Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complacency and error.

Settle down Rick.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That is interesting terrain........
    On a hunting trip to Missouri, found myself in a area in the Ozarks, that was very much ridges and ravines......If you were to look at a topo, (didn't have one) it would look like a tree trunk south, the north branches heading northeast and west. (did check my route of travel in the dark with compass)

Entering in the dark, a following the partner's lead, we all sorta picked out a branch to hunt on.

What I didn't know was there was a couple of more "trees" next to ours, and the "branches", kinda over lapped...allowing some one (me) to unwitting move on to the wrong "tree".

I guess I was supposed to "sit still"....and of course after a while, I had to "see what's over there".

As the day wore on and started heading back, those pesky tectonic plats started shifting around, and as it was getting dark I found my self well down on the wrong trunk.....

Loong walk back the way I had come, or directly down the ravine, back up the other side......or reason it out and make a decision.

I did know that the south border was marked by a 5 wire barbed wire fence.......was a big area, I just headed down hill, found the fence and turn right, and wandered in to the parking area, about 1/2 hour late....and acted like I knew what i was doing....(didn't, just lucky...Whew)

Know your area, (if possible), use your compass (s), and believe them, have a topo map if possible.......
    But also be aware of of the area, direction, sun, water flow, wind, if possible....and as many of us have found out there is really no such thing as a 3 hour cruise....Look what happened to Gillian

This was a good subject for a thread.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

As long as we learn from these errors, and live, it's all good.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I am getting to the point that I would rather take the long way around, either on the top or the bottom of a ridge rather than directly down, then back up the other side.........
    If i know where I going.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Although most of the time I can navigate without a compass and only a topo, there are those times when that darn compass proves it's weight. I always carry a compass, always.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Buddy, I HAVE BEEN THERE! I swear to never go it like that again! My quick day hike of 45 min ended up being the most miserable 5 hours I truly do not want to talk about.

I learned, always take: ground pad, some sleeping gear, some chow, extra water, decent flashlight, etc.. etc.. I was ready to camp the night (it got dark on me, in the middle of fighting out of a thicket), but I had no bivouc essentials what so ever. So even if I was hydrated okay, maybe some hypothermia might get me.... BTW, Ive since bought a Condor Golok, the USGI style machetes are junk at there job.

Andrew