Thread: Broad axe...or hatchet

Default Broad axe...or hatchet

Kinda got into this discussion in the last thread...but the thread kinda went down hill......but I was having a problem with the broad ax being right handed only, per Krat. (sorry)

So.......

I was sure I had seen both, so on my trip to the hardware store I stop at theat antique store.......the one I was thinking about, they had had both right and left handed......But I did find a left handed hachet.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

One side flat and the other has the handle hole.......so I brought it home.....for $20 bucks.

Just did not make sense to me to have only a right handed tool.

Quote>
    A broadaxe is a large-headed axe. There were two types of broadaxes both used for shaping logs by hand hewing. On one type, one side is flat and the other side beveled, a basilled edge, this is a hewing broadaxe. On the other type, both sides are beveled, this is a chopping broadaxe. On the hewing broadaxe the handle may curve away from the basilled side to allow a flush stroke when hewing a flat plane on the side of a log. The flat blade is to make the flat surface, and the curved handle is to enable the user to stand on the object being worked on and hew on the appropriate side. Single bevel axes are made either right or left-handed. A double beveled broad axe is used for chopping or notching. When used for hewing, a notch is chopped, perpendicular to the grain, and to the depth to be hewn, then either a hewing broadaxe or adze is used to remove the excess.
    <Quote
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadaxe

I have a right handed hatchet at the city house......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good find. I still look for those. Every once in a while you can stumble up on a deal like that. Unfortunately the future may have use of such

It's always nice to give "experienced" tools a new home.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The store guy did have an interesting thought.......as we were discussing axes....

The one I bought, look to be made so that the handle can be mounted from either end, which would switch sides.
    The handle hole isn't tapered, so it could be a right hand, or a left hand depending which way the handle is inserted.....

From now one he will be paying attention to which side an axe was intended to be used ......single bevel grind for hewing,...double bevel grind for chopping.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Reminds me I was going to post pics.

Here is a view from the end. You can see the flat face of the blade as the opposing side curves into the one sided bevel.

View of the unbeveled side

View of the beveled side.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for the pic's....looks like the one I picked up yesterday.

As the smooth side goes toward the log you are trying to smooth out, I would have to say that it is 'left handed".

Now if you imagine the handle extending out the other end, turns the orientation to right handed.

Had a long talk with the 'picket"' that runs this store, we both found it an interesting subject.

I have a couple of those hatchets, one is a right hander and one is a left hander LOL. I also have my great great great great great grandpa Ellsworth's broad axe, it's a right hander.

You gumbas just put the head on upside down. Sheeeeeeesh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Got to also take into consideration that it was practically illigal to be left handed back-in-the-day. Most of them will be mounted as right handers.

They used to force right handedness. Caused all kinds of problems from indigestion to crossed eyes! You can spot the ones that were forced to write right handed, they always stick their toungue out the left side of their mouth while they write.

You do realize we are collecting all the goods necessary for construction of a pretty proper cabin on someones' property. I am talking raved shingles and all! We could set up a little forge and do the hinges and iron work right there on the spot. I have built a couple on museum sites and I remember Randy showing pics of that nice trapper cabin he built...

and Hunter just bought his wife that new hewing axe, which I am sure she is proud of...

All we need is some logs.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-11-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

[URL="http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

I have a lefty.
    Last edited by rebel; 11-12-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Already got the cabin, but you are correct on the "fixin's to build one....The decor of the cabin is mostly all antiques nessessary to 'get by' in a primitive mode, form tool to appliances, and gear.

Before the left handed hachet was a 8 candle mold, and another coffee grinder..........so yeah we can get by just fine with out the grid, would be harder, but just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ....so yeah we can get by just fine with out the grid, would be harder, but just fine.
    Modern medications (NOT a minor issue) aside, so would I. Truth be told, I'm within shouting distance of the end of my expected lifespan. You see, I'm already several months older than my father was when he died. Therefore I've been busy teaching the final lessons to my extended family.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 11-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.