Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overtraining?

That, too.

So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    This...

When seconds count....the police are just minutes away.
    I like that one.

Go to youtube and type in Shooting during home invasion....see what come up.

Well, y'all know that I'm not real smart, but I have a thought, about this. After thinking about this, I think that rather than shooting 1,000 rounds a week, to train, you would be better trained if you would scare the sh!t out of yourself, every now and then, and try to function with a bucket of adrenaline rushing through your veins. If you can get used to keeping a level head, and functioning at a fair capacity in an "oh chit" situation, you will be far ahead of most people in a shooting situation, a driving situation, a someone is hurt situation, etc, etc.

Some of the people here can tell you how they react in a "stressful" situation. Most people have no idea how they will react. Now I'm not saying that anyone should not practice shooting skills....I'm just saying that the ability to keep a level head is a BIG deal. Why not work on that?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I guess it's what you are comfortable with.......
    Lots of guys that shoot regularly in leagues, different shoots, trap, skeet, all sorts of fun....it's fun but I don't know if it's considered "training".
    Seem to get into a routine at the range, gun does here, full mags, there empties in here, 50 yds, 100 tds etc......Doesn't have anything to do with real life.

As I have never shot at anything other than targets and game, I can't/won't speak to any other kind of training.....just hunting, animals.

BIL had a bad habit of missing while hunting....so practiced at the range, had a bi-pod, range finder, kept messing with the scope, and complained about sight picture...and all sorts of technical stuff.......but shot well 'at the range"

So now you are out in the woods, "stuff" is in your way, it's cold, you are cold, the deer is behind you, you are wearing a lot heavier clothes, so you rifle doesn't shoulder "properly", deer is running.....and you miss?.....Fancy that.

We had the two shot drill......stand there with your rifle/handhun... carried how you would carry it, or hold it.....and walk toward the target, away from the target, target to the right, or left......some one would say "pull" and your job was to find the target, fire, the work what ever kind of action you have a fire again......Object was to hit a paper plate at all sorts of ranges and positions.

I consider this practice......

Some one tells me they shoot 1000 rds a week, and I just nod and smile........your pocket book....but I don't see how burning 1000 rds a week at the same target and range make you any better of a shooter.

You are not gonna do it with a 7 mag, or even a 30-30.....your arm will fall off....maybe that's why the .357 carbines are so popular........

I tend to do my shooting in batches....try out something new, or work on a load, or scope....and when it's "done" and I'm happy with it, I put it away.

I do stand on my porch and rip off a loaded .22 pistol at 2 liter plastic bottles, rolling in the field..... evey once in a while....fun.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Well, y'all know that I'm not real smart, but I have a thought, about this. After thinking about this, I think that rather than shooting 1,000 rounds a week, to train, you would be better trained if you would scare the sh!t out of yourself, every now and then, and try to function with a bucket of adrenaline rushing through your veins. If you can get used to keeping a level head, and functioning at a fair capacity in an "oh chit" situation, you will be far ahead of most people in a shooting situation, a driving situation, a someone is hurt situation, etc, etc.

Some of the people here can tell you how they react in a "stressful" situation. Most people have no idea how they will react. Now I'm not saying that anyone should not practice shooting skills....I'm just saying that the ability to keep a level head is a BIG deal. Why not work on that?
    Well...I'd like to believe that but I'm not so sure...
    I have a super high stress job and live in one of the most stressful cities in the US. Day in, day out, it feels as though I'm on speed but I've learned to cope and thrive. IMO that's entirely different from finding yourself in a crime situation; unless you've been in one (I haven't) there's no telling how you'll react. I can guess, but hope I never find out. Having the skills to evade or physically defend myself gives me an edge I otherwise wouldn't have. Is it enough? Who knows...as in all things, better to have it and not need it....

I train as often as i can and as i can afford to.
    Usually every 3 weeks to a month. It pays to keep sharp in my opinion.

I try to get out every other month....sometimes it's more....sometimes it's less.

When we do have a range day...It generally means about 500+ 22LR rounds....and about 100 5.56 and 100 to 150 9mm rds.

When we shoot long range....I might pop off 20+ rds of .308....40 to 60 rds of .223....and a few of what ever we are checking zero on.

The neighbors horses get skidish if we fire up the .50....so we generally let them know in advance to put them in the field below the knoll when we pull it out. But it cost too much to shoot that a lot.

The cost is why I started running 22LRs....other wise it would cost $300+ for a day of fun...

Most people do not train enough with their chosen firearm, be it civilian, military, police, or your average ccw holder. To build repeatable muscle memory you must execute perfect form and technique a minimum of 2000 times. I don't know where that number comes from but through personal experience training officers, I know the number to be alot. I cannot say I can argue with that fugure. Muscle memory does deteriorate to a degree over time so it does in fact need to be maintained. That being said there are folks out there that "train" frequently and expend tons of ammo but do not hold themselves to correct form or technique which is almost useless. There is a big difference between "training" and "blowing up ammo". Doing something "over and over" does not mean you are doing it right or meaningful "over and over" which equates into a lovely waiste of time and ammo. After basic skills are mastered, I think a box of ammo (50 rounds for a pistol) a week is a reasonable amount of ammo to keep skills from deteriorating. But again, DO IT RIGHT.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Fundamentals....are the key.....indeed.

In Phoenix, I shot with the Cactus Combat League every Thursday night, rain or shine. We leased a range within the range facility, and they buipt a large shed to store targets and props for various types of scenarios.
    There was an open invitation to show up at a given restaurant; that is where scenarios eere fleshed out.
    The magic wasn't in the number of rounds fired, but the circumstances where they were fired. It isn't easy to master "run and fire" or shooting laying on your back.
    Targets on motorized wires, coming from different angles can really get your heartrate up.
    Sometimes, I only shot 2 boxes of 40 cal; other times 5 or 6.
    It was major fun, but confidence was developed that one could engage in a public place without shooting civilians...from cover. :-)
    I miss all of it.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D
    Well, y'all know that I'm not real smart

But you are a master at understatement.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Well...I'd like to believe that but I'm not so sure...
    I have a super high stress job and live in one of the most stressful cities in the US. Day in, day out, it feels as though I'm on speed but I've learned to cope and thrive. IMO that's entirely different from finding yourself in a crime situation; unless you've been in one (I haven't) there's no telling how you'll react. I can guess, but hope I never find out. Having the skills to evade or physically defend myself gives me an edge I otherwise wouldn't have. Is it enough? Who knows...as in all things, better to have it and not need it....
    I was being fasee.....phesea....a smart arse, when I said "stressful". Just so there is no confusion, lets change "stressful" to "Oh, chit! I could die!!!".
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    But you are a master at understatement. [/COLOR]
    Well, I don't like to dress all flashy.........oh, wait....you meant.......ah, nevermind.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Just so there is no confusion, lets change "stressful" to "Oh, chit! I could die!!!".
    Agreed. The only way to "practice" that is to actually put yourself in such a situation. Last time I checked, that was called "self-nominating for a Darwin Award".

Now, as to practice: All I gotta say is, nobody better try nothin' while I'm packin' my two Uberti New Model Army pistolas [10 shots in 10 seconds, no misses], my Uberti '66 Winchester carbine [10 shots in 6 seconds, no misses], or my 12-gauge mule-eared SxS [4 shots in 4 seconds, no misses]. This is 'specially true if they, in any way, resemble steel targets.

-- Nighteyes

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 11-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.

BTW, these "skills" transfer perfectly to my home-defense weapon, my Smith & Wesson Model 19-2. As long as I can keep my own "pucker-factor" under control, that is...

Looks like good shooting to me.....how does one cook up them steel targets.....? LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Build them....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.