Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok, its edible, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    I am looking for true use methods tried and true, the what and the hows of prepping wild edibles.
    If you get into a survival situation, you are going to have limited food choices. If you really think the infrastructure is going to go down, as I do, then it is best to get used to the new diet now. It also helps to get all the right "weeds" growing in the yard.

The bulk of any survival diet should be a good grain, such as barley or oats. I keep a good stock of rolled oats and eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning. To this oatmeal, I add ground up dried herbs, nuts, and seeds. In particular, I dry and grind up nettles during early summer. Nettles are loaded with good nutrition. In the late fall I collect evening primrose seeds. The seeds are a great source of omega oils and other good stuff for the body. Another good powdered food source is made from mulberry leaves during the spring. Mulberry leaves are also high in nutrition.

When I make my oatmeal I will make it a bit wet and then add the powdered wild vegetables and seeds. It is very nutritious and I have lived off this daily for over six years.

Since you have to boil water anyway during survival times, I boil whole dandelion plants and make a tea out of it. The tea is an excellent drink that strengthens the heart and gives an overall feeling of vitality. The potassium and calcium is in a form the heart needs and so it should be drunk by everyone all the time, anyway. The boiled dandelion roots taste good right out of the pan and can be mashed to make a mashed potato substitute. The boiled leaves are also good.

Plantain is another good weed to have in the yard it can be added to the dandelions when making tea. Whereas dandelions can reasonably be eaten all year, plantain tastes best during the spring.

Keep yarrow in the yard and make a tea out of it, too. Add it to the dandelion tea if necessary. Yarrow will keep the immune system strong and help to fight off most infectious diseases. But do not wait until you are sick to take yarrow. It only keeps a healthy body strong, it does not cure a disease that has taken root (except for blood poisoning.) The first time I decided to test the efficacy of herbs was nearly thirty years ago. I got blood poisoning from stepping on a sharp rock while barefoot. My leg artery was clearly infected all the way up to my waist when I took a tea of yarrow. The yarrow completely cured the blood poisoning in six hours. I have continued to take yarrow daily ever since.

I agree that you need to know how to cook things. If you don't cook it like the similar food you like then it will not taste like it. also, if you don't know when and how to harvest the plant, it is not going to be its best.

If you just took Bidens Alba and boiled it I am sure it would be a nasty resinous tasting dish.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But, you take only the young tender leaves and boil them and then add them to a pan with some fat and a mix of other vegetables contrasting in color, texture and flavor.

You could even add a little meat to it and call it a meal.

But, you could cook any field green like this. So, if your considering some wild foods, look at what they are most like that you already like and use that recipe. My family loves greens and collar greens are eaten regularly. My daughter makes them fresh. So, we already know how we like them. But, if you eat canned greens, you'll need to learn how they are cooked. It never involves the plant and boiling water and that is all.

As an example google collard greens and look at all the different recipes.

Also google images for canned collared greens and read the label on the front. Every last one of them says seasoned.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    To clarify a bit, this thread is about any type of wiil edible preperation, whether you are the best chef in the finest resturant, to the home cook, to the camp cook, to the folks sitting around a fire pit.
    WVZ- just to ask a question-acorns do need leeching in several changes of water, usuall the red oak, which i have up here, no so much with the white oak, also if you are reffering to milkweed, Sam Thayer proved that untrue and i have also, i eat milk weed (Asclepias syriaca) right off the stem out in the feild.
    Make that two of us that eat young milkweed pods right off the plant then. Right up until they are say an inch or so long. Then a light boil, until they turn almost glow-green, slathered with butter and a dash of pepper and Mmmmm. lb
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...