Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food? I don't understand.....

Default Food? I don't understand.....

I used to think Bear Grylls was a clown but having read a few things about him, I'm developing new respect for him.

He was the guest editor for the October (survival) edition of Backpacker magazine (actually pretty good) but in the interview, Anthony Cerretani asked him what the most disgusting thing was that he had ever eaten. His short list was:

Elephant dung
    Bear poo
    Camel intestinal fluids
    and number one was, raw goat testicles

Now my question is this:

Is there any survival situation anywhere/anytime that would necessitate anyone eating these particular items?

One word, NO. It's called selling. Most here don't like him and they'll tell you that. I didn't until I heard his testimonial about being a Christian. He's not perfect but, who is? Because of that, I'll stick with him for better or worse.

I subscribe to that magazine and it was my least favorite issue so far. Having BG all over it didnt really matter. It was like a Survival For Dummies. The monthly survival feature is usually better than that entire issue.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I subscribe to that magazine and it was my least favorite issue so far. Having BG all over it didnt really matter. It was like a Survival For Dummies. The monthly survival feature is usually better than that entire issue.
    That was my take as well. It definitely didn't give me any more respect for him.

BG ate the goat testicles as a guest with local tribesmen. If a local tribe rescues you, then you eat whatever they have to offer.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Too bad he was not lost in Tennessee, they would have given him chittlen's, grits, ramps, pone and buttermilk. Add a side of white beans and he would have died of gastronomic implosion.

Not to mention adding some country ham and watching his colesterol level cause him to stroke out

I personally know people that would starve before they ate grits!

I can hear those "tribesman" now; "They say this guy will eat anything, put some raw goat testicles on there!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I used to think Bear Grylls was a clown but having read a few things about him, I'm developing new respect for him.

He was the guest editor for the October (survival) edition of Backpacker magazine (actually pretty good) but in the interview, Anthony Cerretani asked him what the most disgusting thing was that he had ever eaten. His short list was:

Elephant dung
    Bear poo
    Camel intestinal fluids
    and number one was, raw goat testicles

Now my question is this:

Is there any survival situation anywhere/anytime that would necessitate anyone eating these particular items?
    Never say never, and everyone has heard the old saying, "I'm so hungry I can eat the a whole out of a skunk", So I suppose it might be possible...But I would think the possibility is pretty slim for most people.

I'm sure it's a gimmick rather than practical....

My question is how long can you eat the bulk beans, rice wheat, and all the other versions of "One year of food" etc.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Andrew Zimmeran has eaten ALOT worse than goat testicles, and its not even a survival show. I've never seen anything eaten on a survival show as disgusting as Andrew has eaten.
    People have "yucked" stuff that I have eaten, and I wasn't on a survival show,
    either.
    However, I have never eaten poop, even when I have been instructed to do so.
    ;-)
    Its all relative...I like grits.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

BG ate the goat testicles as a guest with local tribesmen. If a local tribe rescues you, then you eat whatever they have to offer.
    Yeah. I can see that. And, yeah, I'd probably follow suit. As with missionaries, a lot of these people, when they're feeding you awful stuff is giving you their best and starving themselves. It would be way beyond rude to refuse. Not a survival issue, then.

I'm pretty adventurous with food but I try to stick with things that actually are food. The things in the list seems calculated to make you sick and that would lead to dehydration - definitely not good for survival. I mean, the poo would have enteric bacteria in it and that seems to be a certainty for enteritis.

Not only is Grylls a Christian, but, evidently, he volunteers for a lot of things like rescue missions and such.

Why are you trying to convert, many of us to B Grylls fans, Huh?
    Last edited by Mischief; 10-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Well, there was the time I was lost in the goat testicle factory in the Ukraine. If it hadn't been for raw goat.....well, let's just say I've had my fill of some things.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There is no bad food, only bad cooks.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

LOL, Mischief, I don't have a political bone in my body.

And, although is very strongly agree, Intothenew, when you throw the word "raw" into the mix, the cook becomes rather irrelevant.

Read that issue and the only part of that issue I found worth while was the article on Sere School. The New ASG had an interview with "Survivor Man". He made mention of BG, not by name and talked about how dangerous a lot of the things BG did were and BGs lack of credibility since he was spending the nights in the hotel with the camera crew. BG is first and foremost an adrenaline junkie.
    I know what hunts you.

I tend to have more respect for Les. I cant endorse anyone that advises to drink urine. Makes me question anything else that is said from the same source. Just sayin....

Banned

Surprised he didn't use wire and just snare up an elephant or bear for dinner. Another bowl of griz & dumplings anyone?

I don't see any reason to eat nasty things. The goat testicles simmered in garlic (or suitable wild substitute) with some salt would be delicious. Add a little container of seasoning to your survival gear and you never have to eat nasty bits.

Survival folks around here like to eat china hats raw, but yuck.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Beach-vittles
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

We had an expedition cook at one of my camp outs. I'm glad because I had 40+ people there and when you're eating communally, that's sort of an overload for me and my little camp stove. He brought a quarter cow and quite a few prefabricated delicacies. This person is the kind that supplements his income by bartering with local farmers, buying the stuff from the slaughterhouse that no one else wants, and picking up road kill for consumption (he's a biologist so he can assess roadkill for edibility). I will gladly eat anything he puts in front of me. He brought several trays (looked like what we call "sheet cakes") of what he called "pate" (I would call it potted meat). It was made from some of the stuff he had gotten from a slaughter house. They were absolutely delicious. On was a raisin, almond, curry concoction.

I'll try anything once that has a reputation for being food. I'll keep eating it if it tastes good and doesn't make me sick. Since I seem to be immune to just about every food-borne pathogen known, not much is going to make me sick (I've watched people writhe on the floor after eating at a restaurant...."But I ate the same thing"). Slaughterhouses don't phase me.

I used to work at a camp for people with disabilities and one particular camper had been violently ill................ at both ends. It took quite a while to get him cleaned up and up to the dispensary where he could wait for evacuation, and then clean up the disaster left behind in the cabin. I was the experienced senior counselor and I was helping the camper's poor, green counselor. The staff had very nicely set aside dinner for us and, when we finished, I bopped up to the mess hall and brought back two fine catfish dinners. Handing the other counselor his meal, I jumped up on the counter we so recently cleaned and disinfected and started chowing down. Then I noticed the other guy staring at his foam plastic dinner tray. ""Aren't you going to eat?" He just looked at me forlornly and shook his head.

My take on Bears is eat what is available no matter how disgusting, man up and get protein and calories he just goes beyond to show what you need to do in an emergency. Is he my hero? No. Do I respect him? Yes, he has contributed alot and I for one could not hold a candle to the man. I do get a kick at the amount of folks that don't like him for no valid reason outside of the fact they may be affraid of ridicule from others. I know for a fact there are alot of couch survivalist that get no dirt time in yet are self proclaimed experts in the field becuase they read a couple of books. Atleast Bear gets it done.
    Semper Paratus

If you were close enough to the goat to get a handful of raw testicles, how did you miss the rest of the goat?

Oh, yeah. Goat.......good!

I can go with the "eat what they offer you" principle, but eat anything in a survival situation - that I can't go with. One of the biggest enemies to survival is dehydration. If you're wracked with nausea and diarrhea, you're in danger of dehydration. You'll also be weak, to boot. Feces and intestinal contents contain the very bacteria that cause bacterial dysentery (that E. coli that comes around every so often and makes people sick? It comes from intestines.) Even if something is so unpalatable that it's going to make you throw up, you shouldn't eat it.

I also agree that, if you have the goat's testicles, then you also have some really good meat. If you have feces, you probably have more of the plants around that made up the feces. Choice is a good thing.