Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheeled hand cart

If the thought of bogging down in winter snow strapping on wider coss country skies might be the way to go for a start.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Hi Sarky
    I don't know what you want to use it for, but I remember (a very long time ago) seeing an article about a guy who trekked across (part) of the Sahara carrying all he needed in a 'Chinese' wheelbarrow. This was a strange contraption, a sort of lightweight rectangular trailer with one central wheel, like the centre-board on a sailing dingy, with the load balanced all around it, and two handles at the back in the usual way. Hope this is of interest. Regards, Tallboy.

Skis would be a great idea in the snow once you solved the problem of how to keep them attached. Sure would make the pulling easier. We've used a dog sled behind a 4 wheeler with or without snow quite a bit. The sand wears the runners down eventually, but it works like a small stoneboat pretty good. For most things we've used steel wheel carts, but I've had 700 lbs on two wheel cart with wheel barrow tires lots of times. But, as Rick mentioned, you don't push it by hand on ground that is not as hard as cement.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I can hear my late wife's voice echoing down the canyon right now,

"You're going to hitch me up to WHAT????"

That one should go in "The Dead Prepper's Handbook". Just the suggestion might end your life.

Feminists in the western states beware!!! TEOTWAWKI you revert to pack animal status.
    Hear! Hear!

Oops..busted.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Well the real cats meaow would be a light weight cart with a solar collector, battery, and a DC motor so when you hit a hill you could engage the drive system and let it power itself up the grade! You could also have a cell phone charger, lights, and a small radio as well

Still like the one wheeled cart......with power source......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I wonder what you think you would need to carry so far, weighing so much? Far better to have your goodies already stashed at your chosen spot, don't you think?

Having a "cart" is all about having options, a good way to move things when other options fail.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Going, I don't have plans for building a cart just for leaving my home. I plan to stay here if something bad were to occur. But, if someone feels they need a cart to carry extra weight, then it's the simplest solution. If someone wants caches that's fine too. I could pull a couple people on a tobaggon and maybe a cart too, but I couldn't carry them on my back. In the woods, a cart doubles as a firewood hauler. The old neighbor collected firewood in an old steel wheeled cart until he died in his eighties. He was bent over and skinny and their are few that couldn't do better than him.

Just make sure if you build one with only one or two wheels, that the load is centered over the wheels. By doing it that way, you won't be expending energy lifting any weight, or at least very minimal weight.

Wheelbarrows would be a poor design to copy, as would a lot of garden carts I've seen (which isn't many). Reason being that most I see are designed to use one or two wheels and then some legs to be stable when not being pushed or pulled. A cart truly designed for hauling wouldn't sit as pretty, but it would be super stable when in use. Think about those chinese taxi carts, i forget what they are called.

Plans:
    two bike tires with a steel axle running to both of them. placed a few feet apart. A simple wood box centered on this axle. The axle wouldn't be spinning, but the bearings in the wheels would where the motion occurs, so the axle can easily be attached to the bottom of the box. Two handles extend along the sides and past the front of the box by a few feet. That's your basic pull cart that can be made mostly by stuff found at garage sales and salvaged lumber.

Don't discount a bicycle to carry a heavy load....you don't have to ride them...but they can be road.......dual purpose.

Google bicycle cargo capacity.....you'll see some inventive contraptions.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

edited......
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 07:31 PM.

You might find this interesting.

http://www.ridekick.com/

I just don't get the whole take it with you concept. History teaches us that refugees leave home with everything but the kitchen sink and wind up with nothing and eating tree bark. Why should we fare any better?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

SJJ, where have you been hiding yourself, man? Nice to see you around!

I can't see the benefit of a cart in a bug out situation...at least not for me.
    It doesn't allow you to fly under the radar and manoeuvre through crowds quickly. And sooner or later, someone will try to take it away from you.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I can't see the benefit of a cart in a bug out situation...at least not for me.
    It doesn't allow you to fly under the radar and manoeuvre through crowds quickly. And sooner or later, someone will try to take it away from you.
    I'm gonna lay odd you are going to be avoiding crowds like the plague if a "bug out" situation ever occurs.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Here's a couple one wheel models for sale locally as deer carts.Attachment 8470

ECHO 2 - "Don't discount a bicycle to carry a heavy load...."
    The Viet Cong did very well carrying heavy loads on bicycles, a few years ago.

S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I just don't get the whole take it with you concept. History teaches us that refugees leave home with everything but the kitchen sink and wind up with nothing and eating tree bark. Why should we fare any better?
    Whats your plan in that given situation? Get a jump on the tree bark recipes or die when the front reaches your house.