Thread: Know anything about PCP Airguns?

Default Know anything about PCP Airguns?

I got into some trouble at 18yo and can no longer legally own a firearm. I've looked into possibly downgrading to a misdemeanor, no chance. And it's a pretty serious charge if caught with one, so I'm looking for other options.

I was looking into CO2 guns when I came across some info on PCP airguns. The article I read on them (I don't know where it was... it was a few months ago) stated that PCP air rifles can take down a deer!?

Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge on PCP airguns and/or any other alternative to firearms for home defense? And if so, do you have any recommendations on the best place to get them?

I'm not an expert but I know a little. The best ones are pretty powerful, but as expensive as real guns. The run on compressed air from an on-board reservoir that's pumped up to several thousand PSI. You need a special pump to fill them, sort of looks like a bike tire pump on steroids. IIRC dive shops can also fill them. Pyrmamyd Air is my go-to place for all stuff air gun related.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You need to first check IN definition of a firearm. They are one of the states that considers a BP gun a full fledged firearm and not acessable to convicted felons. They may have the same spec on hi-powered airguns.

I think I would look into a good compound bow and there are sone real nice crossbows on the market these days.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KY is correct. IN DNR lists what equipment can be used.

"Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms and special antlerless seasons. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season."

They are very specific as to what cartridges can be used in all firearms. There is no mention of air guns in the reg. so a call to a DNR office might be your best bet but I'd venture a guess the answer is going to be no.

Archery, as others have mentioned, might be a good option as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

IN has a good gun owners forum group also.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/index.php

You can join and ask your questions. There is probably a sticky in their legal section on this topic.

IN is very specific on allowed weapons, calibers and cartridges.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sorry about your circumstance.
    This reminds me of the tv show the dukes of hazard. If you find a Daisy Duke your doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    IN has a good gun owners forum group also.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/index.php

You can join and ask your questions. There is probably a sticky in their legal section on this topic.

IN is very specific on allowed weapons, calibers and cartridges.
    Awesome! I registered there and got an answer right away! From the following, I think it's accurate to say that an air gun is NOT a firearm and I can legally own one... or 100

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"

Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.3-2008, SEC.254.