Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show & Tell: Whats your back pack?

Default Show & Tell: Whats your back pack?

Always been using a USGI ruck sack... But, its not ranked for creature comfort.

I like earth tones, specifically OD Green, and Im in the market.

Please advise what you hump and why. Id like something that can carry a fair amount if necessary, but not a shoulder & back "killer" like what I have now.

Also for discussion, internal Vs. external frame.

Any links & images you can provide would be nice.

Thank you in advance for your time,
    Andrew

I got the wife and I the Kelty Falcon 4000 from Botach.....they were on sale for $110 each.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

The wife and I both have Kifaru Navigators along with their E&E pack docked and locked to them.
    I know what hunts you.

Both appear to be outstanding packs, the Nav looks like exactly what I want.

However... both are outside my price range. Im at about $150 max.

Thank you for posting, looking forward to more suggestions....

The wife and I have Kifaru Molle with E&E docked, and we have some long pockets and claymores on the outside. We are thinking of upgrading to a bigger pack and dropping the pockets.

Take a look at the Snugpak line of packs.

ive heard nothing but great reviews on the kifaru packs, unfortunetly the come with a great price! currently i am packless had a pretty good hiking one when i was a kid but i think my brother stole it from me

Thanks Echo, nice pack & nice price!!

I may go with that, or a surplus USMC marpat pack I saved in my ebay search.

Thanks again!
    Andrew

Arron over at Trader Jerry's had one over in the "used" bin for $60...don't know if it is still there....but it's a really good price.

I make my own for the most part. I used to use a Kelty internal, but it just didn't fit right. Fit is hands down the most important feature in a pack. After fit, you need the right size for your stuff, and enough weight transfer for the intended weight. If you have a light pack, you don't need as much weight transfer. The packs I have been putting together are mostly external frames. There is a reason for that, but first lets talk about internal packs. Internal packs are great....if.....you take the time, and spend the money to get the right one. First it has to fit. You have to go to the store and try on a bunch with someone who knows what they are doing. That doesn't mean you have to buy one in the store, but it will give you a better idea on what size suspension you need. Second, you need to have the right pack for your equipment. The sleeping bag is the biggest item in the pack, and the two should go together. If your sleeping bag is ginormous when packed up, or you spent less than $100 new on it, then chances are, it won't fit in any external. Well, it won't fit, and still leave room for other equipment. This is the single biggest problem new backpackers make, especially my scouts. Internal frames are great...if you follow those two rules. Someday I might pull the trigger on a Kifaru or McHale.
    External frames are great all-arounders. They are more forgiving with fit, and can accommodate a monstrous sleeping bag. And, depending on the internal frame pack you are looking at, they are even lighter, and cheaper. I always recommend external frames for beginners. I am not saying you are one.......
    The cheapest way to get an external frame pack is to go to a thrift store, buy a used one, then buy MOLLE suspension and slap it on. Here is where I buy my MOLLE suspension. http://tonystactical.com/ (I am not connected financially to them, just a happy customer). Also, it looks like they have a few ILBEs for $80.

Here is a picture of my first attempt.
    I used MOLLE suspension on a frame I had as a scout, with bags strapped on. I took my two sons with me, so had to carry alot of extra gear.
    Then I made my own. Here is my suspension on a trip where I only carried my stuff.
    And, here is the same suspension when I took my 4 kids and had to carry a lot of extra stuff. I should have put on the MOLLE suspension on this trip. It would have been more comfortable. But, I wanted to see the weight limit on my hand made stuff.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'm an Alice guy. The one on the left is my pack. The one on the right is our trauma kit. Both have been upgraded with Molle shoulder straps and hip belts.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I,m sorry Echo2 but you got ripped off no offense but the kelty falcon 400 packs you bought are garbage thats not even a a real kelty pack it,s a knock off they make in china for kelty. kelty name on the tag just not the same quailty i was scammed by this when i bought what i thought a long time ago was a real kelty pack from academy sports an i got the low end version Red Cloud 90 i found out the hard way an spent nearly 200 dollars on a pack that was really worth about 45 dollars the Red Cloud 90 i did my snooping around on the internet an went back an got a refund this has been years ago. So fast foward to 2011 when i went direct to keltys website an bought a kelty Red Cloud 110the biggest pack they got next to there military/tactical packs yours is a Kelty Falcon 4000 from Botach i say no way you got cheated because the real kelty pack they got on keltys offical website is called the kelty Falcon 66 for 300.00 dollars and it is a military pack go see it http://www.kelty.com/p-261-falcon-66...y=backpacksnot trying to shoot my gun at you i,m just trying to save you in the long run cause hacking in a unsafe pack if that is what you are useing it for can cost you and your family your life. god bless

Rick, those aren't MOLLE hip belts. Just sayin......

Quote Originally Posted by jcm10974 View Post
    I,m sorry Echo2 but you got ripped off no offense but the kelty falcon 400 packs you bought are garbage thats not even a a real kelty pack it,s a knock off they make in china for kelty. kelty name on the tag just not the same quailty i was scammed by this when i bought what i thought a long time ago was a real kelty pack from academy sports an i got the low end version Red Cloud 90 i found out the hard way an spent nearly 200 dollars on a pack that was really worth about 45 dollars the Red Cloud 90 i did my snooping around on the internet an went back an got a refund this has been years ago. So fast foward to 2011 when i went direct to keltys website an bought a kelty Red Cloud 110the biggest pack they got next to there military/tactical packs yours is a Kelty Falcon 4000 from Botach i say no way you got cheated because the real kelty pack they got on keltys offical website is called the kelty Falcon 66 for 300.00 dollars and it is a military pack go see it http://www.kelty.com/p-261-falcon-66...y=backpacksnot trying to shoot my gun at you i,m just trying to save you in the long run cause hacking in a unsafe pack if that is what you are useing it for can cost you and your family your life. god bless
    I had a Kelty Raven 41....and I ordered the wife's first just to check it out. I could not tell any difference in weight of material, quality of stitching, buckles,and strength of webbing. That's when I ordered one for myself.

I've been dealing with Botach for a few years now....and when they have clearance items or a sale items....I've got some silly cheap deals. Things like Peltor Tactical hearing protection for 65% off....flex cuffs for $1 a pr....Brunton Solar panels for less than 1/2 price.

I don't think it is a copy....but I'll get on the horn with Botach to see if they have had any issues with it.

I'll report back once I hear back from them.

Well hush my mouth. I did say hip belt didn't I.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

He said: (MOLLE SHOULDER STRAPS) & (HIP BELTS), as I read it anyway...

those kelty falcon 4000"s look nice but i didnt see them in the link, only the 2500"s

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    He said: (MOLLE SHOULDER STRAPS) & (HIP BELTS), as I read it anyway...
    Sure, take his side. My chances to correct Rick are rare and far between. It doesn't matter what he actually said, or even meant to say. What matters is what I thought he said. And, I thought he said "Molle (shoulder straps and hip belts)".