Thread: Winter backpacking trip.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default Winter backpacking trip.

It's in the planning stages, yay. I've invited one of my girl friends to go with me because otherwise my group of friends would throw a hissy fit for me to go by myself. Really it's only 5.8 miles into the BLM public use cabin I will be spending the night in. But I'm planning it for January (only time I have free) and it could be -50 at the time. Now, I have to replace my snow shoes...
    Here's the trail and description. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/coloradocrkfs.pdf

This will be my first winter trip other then dog mushing trips.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

That's a pretty cold time of year.....so dress warm.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh I know how to dress warm. Only problem is balancing the whole not getting dehydrated with minimum potty breaks that one has to bare too much for!

Okay, now I have those whole knew perspective of potty breaks at -50F. I'm thinking cork but what do I know. While I'm sure it will be fun (yeah, right) that's a tad cool for me. Safety first!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sounds like a fun trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

How do you dress for something like that? The coldest I've ever dressed for was -10 (skiing) and my fingers were numb.
    As far as potty breaks...why not just wear adult diapers for the longest haul? Then deal with it once you get to the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    How do you dress for something like that? The coldest I've ever dressed for was -10 (skiing) and my fingers were numb.
    As far as potty breaks...why not just wear adult diapers for the longest haul? Then deal with it once you get to the cabin.
    Why not wear adult diapers? Because if you are going to enjoy life in Alaska, you have to learn how to pee really fast! Cold butt syndrome is just a fact of life here lol.

How to dress for those temps: Thin nylon socks, thick wool or synthetic socks. I like good old fashioned wool. Under Armor, brand of non cotton long underwear, both tops and bottoms. Then I normally just wear yoga pants, a tshirt, a sweatshirt, my Carhart Arctic Bibs, and my anorak (like a parka but is a pull over, no zippers), Mickey Mouse boots. Neck gaiter that pulls up over lower half of face, mushers hat, glove liners, mittens and I use hand warmers. The main thing is to have your mouth covered so you don't freeze your lungs, and go slow enough to not work up a sweat.

Here's kind of what that looks like.
    24061_365477080889_4024237_n.jpg

Sorry, have a camera in my pocket.
    182426_10150415462800697_5736540_n.jpg

29333_10150211766950697_354650_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Do you ever wear snow goggles?
    I find it hard to be without them in really low temps; feels like my eyeballs would freeze.

Nope I don't. Some mushers do because you can freeze your corneas. I just blink often and break the ice off my eyelashes.

On this trip we rode snow machines up Eagle Summit to plant a flock of flamingos for the Yukon Quest mushers coming in to our check point. It was only about 12 miles but it was -50. My face was sooo frozen. That's why my camera was in my pocket because it froze up and I didn't have the manual dexterity to get it back into it's case.
    180615_1574974136994_3854882_n.jpg

Any difference between the black Mickey Mouse boots and the white Bunny boots? Other than the colors?
    Sounds like it's going to be a nice trip.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Oh I know how to dress warm. Only problem is balancing the whole not getting dehydrated with minimum potty breaks that one has to bare too much for!
    Do you have she-wee? Bare behinds are a thing of the past. Just don't leave it til you're ready to explode, they can overflow!(don't ask how I know this.)
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The only problem I've ever had with snow goggles is fogging on the inside from your breath. You really have to be careful how you dress your face to make sure your breath doesn't vent up around your nose. My main concern for goggles is both watery eyes and snow glare. Once my eyes get cold they start to tear. Probably some ancient Neanderthal defense mechanism.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The only problem I've ever had with snow goggles is fogging on the inside from your breath. You really have to be careful how you dress your face to make sure your breath doesn't vent up around your nose. My main concern for goggles is both watery eyes and snow glare. Once my eyes get cold they start to tear. Probably some ancient Neanderthal defense mechanism.
    My goggles are polarized and have vents so they don't fog. Some goggles also come with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions.
    On the coldest days I wear a balaclava, a helmet (always) and my goggles. Now at -50, I can't fathom what would work. Probably staying home with a snifter.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    My goggles are polarized and have vents so they don't fog. Some goggles also come with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions.
    On the coldest days I wear a balaclava, a helmet (always) and my goggles. Now at -50, I can't fathom what would work. Probably staying home with a snifter.
    Now, if I just knew what a snifter is? Is that a New England slang for a snuggy

Snifter=Large glass for sipping good brandy.....and watch everyone else out in -50 temps on the TV.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Any difference between the black Mickey Mouse boots and the white Bunny boots? Other than the colors?
    Sounds like it's going to be a nice trip.
    They are very similar but less "bulbous". Not as much dead air space in between the layers and a bit lighter weight. They are the only boots I've found that my toes don't freeze in.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Do you have she-wee? Bare behinds are a thing of the past. Just don't leave it til you're ready to explode, they can overflow!(don't ask how I know this.)
    I don't lol. I have friends who use them. I don't trust them due to the over flow issues lol. Every year I am tempted to try one but just never have. Besides, with the bibs most of us wear, you still have to practically undress to use one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel