Thread: UTG Messenger Bag on the way...

Default UTG Messenger Bag on the way...

I really really want a sling bag I can use for CCW and keep a few things at ready access, such as map, GPS, flashlight, etc...

I really want a Versipack, but at $70+ it is out of my league.

So, I searched for alternatives and came up with the UTG Leapers tactical messenger bag. Placed an order in my favorite color, ODG, and will review it upon arrival. At $30 with free shipping, worse case it may make a nice man purse for casual outings, but according to the reviews its a good bag with quality so I think it will meet my needs in the field nicely. Time will tell.

I think it can take a 1l Nalgene bottle, plus Ill add my "critical survival gear" in it, such as signaling, fire making, some first aid, navigation (GPS, maps, compass, etc..). Then I have ready access to my weapon too. Fast move response with my main pack off, at least Ill have a "ready pack" on me at all time that will have the most critical gear.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=utg%20messenger%20bag

Ill update later...

Andrew

Let us know, sounds like a good piece if the quality is there.

I've been looking at that one for a couple years! I'm eager to hear your opinion of it.

Ill be doing a field review video of it, will post it here when its ready.

Andrew

When I want to travel somewhat light I carry a survival/day hiking kit based on a Maxpedition 12 x 5 bottle holder. I keep a 40 oz Simply Green bottle inside along with a cooking cup, collapsible sil funnel & filters. On the outside I attach a SOG Seal Pup will BlackHawk! strips. The large front pouch has plenty of room for fire stuff, blanket, water tabs, etc etc. A little less capability than you will have with your larger pack but easy to carry with a neck strap from an old laptop bag (cheaper and more comfy than the Maxpedition one...).

I can't wait to see what all you include in the kit!

I think you'll like that bag. I have one that I keep just for when I go out in the canoe. It will hold a lot of stuff.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

My thoughts on the use of the bag:

Dayhike: #1 use, CCW. I never go naked, and never ever in the field. Its just a rule I have. Also, fire starting (kitchen matches, firesteel, PJCB, fire sticks, etc), knife, water purification tabs, navigation (GPS, map, compass, pace beads, etc), signaling kit (mirror, strobe, blaze orange vest, whistle), comms (Wouxon dualband with "all" the frequencies programmed), bug spray, illumination (white & red lens flashlight, headlamp) and a little bit else...

Overnight: Carry the same bag, with the same kit... AND a backpack with MSR pump filter, extra Nalgene bottles, alcohol jet stove, cook kit, food, hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag, USMC field tarp, Golok, etc...

I think Ill try to fit a USGI causality blanket in the UTG bag.

Once in the field and I setup camp, the UTG bag will be slung at all times except for sleeping so no matter what might happen, Ive got the "critical kit" on me.

Thats the plan, anyway...

Andrew

I have a casualty blanket in mine. There is a zippered compartment/pocket in the back of the bag that holds that blanket nicely, if folded right.
    Wilderness Survival:

How do you feel about the construction of the bag?

Are the zippers a YYZ zippers or comparable? are they locking sipper pulls?

Are the seams either double or triple stitched? Are they consistent?

Is the Velcro of good quality?....does it begin to "fuzz out" after a few pull aparts?

Are the buckles solid? Do they lock?

Does the webbing curl or stay flat?

Is the internal sleeve rubberized?

Did you get a holster with it?....is the Velcro in the pistol pocket strong enough to keep a pistol from moving around?

Does it have the pads on the back to keep airflow?

I've been carrying the jumbo Versapak since they came out.....been very happy with the utility of it....it may be a man-purse....but it's a cool man purse.

Older pic....but you get the idea

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am going to play the devils' advocate here.

What is you actual purpose and scope of use for this item?

1. Your CCW needs to be on your person for immidiate access. Nothing screams "I'm packing" like a man purse and if you need to immidiately access the CCW the man purse is the first thing that will be removed from your possession or it will be impossible/improbable for you to access it. "Concealed carry" does not just mean out of sight, it also means no attention is drawn to the weapon's presence.

2. By the time you get enough "critical gear" in that bag to feel adequite you will be wishing for two shoulder straps.

After years as a teacher, trying to carry far too much in a single strap shoulder, bag I can verify that they are unhandy, clumbersome and far too easily overloaded. In the woods I want something that will be out of the way on my back, not catching everything as I pass. In town I want something that will not scream for attention.

My "critical gear" is in a backpack that remains in my car in the urban setting. I can access it in a despirate situation and walk home but it is not going into Wallmart, Wendys' or the courthouse with me. All my "urban gear" is on my keychain or in my pockets.

My CCW is on my body and is only removed when necessary, and I am the one that decides when "necessary" is in effect.

In the woods my "critical gear" will be enough to sustain me for an overnight emergency, and I have found that a "day bag" with two straps is best suited for my use.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Echo, I havent received it yet, but I will inspect it on the points you mentioned.

As far as carrying, nothing screams "Im carrying", like open carry... which I normally do. However since Id like to "blend in" a bit better on something like the AT, I thought Id try a tac bag for CCW. Bandoleer style with it on my left front should allow easy access to weapon, and GPS, etc.. Keeping the contents limited should lighten the load and keep it from being too uncomfortable. The heaviest item will be the XD.

Additionally, I hope, in this config I can still carry the ruck comfortably. We will see...

Andrew

There's a velcro loop thingy on mine so you can attach the bag to your belt to balance the weight.
    Wilderness Survival:

Echo, I see your radios... Did you get your HAM licenses???

In the pic are 3 units that Depending on the situation....I would have picked one.

I have changed my views on which comms I carry....I keep a small pelican case in the vehicle...with a few radios in it.

I grab radios as needed.

I have not taken my general test yet.....weird thing....I have 4, 2 meter radios.

My brother has his extra license though.

I get what has been said about a back pack vs a shoulder bag....but these type of shoulder bags have a place.

I generally will have a holster in the bag....so if I'm going to drop the bag in the car....I can keep the CCW with me.

And as far as screaming CCW....not really in my AO....a lot of "guy" folks have bags.

With the advent of the pads and tablets....a substantial number of folks have bags.