Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a ?

Default just a ?

why do people not like gerber ?
    now dont get me wrong i am not a fan of the bear grylls series of gerber broducts but i do like the lines of other fixed blade knives gerber has to offer just wondering other than the bear stuff why dont people like gerber
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beats me, some of my best fleshing knives are Gerbers. My favorite knife for skinning bear is a deep bellied Gerber.

I Like Gerber. I have a Gerber BMF bought in the '80s, it's a great knife. And I have a Gerber Profile fixed knife and I'm very happy with it: Cost $20, razor sharp (hollow grind) and easy to resharp

cool thanks guys i just picked up the prodigy today love it so far cant wait to put it to work lol
    My Youtube Playlist

My knife I carried in the Marines was a Gerber bootknife and I also have several others,I think it is because Bear Gryls is a moron.

Gerber has had some quality control problems in the last few years.
    I bought a Gerber folder a couple of years ago, while out on the road. Within a week I was having probpems with the lock. I took the knife apart and fixed it. There was nothing wrong with the parts; it uad been assembled improperly. I still have it
    A Gerber BG is my back-up survival knife, and I have put it through its paces; good knife. Unfortunatly, I also bought.the Parang, which has been recalled. Service related to this recall has been lousy. This hasn't helped the rep.
    So, I've moved on to Camillus (and my Esee 4).
    Too bad, because I was a big Gerber fan for a long time.
    One guy's story.
    Last edited by jfeatherjohn; 10-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

I have a few Gerber knives and like them just fine. I don't own any Gerber BG knives and doubt seriously that I ever will.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yea the bg stuff is a poor quality in comperison to gerbers probucts however my friend ownes the bg compact survival knife and i have used it a few times i got a buck skinner knife for 20$ whal my friend spent 50$ on his bg his knife has held up better but thats likely cuz i have seriously bin misusing my skinner but i do like the compact bg knife the sheath is not so nice its like a cheap copy of the timberline mini pitbull kydex sheath only bg uses cheap plastic

i heard the bg parang had actually hurt a few people in use due to defects for a machete id go with a coldsteel product cuz dang you ever seen the product videos on them nuts crazy stuff

thanks for the input guys
    My Youtube Playlist

Gerber Prodigy is my outdoors knife for the last couple years, no complaints. I think overall the opinion of the offshore manufactured Gerber products is the negative one, the product made in the US still gets respect as good quality. Their warranty dept helped me out well this past year also, my wife tossed my M600 multitool in the fire by accident and in the morning when I found it, it had the buttons melted off and wouldn't open. I emailed Gerber, told them what happened and they said send it in, we will send you a new one. They did and I am happy.

yea on the back of the prodigy box it said lifetime warranty
    My Youtube Playlist

I have a couple caping knives from Gerber. I bought them because, more than anything, their size is right for a couple of my kits, but they are nice small fixed blade knives.
    I have 5 Gerber multi-tools, 3 Suspensions and 2 Vises.
    No GBs, though.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

nice lets see some pics of are gerber stuff loved or not
    My Youtube Playlist

IMG_20121012_120759.jpg
    so these are my gerbers
    the gator back machete i have had for 3 years and its bin loved hard lol i have used it to cut through trees over a foot think and it has held up so far upsides i saw back works good holds an edge ok and has held up ok downsides it is possable because i have done it to cut your hand bad whal sawing if the saw stops and your hand dose not as the bace of the blade holds its edge very well 2 it is not full tang and part of my handle has chipped off 3 the allen head screws the hold it all togeather are through plastic and well over time you tighten them up so much you can feel it on the other side
    my little gerber ez out holds is edge very well just keep it as a small knife in my pack
    and my gerber prodigy i just got i yesterday its sharp as heck out the box and i cant wait to use it out at camp
    cant wait to see yalls pics and stories about your gerbers
    My Youtube Playlist

IMG_20121012_122354.jpgIMG_20121012_122412.jpgIMG_20121012_122418.jpg
    so these are better pics of the damage on the gator the chip and the screw issue
    My Youtube Playlist

I love all 2 of my gerbers...lol. I may have given people the impresion I didn't in another thread ,but every deer I every skinned and fleshed were with those 2 gerbers. That is till I started making my own knives, now mine are all I use an buy.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by wholsomback View Post
    ,I think it is because Bear Gryls is a moron.
    I agree with you although Your being a lot nicer than I would
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Gerber knives and have several. I like them because they are cheap, somewhat durable, and easy to sharpen. I have lost a couple over the years and replaced them with similar models. I don't like them being made in china, or whatever foreign country, but I tell ya, it's aweful hard to find anything these days that is made in the US...

The knife I'm carrying right now is a gerber that has all the black worn off the blade. It's what I've used for several years in a row for every skinning project I've had, birthday cake, splinter or thorn in my hand, steak, etc.
    Last edited by your_comforting_company; 10-29-2012 at 07:58 AM.

I like Gerber as well. They were just looking for a way to boost sales, GB was popular and they went for it. Sometimes marketing ideas don't work out or backfire completely. (Anyone remember WKRP dropping live turkeys from a hovering helicopter? Too funny. Or the real life ones like New Coke or Sony Betamax?) Somewhere in the hallowed halls of Gerber is a marketing exec now working in shipping and receiving.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by ctdcb18b View Post
    nice lets see some pics of are gerber stuff loved or not
    Y'all wouldn't want me to do that, 'cause I'd take up a whole danged lot of space. As many of you know, I'm documenting the Gerber BMF and original LMF knives. Of course, in the doing of that I've managed to acquire quite a few of 'em. In my personal collection are six unique BMF's and seven unique original LMF's. And then there's the "left-overs."

I also have a rather impressive collection of Gerber Mark II's including one very-very-rare example, three very-different Gerber Guardian II's, and what-have-you. And, of course, there's always the Gerber Multi-Pliers and their progeny...

Generally speaking, pre-Fiskars Gerber knives have much better quality than post-Fiskars Gerber knives. There are obvious exceptions, of course.

I'm not really against Gerber but I'm a bit of a knife snob. Most of my knives are ESEE, JK Handmade, Knives of Alaska, Falkniven, Helle, Bark River, Busse, etc. Mostly I'm just a knife nerd!