Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine/pistol combos

Default Carbine/pistol combos

Ever notice that some carbine/pistol combos use the same ammo? Such as the M1928 and the M1911? Also the MP-40 and the "Luger"? Do you think that there is some merit to this idea?

Yes

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Yes

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    You know, that is exactly what I was thinking.

It's my travel kit....

A guy that I work with sometimes ( a really opinionated guy...) has nothing good to say about Kel Tec products. Could you please shed some light on your SUB2000 as to what you like, or dislike about it?

It runs like a champ....just feels cheaply made.

I wrapped the handle with a grip band to keep the grip from torquing when you're shooting and dropping the mag.

Stock tube is cold as all get out.....glued a piece of foam to it.

Front sight is so-so.....after markets are available.

All in all it's a good value for what it is.

I'd love to have a SUB2000 but Kel-Tec doesn't seem to be able to supply even a fraction of the demand for that particular gun. They've been OOS/backordered for at least a year and a half everywhere I've looked.

I think the idea has merit for martial survival, not so much for wilderness survival because having 2 calibers gives you more harvest options.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I think the idea has merit for martial survival, not so much for wilderness survival because having 2 calibers gives you more harvest options.
    Rodger that....why would you want two of the same thing?.......Like carrying two phillips head screwdrivers, and no straight......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Rodger that....why would you want two of the same thing?.......Like carrying two phillips head screwdrivers, and no straight......
    Yeah, I concur. Having switched to the 45-70 lever gun, I may drop my .357 wheelgun as my handgun and go with a .22lr. maybe. I don't know. I'd hate to meet uncle bear and not have my rifle on me and only have that .22.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

It's my travel kit....

I see the validity of a larger rifle cal....especially in the woods.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It sounds like a real good idea, until you need a real rifle.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    It's my travel kit....

I see the validity of a larger rifle cal....especially in the woods.

For a GHB, you are definitely ready. A tiny 200 rd + loadout is great. A bear or wild rabid wooly arctic armadillo is not a threat.

I like rifle /pistol combos, I really love my marlin lever in 357 and my blackhawk. Makes grabbing ammo easy.....although I would be better served with a larger rifle caliber. It just depends where you are and what your doing.

Mostly pistol caliber carbines are just plain enjoyable........My carbine is more like a grown up .22 to me. I've used it for deer with good results though.

I've never had my 2000 drop a mag. I also have the tube covered to protect the cheek a bit. It's not a tack driver but close enough for rough carpentry. They offer an extended butt plate, which I find more comfortable for me. It's very concealable and operable in short order.

I see nothing wrong with a lever action .357 with matching side arm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One point I'd like to add is that the SUB 2000 takes Glock magazines. FYI

Depending on which one you buy. You can buy it to fit Glock 17 and 19, S&W, Berreta or Sig.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've been thinking about a SUB 2000 as a companion to my G23. Pretty reliable Rick?

pistol cal carbines are an interesting concept... it fills a niche role and would work well for someone that needed the extended range (about 150 is max you could accurately use it and some would say 100....200 generally seems to be more iffy especially when just irons are usually involved) if your looking for a firearm that shoots the same ammo and in some cases mags and DONT think that a high rate of fire will be needed for extended times then this might be something you could benefit from... now the cons.... in functioning form (not collapsed if it has that capability) its the same length as an M4...i would not trust in for high volumes of fire nor would trust it to last an extended period of time with rough use... and even tho it offers an extended range ability FOR THE ROUND BEING USED, it is still a short range ordeal with power bleeding from the round at an extremely high rate... so for a short term answer for a short term situation (catrina...put in your backpack..niche role that would be perfect...people dont see it... and if the need arises you use your side arm to buy you 15 seconds to yank it out unfold and dump 30 rounds on them..if its a high cap model...) long term situation...zombies, end of world china take over (your pick which sounds "best" lol) then a rifle thats the same size chambered in a diff round thats designed to reach out 3 times as far as the latter would be able to do with the same cap and much better durability would be something that would be a much better fit...diff tools for diff jobs..

I like the ability of have a whole 'set" of screw drivers in my tool box....but that is just my 2 cents....y'all do what ever you think is right.

Just a note, the officer that was shot muliple times, , this report says 8-9 times, but turned out to be more like 15 times, is recovering from the temple shooting south of Milwaukee.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/07...p-sikh-temple/

Makes me think that maybe I would want something a little stouter..........Again JMHO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27