Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Les Stroud question...

Default Les Stroud question...

So I see this on Les's facebook page today:

"simple question to all fans of survival and my show - i have always been very quiet on the subject of....Man vs Wild and its host BG. Do you all think it would be a good time now - for me to once and for all express my opinion and thoughts on this subject matter. There is after all - no one else out there who knows exactly how it all started and what has gone on both on screen and behind the scenes as much as I have. What i have to say will upset some. Appease others and vindicate even more. So I put it out there - would you like me to break the silence and speak out on the topic?.....L"

What do you think? Spill or let the beast rest... I think the very nature of this post shows his opinion, as well as the few digs he took on the latest Survivorman 10 days show..

IMHO, Les should remain neutral and silent... Anything he says could hurt his credibility with the audience in one way or the other. If there is something to be said about BG, BG should be the one to say it.

What is the story of BG anyway??? I know about DC's assorted fabrications, whats BG's current rumor status??

Andrew

Let it alone.....what difference will it make?

Anything said now will just sound petty.....it'd be different if BG had called him out....but that's not the case.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Forget about his credibility, Les needs to tread carefully. BG still has a reputation to those ignorant of the true facts or simply naive. This could bring an enormous lawsuit by BG and Les doesn't need that.If he feels that he must spill the beans then he should have a special blog or page and mention all of the stupid things that Bear demonstrated on his show, and weather he mentions BG by name, show title, what ever, state up front that the following is just his opinion based on certain facts that he knows about. Remember, the late Doctor Ron Hood was originally involved as a consultant when MvW 1st started, but left in disgust when they faked a bear by using a man in a bear suit and trying to make it look like a real one! Dr. Hood never suffered any damage at that time, but Bear has gained a lot more fame since then, started up the BG chain of "Survival Clothing" as well as equipment.

Eleven Bravo, Bear was proven to be a fake in many ways. One was when it was found out that he never spent the night in the shelters he made, but was wisked off to a near-by Inn to spend the night in comfort!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 10-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Eleven Bravo, Les was proven to be a fake in many ways. One was when it was found out that he never spent the night in the shelters he made, but was wisked off to a near-by Inn to spend the night in comfort!
    Don't you mean BG?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 10-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I think Les gains little by trashing Bear Grylls. In spite of how bad some of what he showed on television was Bear did serve honorably in the British Military, recovered from a horrible accident, and did climb Everest. All very admirable things. He also was the head of Scouting in the U.K. and did a lot to promote scouting internationally. Tearing him down does nothing to help Les. I think the best thing Les can do is when faced with a similar situation on his own show, talk about the right way to do things and what could go wrong if something else is done. This way he is taking on the bad advice or action done by Bear but Les stays above everything. Make it about the training and not about the personality.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Les would only demean himself by going after one of his competition. Also, I agree with Sarge, there would be a needless lawsuit; much is already publicly known/suspected of BG.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Cool Thanks Ranger!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Don't you mean BG?
    Yes I did, I corrected it, much thanks!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Les does need to tread cautiously, here.
    I can't see an advantage for Les, or a large disadvantage for Bear.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

SARGE 47 - "... Remember, the late Doctor Ron Hood ... Dr. Hood ... "
    Sarge 47, just as a point of clarification, Ron Hood did not have a PhD. Several years ago on his site, he explained that although he had a Masters degree, he had never completed all the requirements for being awarded a PhD. One being, if I remember correctly, he'd never had time to research and write the necessary dissertation, etc.

No matter a "PhD" or "Masters," Ron was definitely a "master" in the outdoor survival field.

BTW, I knew Ron both when he lived in Los Angeles, and when he was here in Idaho. He was a very knowledgeable "survival" expert and was a person of fine character. Also, he and Karen were outstanding film makers.

S.M.

Blog Entries

Cool Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Sarge 47, just as a point of clarification, Ron Hood did not have a PhD. Several years ago on his site, he explained that although he had a Masters degree, he had never completed all the requirements for being awarded a PhD. One being, if I remember correctly, he'd never had time to research and write the necessary dissertation, etc.

No matter a "PhD" or "Masters," Ron was definitely a "master" in the outdoor survival field.

BTW, I knew Ron both when he lived in Los Angeles, and when he was here in Idaho. He was a very knowledgeable "survival" expert and was a person of fine character. Also, he and Karen were outstanding film makers.

S.M.
    I've heard him referred to as "Dr." in the past so I assumed, in error, that he had his PhD, however, like you say, he was definitely a "master" of the outdoors! That being said, he stood head and shoulders over both David C. and Bear G. any day of the week, that's for sure!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I think there outta be a "Battle of the Survival All-stars".... to settle all this once and for all.......

Ya know listening to all the "social media" on these guys and their followers....sound like a bunch of 14 year olds........

Y'all know these guys are TV personalities, right?.....and a lot of this stuff isn't real, but made up stuff for viewer entertainment?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

my thought is Les should just let it be. be the bigger man and leave well enough alone.

IMHO FWIW Let it Lay or Lie your choice.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

How is the discussion going between LS and BG? I think the sun shines for everyone... Just better find the good sunny place

Les - less is better. Bear is going down in flames on his own, already. My only advice to Les would be to stick to "Survivorman", something he does well and a lot of people can relate to.

Les hasn't said anything in the past...so why even bring it up now, or is he looking for more publicity? Leave it alone just go on his own way.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

I'd love to see Bear get brought out and beaten publicly for the fraud that he is. But then again i'd like to see that of most people on "reality" shows....

the first survivorman got eaten all up they never found his body

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by old2531 View Post
    the first survivorman got eaten all up they never found his body
    I think that is a contridiction of terms,
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?