Thread: A Brown Bear (Grizzly) hunting experience.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default A Brown Bear (Grizzly) hunting experience.

I was guiding a hunter in Wide Bay, it was the day before the bear season opened, so the hunter and I slept in. I had two 8'X8' "Bombshelter" tents set up facing each other about 6' apart. One was for sleeping and the other for cooking. I told the hunter to stay in his bag till I get the coffee made and the cook tent heated. So I crawl out of the sleep tent on hands and knees, and figure as it is only 6' till I have to get back on my hands and knees, I'll just crawl over to the cook tent.

Well I get about halfway and a nice 8'+ brown bear comes from behind the cook tent and walks right up to me, still on my hands and knees. I don't want to move more than necessary, so I go down slowly onto my elbows and knees and freeze with my hands over my neck fingers locked, waiting. The bear walks up to me and sniffs my head, then continues moving till it head is over my butt, and its front feet are next to my elbows. For a long time it just sniffs my butt, which after 60 days afield was very aromatic. Plus most likely there was dried blood on my pants from packing moose.

As nothing was happening (I was not getting nibbled) the bear was just sniffing my butt. I remembered I was responsable for the hunters safety and calmly told him not to move or bump the sleep tent. The bear just stayed there sniffing my butt, (the flap to the sleep tent was still open) so I calmly asked the hunter to slid a rifle out to me with out disturbing the tent. He said, "Which one do you want". Remember he still did not know there was a Brown Bear on top of me. I said, slide my rifle out slowly, very slowly, but he needs to stay in the tent. Well, now he wants to know what is going on......???? He says, "do you want the barrel first"....??? I said, yes and about that time as the rifle started out the flap of the sleep tent, the bear calmly raised up and swung to his right, and slowly walked off. I watched his large butt walk away. Then made coffee. I understand that that hunter moved to Alaska, and may even be an AOD forum member. He is a very good hunter, and hunts all over the world. I am so glad he remained calm.

Sniff my butt in that situation, he would smell fresh doo doo.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hahah Sour. Bet you needed a cigarette after that one!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

That hunter missed a bear...

Never mind...
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Wow, great story! Working as a cook for backcountry work crews, I've had some close encounters with brown bears, but not THAT close! Glad you made it out fine

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Makes me wonder what the bear found so interesting about your butt? Fall romance perhaps?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Great story, and the best one are the one you can tell with out scars........
    That's a whole lot calmer than I would have been.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Makes me wonder what the bear found so interesting about your butt? Fall romance perhaps?
    Too funny! Thanks for sharing the story SD and I'm glad it ended well for you.

I would love to sit around a camp fire and listen to your half century of stories. I'm sure that is just one of many, many good ones. Impressive that both of you remained calm. I'm just glad he decided not to sit down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Glad things went well. Wow!
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Well, if you change your underware everyday......we do, I give mine to Brad, Brad gives his to Ron, Ron gives his to Joe, then turn them inside out and start over......

Still a great, "been there story
    Some day I'll have to tell ya about the 'big foot attack" in the middle of the night.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, Rick, Rick.....use it for a face towel BEFORE Brad, Ron, Joe use.......well......you get the idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel