Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complacency and error.

Default Complacency and error.

I think I spend alot of time out in the bush. I always figure I know where I'm going or where I'm at.

This was not true Sunday.

I almost need maps to explain this so, google map "Harriet Hunt Lake, Ketchikan Alaska". If you can topo map it, it would be better.

The lake is about a 30 minute hike from the open alpine muskkeg (prairie essentially), that is just north of Harriet hunt, if you follow the snowmobile trails. I was parked at the northernmost cul de sac west of the lake.

Well, there's more than one snowmobile trail but I assumed (i know) that all of the snowmobile trails ended in the huge muskkeg.

I was wrong.

I followed one and ended up one saddle east of my destination where friends were to be waiting. If you have topo you will see I had to climb really high really fast to get to the of the ridge. I assumed I was looking down on the muskkeg I was heading for to meetup with Rick.

I was wrong again. I had overshot the top of the saddle and was off the other side.

The bush here is thick, I mean thick, like going through a hedgerow.

I decided to head due west to the ocean or a logging road. I found one, overgrown with alders but passible about 4 km away from my truck

I finally ended up on hardpack gravel road. I walked it till i hit Revilla Rd, which was WAY away from my truck. I started walking and hitchhiking back to the truck. Finally a country boy picked me up as city folk don't pick up cammoed rifle holders.

Anyway, I expected and planned for a 30 minute hike and sitting in a ground blind all day hunting. I started at 7am and ran out of water by 10. I could have filled up in any creek had I had my water filter, but a 30 minute hike, who needs it; RIGHT?

I made a mistake, actually a few. My main mistake was that I planned to the schedule, and what I knew. I never planned for Murphy to visit.

Always plan for Mr Murphy. Always, always, always. Had I broken a leg sliding down the creek I was in, I would have never been found, or found 2 days later.

Assume nothing.

This is another reason I don't go out alone here.

Anywho, I hope someone learns my mistake.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Sounds like you got back on track and that's very important. Admitting and correcting is essential. Great story.

Rebal, problem was that I was partially panicked at times cause I had a rendezvous.

Distracted over that.

Be cautious people.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That kind of thing can happen, often due to distraction.
    I'll file your story away, to remind me the next time I assume.
    Due to an experience I had I carry a small water filter in my pocket kit.
    Glad all is well.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Glad you made it out ok.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Thanks for the reminder. Most of all, I'm glad things turned out OK for you.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Glad it worked out OK. I'll bet there won't be a repeat any time soon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It happens to the best of us...and to the worst of us. I'm just glad things turned out well for you. A cell phone (if you have cell service) is always a good thing, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The most humbling thing was that the terrain forced my route. I knew where the lake was but I couldn't see it or go towards it due to the brush.

Yeah, You have just experienced the dreaded tectonic plate shift, known to all hunters on the same earth as the Bermuda triangle.

That compass in your head is wrong, the one in your hand (or two) IS right....but still hard to believe....if you even have one for a 30 min walk.

That's why I carry a lot of my stuff in my coat, any coat/all coats, so if I just am gonna walk over to the other side of the 40 to see if the corn is cut, and I don't carry my fanny pack, I'm still good with basics.

In a heavy snow, overcast day I wandered all over an 80 acre section, and was confused to the point, I resorted to "Lets sit down and think about this" stage........Then a truck went by on the road, about 60 yards away on his way out just before dark.....

I had no clue where I was.....It was the dreaded tectonic plate shift, I still believe.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for sharing...A lot of us have been in similar situations. Stories like this help keep us thinking about the "what if" before we head out.
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is a topo of the area
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, You have just experienced the dreaded tectonic plate shift, known to all hunters on the same earth as the Bermuda triangle.

That compass in your head is wrong, the one in your hand (or two) IS right....but still hard to believe....if you even have one for a 30 min walk.

That's why I carry a lot of my stuff in my coat, any coat/all coats, so if I just am gonna walk over to the other side of the 40 to see if the corn is cut, and I don't carry my fanny pack, I'm still good with basics.

In a heavy snow, overcast day I wandered all over an 80 acre section, and was confused to the point, I resorted to "Lets sit down and think about this" stage........Then a truck went by on the road, about 60 yards away on his way out just before dark.....

I had no clue where I was.....It was the dreaded tectonic plate shift, I still believe.....
    Awesome.

Have a map.

FinMe, thanks. Look at the contour intervals. Hahaha

I had 1000 ft to drop in 300 yards. -danger danger.

Gotta love a map. You don't need a compass if you can read contour lines. It's a lot faster too.

What you need is a compass map combo. I coulda shot the peaks and crosssectioned where I was exactly.

I still woulda had to gone back or the route I had. I woulda been 1 hr for 50 meters through the bush.
    Last edited by Winter; 10-11-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    What you need is a compass map combo. I coulda shot the peaks and crosssectioned where I was exactly.
    For you, OK

You actually should have called Rick and told him HE was lost but to stay put and you'd find him. By the time he figured out what really happened you'd be in your favorite hunting spot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't own a cell phone Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    For you, OK
    I understand what you are are saying. Problem is that I can't see 50 ft at times and side walking hills is a creek every 10-50 yards in a deep ravine. The map does not do it justice. What you have to do here is follow creeks or walk the tops of ridges and spurs. Look at the contour intervals. They ain't 10 or 20 ft, they are 100. 20-50 foot deep creek beds are not even shown.

This is a relatively flat spot and still has 20 ft sides.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Winter; 10-11-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Okay. We can work with that. Tell him you encountered the largest grizzly you had ever seen and you lost your cell phone in the fight. Tell him the bear got you in a piledriver then came back with an F5 that nearly did you in. Fortunately, you got him in a Hell's Gate submission hold and it was lights out for the bear. Oh, yeah. Tell him you're going back out this week-end to find the bear and make him pay for the lost cell phone.