Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you don't survive Sandy

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default If you don't survive Sandy

The National Weather Service has issued a warning that reads much like the Katrina warning did just before that debacle.

Prominant in the statement is that there will be widespread damage, power outages for extended periods, high winds for DAYS (not hours), extreme high storm surge and the potential for great loss of life.

They specifically state that they are not "overhyping" this event and coastal areas need to be evacuated.

It comes to my mind that there is a fate worse than being a refugee. It is called death.

This is why we have BOB and BOV folks. Just pretend Sandy is the zombie apocolipse or the Soviets have invaded by submarine and get away from the coast! We are looking at real life, not fantacy, get out of there!

Safe traveling, one and all.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

True to the word! Well put. I might add, stashing presidents in a sock from time to time is what builds up the emergency funds. Its not in the bank, ATMs dont work without power.... But under the mattress. This is your gas & hotel money for the short evacuation.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    True to the word! Well put. I might add, stashing presidents in a sock from time to time is what builds up the emergency funds. Its not in the bank, ATMs dont work without power.... But under the mattress. This is your gas & hotel money for the short evacuation.
    Good point. Rarely do you see a little cash, or copies of important documents, among the items to include in disaster scenario.

Good stuff guys.......
    All ya'll in the path, keep your head down.....We will be watching......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My sisters house in jersey by the beach is already 2 feet under water from the storm surge. The worst of it won't even hit till later tonight.

I posted this some time ago. But here is a list of document you might consider taking with you and/or having in a secured environment.

Documents That Must Be Carried..............Documents Protected In Secure Environment
    Immunization records (copies)......................Adoption/custody papers
    Certified birth certificates.............................Social security card (original)
    List of allergies by individual.........................Birth certificates (original)
    List of medical history by individual...............Marriage license (original)
    School records (copies)...............................Death certificates (original)
    Transcripts (copies)....................................Citize nship papers (original)
    Military/DOD (original if active duty)..............Immunization records (originals)
    Power of Attorney for Health Care (copy)......Bank account info. (originals)
    Living Will (copy)........................................Copi es of front and back of credit cards
    List of physicians and contact information.....Diplomas (originals)
    List of investment acc. # & contact info........Transcripts (originals)
    Retirement acc. # & contact info..................School records (originals)
    Social Security card (copy)..........................Divorce/separation & settlement (originals)
    List of advisors:account.,attor.,fin., etc.........Insurance Policies (originals)
    Two forms of picture ID...............................Military papers (orig. if retired/prior service)
    Recent photos of each family member...........Military/DOD (copies if active duty)
    Front and back of credit cards not carried......Passports (original)
    Bank account information (copies)................Power of Attorney for Health Care (original)
    Ins. policy # and contact information............Living Will (original)
    Professional licenses (original)......................Property deeds, titles, mort. docs (orig)
    Medicare cards............................................W ill (original)
    Inventory of safety deposit box contents......Stock, bond, securities certificates (original)
    Citizenship papers (copy).............................Previous years tax returns (copies)
    Attorney-in-fact (copy)...............................Attorney-in-fact document (original)
    Professional licenses (copies).......................Copyrights and patents (originals)
    .................................................. ............Motor vehicle/boat titles (original)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well I survived Sandy....

No generator...didn't need it... went old school with a twist. We used car batteries on trickle charge from three years ago, I posted circuits on how to do this... We have one 32 inch Tv and a CFL lamp that works for hours with a 300 watt inverter - there are numerous 1 gallon jugs of Distilled water spread thru all the refrigerators and freezer that freeze within 1 day and defrost over three days. We have several LED lights on serious backup and two dogs... one trained to bark when folk come on the property.. (that took work) Even when the internet went down I had a back up and phone system.

We reduced the trees last year and that helped too... the high winds were very disconcerting.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I posted this some time ago. But here is a list of document you might consider taking with you and/or having in a secured environment.

Documents That Must Be Carried..............Documents Protected In Secure Environment
    Certified birth certificates.............................Social security card (original)
    List of allergies by individual.........................Birth certificates (original)
    School records (copies)...............................Death certificates (original)
    Transcripts (copies)....................................Citize nship papers (original)
    Military/DOD (original if active duty)..............Immunization records (originals)
    Living Will (copy)........................................Copi es of front and back of credit cards
    Social Security card (copy)..........................Divorce/separation & settlement (originals)
    List of advisors:account.,attor.,fin., etc.........Insurance Policies (originals)
    Two forms of picture ID...............................Military papers (orig. if retired/prior service)
    Recent photos of each family member...........Military/DOD (copies if active duty)
    Bank account information (copies)................Power of Attorney for Health Care (original)
    Professional licenses (original)......................Property deeds, titles, mort. docs (orig)
    Inventory of safety deposit box contents......Stock, bond, securities certificates (original)
    Citizenship papers (copy).............................Previous years tax returns (copies)
    Attorney-in-fact (copy)...............................Attorney-in-fact document (original)
    Professional licenses (copies).......................Copyrights and patents (originals)
    .................................................. ............Motor vehicle/boat titles (original)
    Good grief Rick, If I still need all that why did I get the bar code tatoo?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Emerging from the "Dark Side". All in tact. Relatively unscathed. Lots of manual labor. And it did get a tad chilly Power came up an hour or so ago. Some good lessons learned. Will share after I get a good shower and bath in the warmth of the furnace
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Emerging from the "Dark Side". All in tact. Relatively unscathed. Lots of manual labor. And it did get a tad chilly Power came up an hour or so ago. Some good lessons learned. Will share after I get a good shower and bath in the warmth of the furnace
    Dang....a shower and a bath. And it's not even Saturday! Hahaha....get warm, pal. Glad you're back from "the dark side".
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Thanks for checking in. Enjoy your clean warm goodness!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Glad to hear that things went well.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

You just wait. The S will HTF and you'll be where's my truck title? Oh, crap, where's my Insurance policies. And I'll be all like Told you so. Not that I'm one to do that. Still......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Glad to hear you came through unscathed --- relatively.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good to here from y'all the made it thru......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad every one is okay. It will be our turn here come May and Junes, tornado season.
    Plus who knows what winter will bring? Guess I best go service the generators.
    Take care.

I live in new york city and i have been lucky as of now. my car was totaled by falling debris but i still consider myself fortunate in that nobody was hurt. A few ideas come to mind at this point. 1. We are not out of the woods yet. 2. I have a duel-sport motorcycle that has been beyond helpful. 3. A hose to siphon gas should be in every emergency bag. 4. Battery inverters are key as is my small solar panel i use to recharge the battery. (i have not had to use the battery and solar charger, but i will be bringing the equipment to my aunt, who lives at the jersey shore). 5. stupid people in nyc should at least know by now that you need an emergency radio and extra batteries and led flashlights/lanterns. So many of my friends think i am a nut because they don't even keep the basics around-as if nyc is some place that could never be affected. I hope people are waking up.

Hey Rick. I put all that on a thumb drive and a copy in my safe deposit box on high ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

ITW, glad you are OK. Keep us posted. By the way if your friends think its foolish to have even the most basic just in case emergency items on the shelf, they will be calling you to borrow stuff. Be safe
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thank you so much for posting this...I made a copy. We have a file drawer for this stuff but I want to make sure we have everything we need. Good check list.