good rifle at a reasonable price.

Savage Axis
    Marlin bolt action
    Ruger American
    Mossburg ATR

All come in NIB for less than $350 w/scope. All are reasonably accurate out of the box and well worth the money. I have not come across a Savage Axis that would not shoot inside 1 1/2" with factory ammo right out of the box and I have dealt with two or three a week for several months at the local range.

For your needs caliber is secondary in importance but if you are doing deer, turkey and the occasional run in with a bear I would choose the .243.

I am opinion number 12, we have several thousand members, how far do you want to go with this? We all have an opinion and they are all going to be different.

However, if they do not agree with ME they are wrong and don't let anyone convince you differently!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-15-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I will always stand by Remington 700 for large game in the Americas. My father started deer hunting the year I was born in 19xx. He bought a used 1964 Remington 700BDL .270. I still have it and I still hunt with it. I would NOT, however, shoot a turkey with such a large caliber. If you can call a turkey up close enough, use a shotgun. If you want to shoot a turkey from a distance, either make sure your large caliber ammo is fully coated, use a small diameter high powered cartridge, or make only head shots (extremely frustrating).

Wow,a big thanks to everyone who posted. Lots of nice advice and new info, I was a little overwhelmed when I went into the shops. So i wanted to see, what would be the favorites. I have never tried hunting for a turkey so it came as a surprise, that most people use shotguns. Only reason i put turkey out there was cause I was listing the types of game in my region. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    ......listing the types of game in my region......
    May I ask what region this is?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    ......................I now stand and wait for somebody to say ".22......................
    And I raise my hand.

The OP obviously needs to learn how to field a weapon, and learn to hunt. I also assume that the OP has walked past many a rabbit, squirrel, coon, possum, etc. to get to that deer/turkey/bear. To take all of that into consideration, a .22 ranks way up on the list. Here, in WV, a .17 centerfire would be my first choice, I'm legal on all of the previous. Open site for those that can see, a very low profile scope if you can't. You need to be able to shoot that rabbit in the eye. A .22 is not legal on all of the previous, but it's cheap, and you can learn a lot in a year or two fielding one legally.

To learn to cook filet mignon well, first you must cook good cat.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I am really surprised that this hasn't broken down into a "weirdest caliber I can think of at the moment".....Like a 30 cal Gibbs where you have to fire form the cases from 30-36 brass, and re-load you own "ready rolls".....so far it just a straight up good advice....

I'll even vote for a .243 as a long shooter...

So lets not get strange......

Even though I do not own a .243 it is one of my favorite all around clibers for here in the eastern U.S.

Longest field shot I ever witnessed was with a .243. I watched through the spotting scope as a friend turned a ground hog inside out at 550 yards using an 80gn HP. That kind of thing will instill a healty respect for any caliber in the right hands. Same rifle killed a nice four pointer about a year latter.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I am really surprised that this hasn't broken down into a "weirdest caliber I can think of at the moment".....Like a 30 cal Gibbs where you have to fire form the cases from 30-36 brass, and re-load you own "ready rolls".....so far it just a straight up good advice....

I'll even vote for a .243 as a long shooter...

So lets not get strange......
    Yeah, the op has actually gotten some good opinions. Now, have we been good long enough that we can start picking on someone?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Yeah, the op has actually gotten some good opinions. Now, have we been good long enough that we can start picking on someone?
    It is getting sort of boring around here. No trolls for over a week and newbies with interesting questions intelligently asked while the members give sound and civil answers.

Mayhap we should go over to the knife section and post a "Mora sucks!" thread or something?

Better than that, we could post a "Ruger sucks!" thread here on the gun section? That ought to be good for a couple days argument, eight pages of replies and a couple hundred posts.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-16-2012 at 01:13 AM.