Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throwing Sticks

Trapper

Default Throwing Sticks

Does anybody ever hunt with throwing sticks anymore? Not boomeranges or spears. Good old throwing sticks like the one in this picture http://www.hawaiiancollectibles.com/.../GameStick.jpg Mine is about 3' long and almost 3 pounds. I can hit an object from up to 15 feet away with enough accuracy and force to probably be able to kill a small animal. But I'm not trying it until I can do so well that I know I can kill at least a rabbit from 20 yards. I remember on Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls making a throwing stick, and he talked about the Hopi using this weapon for hunting for many many years.
    The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.

John 3:8

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    Does anybody ever hunt with throwing sticks anymore? Not boomeranges or spears. Good old throwing sticks like the one in this picture http://www.hawaiiancollectibles.com/.../GameStick.jpg Mine is about 3' long and almost 3 pounds. I can hit an object from up to 15 feet away with enough accuracy and force to probably be able to kill a small animal. But I'm not trying it until I can do so well that I know I can kill at least a rabbit from 20 yards. I remember on Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls making a throwing stick, and he talked about the Hopi using this weapon for hunting for many many years.
    What about the sling, it was good enough for David? I think if the stick works for you it works for me.
    -Sam

Trapper

Oh yeah. There are a crapload of throwing weapons that you could use. My personal favorite though is the throwing stick. This catagory page on wikipedia has a good number of different weapons, and i'm sure if you typed one of them in your browswer you'd get instructions on how to get, make, and/or use them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Throwing_weapons my favorite non-lethal weapon on there is the Bolas. Those look like a heckload of fun :]
    The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    Oh yeah. There are a crapload of throwing weapons that you could use. My personal favorite though is the throwing stick. This catagory page on wikipedia has a good number of different weapons, and i'm sure if you typed one of them in your browswer you'd get instructions on how to get, make, and/or use them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Throwing_weapons my favorite non-lethal weapon on there is the Bolas. Those look like a heckload of fun :]
    The bolas can be lethal depending on where you strike (head-neck)
    -Sam

Foxman - the funny thing about Bear's throwing stick........there is a youtube vid out that shows him missing, and missing, and missing, and missing. Apparently they ended up catching a rabbit, and tied it to a stake so Bear could get close enough to hit it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Trapper

I know... But I just mentioned that because of the background of the weapon. I don't really know if I trust bear completely.

I like to use a throwing stick every now and then but I could hit the inside of a barn with it. It's a slightly curved cedar stick. I think a sling is more lethal but it took me a long time to get accurate. A throwing stick is probably one of the simplest weapons out there. As for bolas, They are good for waterfowl and birds just to bring them down from flight. Ancient asians used a weapon kind of like bolas except with one weight and threw it in combat.

Do you know what you call a boomerang that won't come back? A stick.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Trapper

My stick broke today... but I expected it. It was just a piece of cherry that I found on the ground... It's not to sturdy... I'm going to make one out of cedar or hardwood. Maybe oak. I plan to have a lot of throwing weapons before the month is over. Later on I'lll start a new thread about them.

Why, not just grab a bunch of sticks, and throw until you kill?

OK - I'll ask. Why? and what for?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If your lucky, one stick might be big enough the smash in the head of the rabbit. The others that don't do crap, the rabbit could sit all confused until the big one brings it down.
    ---
    Sarcasm aside, wouldn't more be the better?
    I'm hungry..and no, I'm not interested in salted down beaver.

I guess I'm just wondering if you're going around killing animals for no reason. In three different threads you've talked about killing bluejays, rabbits, squirrels, chipmonks, and others. If you need to take an animal to survive, then by all means do so. Try to take it quickly as possible out of respect for the animal. Maybe I'm reading some of the posts wrong, but it almost sounds like you want to kill them for fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I guess I'm just wondering if you're going around killing animals for no reason. In three different threads you've talked about killing bluejays, rabbits, squirrels, chipmonks, and others. If you need to take an animal to survive, then by all means do so. Try to take it quickly as possible out of respect for the animal. Maybe I'm reading some of the posts wrong, but it almost sounds like you want to kill them for fun.
    More like we're being played.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Oh, I started thinking that quite some time ago. I figured if not, maybe some learning can take place and if so, maybe somebody else will learn. Either way it's not skin off my nose. (Besides, I told WE I would play nice)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    my thoughts exactly
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I consider these weapons as short-term survival hunting implements. I used to carry one around a year back for any animals walking about, or for just plain defense, but I have relied on the bow to much now. I have become quite effecient in felling, tillering, curing, and shooting these homemade tools. Iv'e only made a handfull of bows with a shard of flint ( ordered flint from 3riversarchery, due to the lack of materials in my area), and I make my own bowstrings from Yucca and Indian Hemp (like to work scavenged dead deer hides into bowstring). But of course I would turn to the old throwing stick to capture kill a Rabbit or two if I don't have time to make a bow.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

And in terms of hunting, I believe hunting for fun is just pure evil and sickly, even against nature. When I hunt, I kill from hunger ( Gungy Wamp is huge, so being a few miles back into the forest is not worth leaving to go home and make a sandwhich), the true reason to hunt. And I strongly believe in utilizing every bit of the animal (bones for tools, intestines to dry and twist into cordage, sinew for cordage, stomach for container.....ect ect......) I used to hunt for fun about 3 years ago, but for about 3 years up today Iv'e changed my ways.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

No, no no. I wouldn't want to kill an animal for fun that's just disgusting. I was just saying, grab alot of sticks, and throw them because I think the chance of actually killing your prey is slim.
    I'm hungry..and no, I'm not interested in salted down beaver.

Rabbits fear my name.....

A really good throwing stick can be made with the base of an Ash, ironwood, oak, or hickory sapling with the rootball still on, and the bark scraped off and sanded for a smooth release.