Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Twinkie Shortage!!!!

This is bad for a town nearby. They are losing a plant, a distribution center, and one of the stores. Plus all the delivery truck drivers for the distribution center. Twinkies will be back eventually. Some other company will buy the rights to them and start producing eventually but I doubt those jobs will be coming back to this town considering it is in California and the costs to do business here are so much higher than in other states.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

The local Hostess plant employs over 120 people. This morning the union employees were still walking the picket line. The TV reporter asked one of them...you understand that the company is closing and you are all losing your jobs right? The response was - we'll keep walking this picket line until the union tells us to stop.

The dirty little secret about union leadership (IMO) is that they don't give a rat's rear end about their workers. All they care about is power. Now they will be able to tell the next company that they are trying to shake down......"you saw what we did to Hostess right?".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The local Hostess plant employs over 120 people. This morning the union employees were still walking the picket line. The TV reporter asked one of them...you understand that the company is closing and you are all losing your jobs right? The response was - we'll keep walking this picket line until the union tells us to stop.

The dirty little secret about union leadership (IMO) is that they don't give a rat's rear end about their workers. All they care about is power. Now they will be able to tell the next company that they are trying to shake down......"you saw what we did to Hostess right?".
    I don't know enough about how these things work, but I do know that our agency and many others prefer to shoot commercials abroad because of cheaper, non union labor. The savings are in the millions.
    What I'm wondering is this: can a company buy Hostess and relocate to one of the states that allow companies to employ non union labor like say, SC?

I believe that it can be sold. Not sure of all of the locations and how many are in right to work states. I imagine that relocating could be worked into a business plan. I think it is important to remember that only 30% of the 18,500 employees were members of unions and of those I believe it was just the bakery workers (don't recall the name of the union) that were on strike.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

New glock 21 gen4 owner Florida-Mike's Avatar

so they went on strike and now they lost there jobs.WOW i do not feel sorry for them,that was a dumb move on the unions parts to do that. they were lucky to even have a job and now they lost it all. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Kryat,
    The Teamsters were there in force, but not on strike.
    The brands are for sale, so a buyer could bring Twinkies and Ding Dongs to AZ.
    We've had so many Twinkies and Ding Dongs move here already that we would barely notice.
    And we could use the jobs...
    Well, up here we have a number of engineering/manufacturing firms..and Ruger, but they could go to, like, Tombstone.
    Twinkies...NIMBY.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

unions are the reason that the rest of the workforce has the rights that they do, such as stat holidays and the right to work in a safe work place, all brought to you by the borthers and sisters who have sacrificed allot for your benefit. until you know what the management has tried to strongarm onto the workers, then i suggest doing your research first , they are the moving force and power behind N America.
    As the originator of the handle twinkie for rick, let me pass along my condolences, but as was already suggested, it is just wonder who is locking their doors, someone else will purchase the rights and soon all will be status quo.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

With all due respect - unions WERE a necessity at one time in this country. They no longer are IMO. If people want to unionize there should be nothing that stands in their way. I also believe that public sector unions should be outlawed. The reason for this is - with private sector unions - the union and the management of the company sit down and hash out a plan. That's the way it should work since it is management that is footing the bills. With public sector unions the people footing the bills are the taxpayers, and they do not get a seat at the table. Instead, the unions negotiate with politicians to whom they can help with big money donations, or demonize with big money donations. Either way, the people footing the bill do not get a seat at the table.

By the way - even the Teamsters thought the Bakers Union was out of line.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    With all due respect - unions WERE a necessity at one time in this country. They no longer are IMO. If people want to unionize there should be nothing that stands in their way. I also believe that public sector unions should be outlawed. The reason for this is - with private sector unions - the union and the management of the company sit down and hash out a plan. That's the way it should work since it is management that is footing the bills. With public sector unions the people footing the bills are the taxpayers, and they do not get a seat at the table. Instead, the unions negotiate with politicians to whom they can help with big money donations, or demonize with big money donations. Either way, the people footing the bill do not get a seat at the table.

By the way - even the Teamsters thought the Bakers Union was out of line.
    Spot on, crash.

Unions are kind of like gangs. In south central LA, Hispanics started gangs to protect themselves from hateful bigots. Useful and needed in the beginning, but look what they turned into.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I think we should all go in together and buy one of the Twinkie plants. We could make Twinkies and call them " Survival Twinkies " and get rich while appeasing all of the preppers of the world. And we would also be doing good for all of mankind!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If we nitrogen packed them in camo mylar and labeled them Tatical Twinkies we could double the price.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

They didn't want to take an 8% cut in wages, reductions in medical or reductions in pension. My math may be fuzzy but I think they took a 100% cut in everything. If you don't like the package where you work find another job. Pretty simple, really. By the way, never strike for wages. You can't make up lost wages.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If we nitrogen packed them in camo mylar and labeled them Tatical Twinkies we could double the price.
    Exactly what I'm thinking Kyrat! We just need some investors to initiate the plan! We could also sell camo bottles of tap water to wash them down with!

Here ya go "Survival DIY Twinkies"
    Be prepared...
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/386814...in-try-recipe/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was in Wally World today and took a stroll down the Twinkie aisle. There were no Hostess products left on the shelf (in this particular store), but the Wally World brand that looks exactly like the Hostess products (Twinkies, Ho Ho's, etc.) were prominently displayed along with a larger frontage for Little Debbie products.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well; not only has Hostess stated that they have received offers for a buyout, but there Hostess Brands the the union have apparently entered mediation in hopes resolving the labor disputes.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Seems the judge that heard the shut down case sent both parties to mediation....must like twinkies as well....LOL
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...180005221.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

must like twinkies as well.
    that seems like to most likely explanation to me as well.

Incidentally, I just tried a store brand which is [gasp] better than Hostess's.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Starving Artist

The greatest tragedy will actually be the loss of the "Blinkie," which, for you novices out there, is a balogna-wrapped Twinkie.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com