Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilderness Survival class- Dave Cantabery

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

I liked old Dave on the series, "Dual Survival!" I'm going to miss all of his crazy, idiotic crap that he used to do, like:

1.) Trapping a skunk under his hat.

2.) Improvising a "Bee-proof" suit to get honey out of hive in a tree...that failed, and he got stung a number of times.

3.) Going after a large 'Gator with a stick and bringing it's carcass back to camp.

4.) Cutting his arm so that Cody could cauterize it with flaming black powder.

5.) Going out in the dark of night to check traps by the light of a fast-burning torch.

Then there's those "cute" sayings that only our beloved Dave could say:

A.) "If you don't wanna run with the big dogs, stay on the porch."

B.) Red-neck fore play: "Get in the truck."

As for David leaving the show, I only watch it for Cody Lundin!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well if any one is around Tatum Tx this weekend the International Society of Professional Trackers are having there annual round up. Should be interesting.

I would like to attend one of his classes. Seems like a lot of knowlegeable people around him. Would be great if he had a class in the Missouri Ozarks.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzthecat View Post
    I would like to attend one of his classes. Seems like a lot of knowlegeable people around him. Would be great if he had a class in the Missouri Ozarks.
    Well get a place to do it and I know some people who could arrange it.

Irregardless of the background of all the "survival" hosts, what is taught and can it be applied as practical and dependable is what I look at. If you notice, on some of the shows there is a quick disclaimer that local experts sometimes teach some of the "tricks" to the hosts regarding what skills to use in a particular area. We can still benefit from these shows overall if we sort out what may or may not help us. One good thing is that most of us do actually get out in the bush in the first place. Or at least have sufficient knowledge of how to camp based on actual experience. I've learned of a couple of fire making technuiqes that I never knew of. Have yet to try them but am aware they exist.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleWolf View Post
    Irregardless of the background of all the "survival" hosts, what is taught and can it be applied as practical and dependable is what I look at. If you notice, on some of the shows there is a quick disclaimer that local experts sometimes teach some of the "tricks" to the hosts regarding what skills to use in a particular area. We can still benefit from these shows overall if we sort out what may or may not help us. One good thing is that most of us do actually get out in the bush in the first place. Or at least have sufficient knowledge of how to camp based on actual experience. I've learned of a couple of fire making technuiqes that I never knew of. Have yet to try them but am aware they exist.
    This is the whole point to taking classes. The school is hosting the event to get people who know Dav out to see what they have to offer for other classes.

They are talking about having a Pre 1840 style out doors class in Tatum TX some time around the first of the year. I will defiantly be attending that class as well. I have personally meet to teacher a the ISPT meet a few weeks back. This guy has some really good things to teach and has lived the skills as a mountain man.

I didn't have the chance to serve in any military unit, but use to service equipment at Ft Knox and several other places. Wheather mil or civ I've never had any use for people that talk a lot about what they have done, it seems they get carried away, and I start thinking they really don't know what.
    After joining rescue units, I developed a sense to the point that I could watch someone else doing something and usually find a way to do it better. Bragging over.

Bill
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-14-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spell
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by ctdcb18b View Post
    idk what yall are talking about with all the liying but you can learn alot from that guy just watching his 100s of free youtube videos oh yea and there free lol
    but what do any of yall thing about sigma3 or e2e schools there classes are much cheaper than the pathfinder school i think like with everything else in this world your overpaying for a name
    just my thoughts
    I have been to both the Pathfinder School and Sigma 3 (for different classes). I found the Sigma 3 classes to be more structured and focused. It seemed the Pathfinder class had more of a "camping with Dave" feel. Sigma 3 has a wide range of classes from basic wilderness survival, wilderness medic to tactical classes as well. All classes taught by instructors with real world experience in what they teach. I would highly recomend them.

Banned

$500 -- Haha.

I would go to the class, but not for $500. I learn from anyone I can and learn as many different ways as I can find. Then figure out what works for me. This goes for most things in life.
    Feel Free Outdoors on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/shatteredangels

Blog Entries

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsaber View Post
    I would go to the class, but not for $500. I learn from anyone I can and learn as many different ways as I can find. Then figure out what works for me. This goes for most things in life.
    You could attend the Bear Grylls Acadamy for 10 times that much!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Wo... Dave is a poser? Many years back when he just had his website it was pretty darn good. After he became famous it turned into one big merchandising shop. I just would not have thought that he bs'd about the Rangers, like nobody would find out. Like I always say, it's a small world alot smaller than you think. As far as Bear, I called poser back when he went to Panama before all his side show acts became public.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Wo... Dave is a poser? Many years back when he just had his website it was pretty darn good. After he became famous it turned into one big merchandising shop. I just would not have thought that he bs'd about the Rangers, like nobody would find out. Like I always say, it's a small world alot smaller than you think. As far as Bear, I called poser back when he went to Panama before all his side show acts became public.
    Frank, weren't you the one that started calling BG "Grylli Manilli?" Or was that WarEagle? Anyway, I like 'ole Dave, but then I was never military so it doesn't affect me like it might some others on here. Glad you chimed in!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I do believe it was WO. My ref. to BG is POSER.

Sarge - lying about military service, while offensive to those that served is also, and more importantly a testament to character.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sarge - lying about military service, while offensive to those that served is also, and more importantly a testament to character.
    Point taken, however I think of him more AS a character. As I said elsewhere, I watched Dual Survival to watch Cody, not Dave. I always thought of Dave as "comedy relief." You can learn what he taught, mostly, in the Boy Scouts.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yep, it's called "lying," as Crashdive 123 said.

Liars can not be trusted.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 11-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Yep, it's called "lying," as Crashdive 123 said.

Liars can not be trusted.

S.M.
    I'm well aware of that, I never believed that he was who he said he was to begin with. That raid on the bee hive was an indicator that he didn't know what he was talking about.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin