Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woo Woo! I caught my *FIRST* fish today!

Default Woo Woo! I caught my *FIRST* fish today!

Video is generating, will be a little while before utube has it, but Im excited!

Caught my first fish, have no idea what it is (ID help??), spent the next hour casting up and down the river without a bite.

Got in the car, drove 3 miles down river, found a sweet spot... wide and deep, started casting and caught ANOTHER... of the same fish.

Both were catch and release, not big enough for keepers.

Just excited I did some good today!

Video coming soon....

Andrew

Sounds good! Fishing and hunting can be relaxing, but trying and rewarding. Looking forward to the vid!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

This was only my second time out.... since I was three anyway, so I wont count then.

Maybe it was a Pumpkinseed, but honestly... doesnt look like one.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/fish/

MyFirstFish.jpg

Not sure from the pic but kinda looks like what we called a sunfish when i was a kid. Glad you had a good time and caught a couple. Keepers or not.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Haha, fun thread. I love catching fish.

Remember, they are all edible. Only through away the intestines and stomach when you clean them. Everything else is good eating. Check local water heavy metal levels before you eat a fish liver.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Its still uploading, so if you see no video, its not finished yet...

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Well cool and congratulations!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Looks like a warmouth maybe, some kind of sunfish. Congrats on catching your first fish!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Ill go with Warmouth.... Looks like it except for colors maybe. It's top fins has a row of spiney pokers, I found out...

I guess its safe to just call it a Sunfish??

Andrew

ya sunfish or panfish, I call most sunfish bluegill anyway haha
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I'd call it sunfish. If it were a bit bigger, I'd call it dinner!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Congrats, my son fished for the first time a few weeks ago, looking forward to him catching his first.

An old time angler was down stream fly fishing. At dusk I headed home, and saw he was packing his gear. I stopped to talk to him, asked him if he would give a looksee at my tacklebox and offer any advice on what I have. Really really nice guy...

Anyway, he said every tackle box should have a Rapala Clackin Minnow in it.. He said he still catches more fish with it than any other lure.

Andrew

I like to carry a yellow/black spotted Rooster Tail. That and some worms.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

yellow belly bluegill it looks like, and i dont think theres a size limit on them. congrats

LOL, Down here you cast that same lure and you'll get a snake head, oscar, peacock, or a cichlid. None of which belong in our water. All of which make decent table fare.

I fished damned near everyday for near 25 years. Just hit a spot for an hour or so on the way home.

Fishing is therapeutic. Congrats on wetting your first line.

My nieces haul today. A couple of sea trout and a flounder.

526008_4701112256346_1571983792_n.jpg

Nice sized flounder, Batch.
    Hand caught--
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Attention: All you guys & gals posting the big fish you all caught, you are stealing my thunder. Please put it to rest!