Thread: where to get hardwood for knife handle

Default where to get hardwood for knife handle

I've looked at some sites, and I know I can order hardwood scales from several vendors. However, I would like to find a source of good wood, something simple like walnut or another economical wood that will work for a knife handle, in a 3/8 or 1/2 inch board, that would provide me with enough material for a bunch of handles. Do any of you have a good source for basic hardwood material in quantity?

Try the local home supply store. Home Depot or Lowes carry planks of oak, maple, and several other varieties at a decent price. They can special order stuff as well. Lumber yards will probably carry a greater variety though, but you may not be able to get short lengths depending on the yard.

Short of ordering on line - flooring stores, woodcraft stores, trees. You can use anything, but with most wood (IMO) it needs to be stabilized.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, I've looked at stabilized wood, and wasn't happy with the price. Oh well.

Actually, if you go to lumber yards or floor installing companies and ask if they have any trash wood around, they'll usually give it to you. If I ever get into knife making (I'm slow at most hobbies) I have chunks of marble and other random stones and wood to mess with cause our installers leave trash all the time, so I just dumpster dive a little. If you see a flooring company working anywhere, stop by and ask if they have some scraps around.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have gotten my best wood handles from junk antique furnature. You can get a lot of handles from a walnut chair with one missing leg.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Short of ordering on line - flooring stores, woodcraft stores, trees. You can use anything, but with most wood (IMO) it needs to be stabilized.
    Crash is right, but, for many hundreds of years hardwoods used in handles were not stabilized. So, your walnut handle from the firewood pile is traditional. It will last 100 yrs with a danish oil soak or a oil/ wax rub.

To make it last 500 yrs, a stabilized material is perfect.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I've used fire wood for a lot of projects. I pick scrap from the mill at the end of the street. There are several rendezvous i attend were the fire wood is mill scraps or from a cabinet maker. I get tiger maple, walnut, black walnut, osage, honey Locust, Maple, cherry, oak, and burls on occasion. All free
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    I have gotten my best wood handles from junk antique furnature. You can get a lot of handles from a walnut chair with one missing leg.

If that missing leg is in front then you still have a perfectly good chair. Just sit it on the front porch. Lean the chair back against the wall and place feet on porch banister. You now have the perfect position for resting your long rifle, sipping tea on a hot afternoon or serious inspection of the inside of your eyelids, which should be performed at least once each afternoon.

If said chair is missing a back leg then leave it in the kitchen so the wife will have something to stand on to reach the items on the top shelf of cabinets, pantries and such.

For the OP....Rocklers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Actually, my wife picked up a pair of end tables at a garage sale for five bucks total. She says they're walnut. I'm still trying to pry those out of her eager wood refinishing hands. if she won't let go, I'll have to hit the sales myself.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I've used fire wood for a lot of projects. I pick scrap from the mill at the end of the street. There are several rendezvous i attend were the fire wood is mill scraps or from a cabinet maker. I get tiger maple, walnut, black walnut, osage, honey Locust, Maple, cherry, oak, and burls on occasion. All free

One Rondy I attended used cabinet shop scraps. I looted the woodpile and still have several sticks of that wood left after 15 years. Tiger maple!

I have also made several knives that matched the wood of my long rifles by salvaging sawn sections of the stock or forend while I was trimming.

Nothing like good grained dark tiger maple with poured pewter fittings on an aged carbon steel blade.

At many flea markets you can also pick up atlers. I sometines buy them cheap when there is only one side, the rack is lopsided or if it is a spike buck and I am only needing a small handle. I once made a real nice long slinder knife using a large spike tine about 6 inches long but heavy in thickness.

I also use deer legbone when I can find suitable sections from the thigh and I once used an elk rib on a gift to a friend.

Natural handles are where you or your imigination find them.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-27-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Lot's of good ideas here. I appreciate the suggestions, and I'll just keep my eyes open for good material.