Thread: Stale urine bleaching...

Default Stale urine bleaching...

It's been awhile since I read about this in a book series by Jean ??, I called Clan of the Cave Bear. Nonfiction isn't the right word for it, but niether is fiction. Can't be called historical fiction either because it was pre-writing. Anyways, in one of the books, they briefly described a hide tanning process for skins and furs using stale urine. Has anyone out there tried this? If so, what hyde was used? With or without fur? From what I remember reading, you save urine in an open topped container in a partially vented area, similar to the back of a cave. Since most of us don't have a cave in our back yards, the next best thing is probably a cellar with a window cracked open nearby. You'll probably want to partition this area off so the odors don't spread. After the urine sits for XXX number of days, you then soak a cleaned hyde in it, checking everyday to see if it's the desired color. I just built a new shed/greenhouse, and would like to try this out if I can get a donor deer hyde. At the moment, the shed is practically empty, so if I need to install any eyebolts to keep a hyde stretched thru most of the winter, I'd best do it before I start loading the shed up. it's far enough away from the neighbors that I don't need to worry about the smell. Any info greatly appreciated. I'd gladly trade knowledge about food. Either recipes, storage, menu planning, or party planning. Anyone can throw an amazing party. It's all about doing what you can days ahead of time, so you aren't exhausted from pulling an all nighter trying to do it all last minute.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If anyone here knows the process it will be Your Comforting Company. He does many hides each year using several processes. You could send him a PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?