Thread: What is in your Bug Out Bag? Gear lists....

Default What is in your Bug Out Bag? Gear lists....

I know what is in my day pack - for hiking but what would you put in a bug out bag? What would be different? Looking forward to your posts.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I bought this sometime back and reviewed it. It's a great place to start!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/144...vglnk-c1028-20

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

OK very cool I will buy the book ...I was able to preview it...but I was more interested in personal thoughts about what folk have in their bag and why.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

What people carry in a "Bug-Out Bag is what THEY will need if they have to leave suddenly and carry for them. What you will need will probably be somewhat different. For example, my wife can't hike, it wears her out just going to the grocery store as she has many health problems. So we won't "Bug-Out" if we can help it at all. If we do we'll just drive to visit relatives.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It's a long, long story...
    Educate yourself and you will be better for it.
    I have a weak left wrist (radial palsy) and every time I started a fire with a farrow rod, my wrist ached. Now, I have a couple of those Gob rods and no more post-fire throbs. I still think that they are too big...
    Welcome to Wilderness Survival.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

It's funny you should ask.....
    Have many BOB's for different things, in different places, so rather than a specific gear list.....I'll just say.....layers.
    Basics......Shelter/clothing, fire, water, knife.

Carry in pockets, wearing shelter, wear on belt......fire, knife, meds, cash, first aid supplies, water/purification, compass, thumb drive with Doc's

Fanny pack,.... all of the above but much more (mostly hunting fanny pack/hunting vests)

BOB's......add food, canteen/cup/stove, poncho, clothes, shelter, sleeping gear.

Vehicles.....all of the above plus vehicle gear, jumper cables, flares, ax, shovel, chain, tarps, gas can, tools.....

Add various fire arms at any or all stages........

If I was to have a fire and grab a coat running out the door, I would still have the basics.....or crash a vehicle,... if I was still alive, I could set up camp.

I do not believe in keeping all my eggs in one place, or all together....deploy your assets.

So...... what do you consider a BOB to be?

I even have a shoulder bag for going to flea markets......outdoor events.
    Bag, poncho's, flashlight, water, enegery bars, insect spray, sun screen, first aid, dry socks, more bags, .... including garbage bags.....and three legged chair.( I get tired after a while.)
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter is so right. If you try to have everthing in that BOB you will need a pack mule, four wheeler, or sherpa to carry it. Always have fire, shelter, knife and water on your belt or fanny pack. Use the BOB for the bigger stuff. The most important thing when packing your BOB is organization. Know what you have and where it is in the bag so that you do not to dump it out to find what you are looking for.

Pack everything you think you could possibly ever need and put it in your Bob, then go for a 20 mile hike and camp out for a couple of nights. Then you will figure out what you don't need and had to pack 20 miles!

Keep in mind that not all contents of a BOB may be geared toward wilderness living. Having copies of important documents, phone numbers, some $$$ will sure come in handy if that bug out involves going to a motel while the meth lab or train derailment is cleaned up. Bug Out does not mean wilderness living.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

money, keys, comb, wallet, lighter, hanky, pen, cigarettes, #$^^%##$$$#$, @#$%%%#, whips, chains, whistles, d@#%$^, and a book.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Keep in mind that not all contents of a BOB may be geared toward wilderness living. Having copies of important documents, phone numbers, some $$$ will sure come in handy if that bug out involves going to a motel while the meth lab or train derailment is cleaned up. Bug Out does not mean wilderness living.
    Like Crash said!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Yes I did a bug out this spring when VA was hit with the severe wind and rain storm. I have several illnesses and the heat is very difficult for me to hanle so my husband said get a room. So we bugged out with things that you might not take with you in a wilderness survival such as snacks, drinks, and things as those are so expensive in a hotel. And absolutely everyone should put aside about $1,000.00 to have for hotel rooms and food if you have to do that sort of bug out and also it never hurts to have that stash of cash for any emeregency so that there is less to panic about. Remeber it should be cash as if there is no power debit cards and credit cards will do no good. To me the most important thing about the bug out bag is it should take most of the panic out of having to leave quickly.

Absolutely you have to practice with you bag until you get it right for you. I have my BOB for most of my survival and then I have another bag that I have ready with clothes and things packed as if I were going to stay in a hotel that I would take also for if I bug out ot the hotel.

There are many reasons we may have to leave our and each person has to decide what are the most liiely scenarios and pack and prepare accordinly.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Three twinkies and a sweater!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    money, keys, comb, wallet, lighter, hanky, pen, cigarettes, #$^^%##$$$#$, @#$%%%#, whips, chains, whistles, d@#%$^, and a book.
    Any particular book, or will anything do?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I know what is in my day pack - for hiking but what would you put in a bug out bag? What would be different? Looking forward to your posts.
    Actually not much different. For me, a bub-out-bag is just to get me from point A to point B. (Or point C, or point D)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"