Thread: sewing Machine...

Default sewing Machine...

I'm looking for a sewing machine that is capable of sewing heavy canvas and swede.....codora and heavy nylon.

My price range is around $400 +/-.

I'm looking at a few Singer models... and have thought about a Yamata...but they are a bit higher in price that I'm looking to spend.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    I'm looking for a sewing machine that is capable of sewing heavy canvas and swede.....codora and heavy nylon.

My price range is around $400 +/-.

I'm looking at a few Singer models... and have thought about a Yamata...but they are a bit higher in price that I'm looking to spend.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    try looking at estate sales or even try a big pawn shop

Sorry I missed this before....When I was looking at machines for lightweight leather, the Husquvarna brand was mentioned quite a bit. May be worth looking at. I didn't end up getting one - will keep my eyes out for a heavier duty leather machine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I found my thread injector at a yard sale or on craigslist. I cannot remember which now, but there are always deals at either choice.

Also, call it a thread injector as it sounds meaner than sewing machine...

heres a another option check into people selling used shoe repair equipment

The best machine for all heavy materials (denim, canvas, leathers, and so on) is an old fashioned foot pump treadle machine. You are then not at risk of burning out a machine motor on something to heavy. Watch listing on Craiglist and Estate Auctions. If you are looking for functionality and not a "pretty ole' treadle" you can actually get them quite cheap 100-400. Bonus, they will last you the rest of your life and most small sewing machine repair shops will still work on them if need be.

Another months old thread.

Lehmans sells a brand new treadle. Pricy.
    Still, for canvas and leathers, you want something a little beefier than even a treadle. The machine we used to have for leathers could drive its "needle" through a quarter (I didn't see it happen, was just told by the owner, probably as a warning not to get hands in the way...) The serger and the carpet binder we still have, I think are industrial Singers.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsBecca View Post
    The best machine for all heavy materials (denim, canvas, leathers, and so on) is an old fashioned foot pump treadle machine. You are then not at risk of burning out a machine motor on something to heavy. Watch listing on Craiglist and Estate Auctions. If you are looking for functionality and not a "pretty ole' treadle" you can actually get them quite cheap 100-400. Bonus, they will last you the rest of your life and most small sewing machine repair shops will still work on them if need be.
    I just re-aquired my g-grandmother old treadle machine , a singer. Needs a belt and some TLC,should have never allowed it to go out of my possession, as my mother wanted me to have it,but since I never knew when we were going to have to move yet again I was afraid that it would be damaged beyond repair, or that the now ex would sell it while I was at work. I can not wait to get it up and going, I have an Amish friend who runs a sewing/ material shop and her husband works on all the old machines in the community.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

We bought ourself a Chinees Sewing Machine.. It's a great machine, doing 8 mm of leather, thats two pieces of 4 mm and thats a lot...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Who distributes those machines Roel?

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    We bought ourself a Chinees Sewing Machine.. It's a great machine, doing 8 mm of leather, thats two pieces of 4 mm and thats a lot...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Would love a link or a brand name , wouldn't mind having one like that!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

cool sewing machine, here's a link to a similar one

http://www.annebonnyslocker.com.au/ablesew/index.htm
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Brand name I forgot. We bought it in the Netherlands.

http://www.leernaaimachine.nl

From there I think you will find out...
    And the site is also in English.
    Last edited by Roel; 04-10-2015 at 03:08 AM.

Stay away from the "Jeans Machine". Ours is/was a POS. Looking at online reviews, the most striking was. "I really wish my husband would run over it with his big truck."
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

What is a jeans machine? And forgive an old Dutchman, but I don't know what a POS means....

Jeans Machine is a model of sewing machine. I think it's made by the Singer Sewing Machine Co.

POS stands for Piece of (Excrement). Aren't you glad you asked?

look at a husquvarna it,s swedish i think doing heavy work esspecially you want one with steel gears
    many of todays machines have plactic gears be sure to check that out before buying one.

I do believe the OP has moved on. Don't know if he bought one or not, but it's been about 2-1/2 years since he asked.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And if he did the warranty is gone so.......