Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbine/pistol combos

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I agree........what's the point of both shooting the same caliber.?....Not for me.
    If one is home-bound (aka hunkered down in a fixed location), I agree. The earth, not ones back, shoulders the additional load.

However if one plans, or is forced, to be mobile-- where ones' back must shoulder/carry the load imposed by ones' choices -- there is a lot to be said for "two firearms, one caliber" thinking.

WARNING: Henceforth there be speculation!

Hypothetically speaking, should events place me defending a fixed position (particularly if said position includes a relatively high place), I'll take a scoped .308 bolt-action over nearly anything else. Prospective interlopers won't get closer than about 700-or-so yards.

On the other hand, if I'm hauling aspirations across disputed territory, a scoped bolt-action .308 is more of a liability than an asset. In this case I'd prefer a pistol-caliber rifle or carbine that matches my handgun...

"That's my opinion; oughta be yours!"
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 11-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Do you have a tool box full of 1/2 box ended wrenches?.....LOL
    I guess we can agree,... that each to his own......

No matter what you bring, it will ALWAYS be,...... Aw shut, should have brought the (insert needed tool here).
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do you have a tool box full of 1/2 box ended wrenches?.....LOL
    Yup, along with a double-handful of Crescents, Channel-Locks (aka "water-pump pliers") and Vise-Grips. You got a problem, I got just the tool... [<GRIN!>]

No matter what you bring, it will ALWAYS be,...... Aw shut, should have brought the (insert needed tool here).
    "By Jove, I think he's got it!!" (Heh-heh-heh!)
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 11-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Kinda along the same lines......I once got the bright idea that as there were a lot of grouse around, and not too many deer, I would carry the H&R SS 12 ga with a #8 in the barrel and a slug between my fingers, carring it open, so as to slide or the shot shell, insert the slug and go for it if I saw a deer.

Practiced that move, thought I had it down.....but as you know, range work doesn't compare to the "real, right now moment" to complete the change out.

First time I carried it, in pretty thick pines, 6" of fresh snow on the branches....I spooked a deer, and nano second of fumbling around, I just closed it up and fired...blowing the snow off the limbs, loaded the slug.....and "There he was, Gone"....Missed!
    Don't do this anymore.

Like I said, carry what ever flips your switch.....Or in that old saying "Dance with who ya brung".

Take what you are gonna use, deal with it, and don't over think it....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Hypothetically speaking, should events place me defending a fixed position (particularly if said position includes a relatively high place), I'll take a scoped .308 bolt-action over nearly anything else. Prospective interlopers won't get closer than about 700-or-so yards.
    I gotta applaud your choice of long gun; as I just picked up one myself.

I have a 454 casull wheel gun and am looking into it's carbine equivalent. The round has excellent ballistics, and is fairly inexpensive compared to the other big bore pistol calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet_77 View Post
    I own a 308 and really like that "platform". However, the 300 Win mag, among others, has superior ballistics to the 308. But, that is for another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet_77 View Post
    Thank you. Before that ill-fated canoeing accident, my specific equipment was an older (and oh-so-carefully-broken-in) 24-inch Savage 10FP with a Sharpshooter trigger, slightly elevated in its original (though specially-weighted) Savage stock, sitting on a Harris bipod and a rear bag. Mounted atop of the rifle was a Shepherd 618-V2 scope. Said scope is simultaneously range-finding and bullet-drop-compensating, so that my first -- and hopefully only -- shot would have been on its way in a matter of seconds.

Its way too sad that such a miracle of modern engineering is at the bottom of said lake... [SOB!]

-- Nighteyes

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
    I own a 308 and really like that "platform". However, the 300 Win mag, among others, has superior ballistics to the 308. But, that is for another thread?
    What I like about the .308 Winchester (aka 7.62mm NATO) round as opposed to the 300 WinMag is its substantially greater availability, should the S ever HTF. Though the MilSpec 7.62 NATO round doesn't do well (accuracy-speaking) beyond about 500 yards it is still a good bit better, and more readily available, than just about anything else.

As my favorite syndicated radio humorist, Red Neckerson, so often said, "That's MY opinion; oughta be yours!"

-- Nighteyes

I like my .357 magnum revolver/rifle combo.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    What I like about the .308 Winchester (aka 7.62mm NATO) round as opposed to the 300 WinMag is its substantially greater availability, should the S ever HTF. Though the MilSpec 7.62 NATO round doesn't do well (accuracy-speaking) beyond about 500 yards it is still a good bit better, and more readily available, than just about anything else.

As my favorite syndicated radio humorist, Red Neckerson, so often said, "That's MY opinion; oughta be yours!"

-- Nighteyes
    Trying not to hijack my own thread But, a coworker of mine is always touting the much maligned 7mm mag. So, I finally looked up the ballistics and found that it has excellent characteristics. It's only drawbacks being availabilty and not alot of weight choices for the bullets. It is flatter shooting than both the 308 and 30.06 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
    Trying not to hijack my own thread But, a coworker of mine is always touting the much maligned 7mm mag. So, I finally looked up the ballistics and found that it has excellent characteristics. It's only drawbacks being availabilty and not alot of weight choices for the bullets. It is flatter shooting than both the 308 and 30.06 rounds.
    Pssst.....look at .270 info.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I think that Beretta that carbine that uses the Storm mags looks pretty cool. I'd dearly love to have the Kel-Tec 9mm that takes Glock mags but good luck finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Pssst.....look at .270 info.
    Or the 7mm-08
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

My choice for a one gun carry is a Savage O/U .223 on top 20 or 12 guage underneath with a .22 LR adaptor for the .223 chambering

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...ch_notes.htm/1

http://www.gaugemate.com/hikashop-me...stol-and-rifle
    Last edited by Beans; 11-18-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    My choice for a one gun carry is a Savage O/U .223 on top 20 or 12 guage underneath with a .22 LR adaptor for the .223 chambering

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...ch_notes.htm/1

http://www.gaugemate.com/hikashop-me...stol-and-rifle

I like this.